Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4
There is something to be said for a concerted effort at creating a genuine income mix in any area. I think, regardless of one's opinion on this specific case, that we can all agree that we want to avoid having Downtown become a resort town for the super rich. A mix of uses and a mix of users is key to any neighbourhood. The question is, how do you make that happen, and to what extent is said mix offered...?
|
You can accomplish this by building condos of varying sizes, and quality (no, you don't NEED fine woods, granite, and stainless steel). You can then sell them for significantly cheaper.
Think CBC Towers on Robson which *gasp* has LINOLEUM and Arborite! How do those people LIVE with themselves, right?
You do not accomplish this by building social housing that costs more than the average home in Vancouver, and probably more than most of our homes.
My building has some of the finer, new, social housing in Vancouver. It is unequal housing, yes. My house is definitely nicer than theirs, but that's really the way it should be. As I'm the one paying $600k, and by doing so subsidize their housing, and I don't feel bad about that, nor should I. It is irresponsible of the government to spend this much money on a single unit, when by their own accounts they usually can build 2 or 3 of them and help more people with the same money.
Frankly I'm astounded homeless advocates haven't spoken out on this egregious waste of funds which will NEVER be replicated. So, really, use it to help as many people as possible.
Because this money is never coming again.