HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6021  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:26 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Puh-Leez! Here's a FIGHT on the subway...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xqefmD0XM

Here's hoping we don't get 'world class' like this.
That was terrible...i can't believe that the woman got hit..she was just trying to be a good samaritan for the other passengers. So ghetto.

But that was nothing compared to this...
• Video Link
     
     
  #6022  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:45 AM
usog usog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 580


Was coming home the other night and snapped this quick pic on my phone, confused the hell out of me. Anyways, find the lol.
     
     
  #6023  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:52 AM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post

Was coming home the other night and snapped this quick pic on my phone, confused the hell out of me. Anyways, find the lol.
Oh 🞵🞵🞵🞵 a train took a wrong turn

People who wanted to go towards lougheed ended up in Surrey. They better be careful as they may get jumped

Last edited by deasine; Mar 7, 2010 at 6:42 PM.
     
     
  #6024  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:31 AM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
the shootings and fighting are just horrible scenes = \

I guess we have it lucky that we aren't experiencing anything like that yet.

As for the technical error... well... at least the train is not BOed and disrupting traffic while it runs "the wrong way". I'm probably guessing the integration of the LED to the onboard computers must be somewhat problematic.
     
     
  #6025  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:15 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
Two kids get in a fight on the transit?
One of many reasons why drivers flocked back to their cars after the Olympics. In your own car you don't have to put up with this nonsense, or even minor things like teens dropping the F bomb every couple of seconds or sreeching into their cell phones. I couldn't believe we had folks like Toderian gushing about a new era in transit a few seconds after the Olympics ended.
     
     
  #6026  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:20 PM
gillty gillty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hyogo, Japan / Vancouver
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
One of many reasons why drivers flocked back to their cars after the Olympics. In your own car you don't have to put up with this nonsense, or even minor things like teens dropping the F bomb every couple of seconds or sreeching into their cell phones. I couldn't believe we had folks like Toderian gushing about a new era in transit a few seconds after the Olympics ended.
you must not drive very often...
     
     
  #6027  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:34 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by tGill View Post
you must not drive very often...
I do. And I don't have fights or swearing teens with cell phones in my car.
     
     
  #6028  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:18 PM
nova9 nova9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
I take transit during the work week. I have yet to see a fight like that so for people to think that that is a usual occurence seems odd. I take issue with people that don't take transit (at all or regularly) commenting on something they have no experience in.

Not that I'm saying you don't whatnext, I'm just saying a lot of people are avoiding transit based on these negative stories, some not even from translink but from other cities.
     
     
  #6029  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 10:58 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
i've never seen a fight most people are quiet and just sit there unless its extremely busy after a hockey game - the kinds that get on seem to be ones who don't use transit regularly and act loud and don't fit in and use it just to get to the game
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #6030  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 11:30 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,025
I use transit quite regularly and I feel that the reality is between the two general comments on here (the "it never happens" group and the "transit is violent" group).

Most of my trips on public transit have been calm with no incidents, but over the years here are my top memorable uncomfortable and scary situations:

1 - (happened just 2 weeks ago) Two men got into a large fist fight at Commercial Station, actually causing a delay of skytrain for 10 minutes and the closing off of the platform as they fought, awaiting the arrival of police. By then end of it both men were amazingly beat up (very 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵) and there were pools of blood on the platform.

2 - Several years ago the bus I was waiting for arrived, when it did arrive the bus driver informed us that the bus was going out of service for the day because there had been a stabbing on board only a few minutes ago and it was now a crime scene.

3 - About a year ago there were two 18 year old kids on the skytrain swearing their heads off (they were having some strange argument with each other), so much that when the train arrived at Metrotown station several passengers, (and I) complained about their behavior to the skytrain police at the platform and the two teenagers were kicked off.

Those are the three moments that quickly come to mind, but i do know that our system is often riddled with rude transit behavior. (one I really hate is people talking so loud on their cell phones that the entire car an hear them. newsflash, we don't give a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 about what you are doing tonight or if so and so is a 🞵🞵🞵🞵! (Please bring in family guy and the elevator scene with the guy on his cell phone).

As for one funny moment, I was coming back from Surrey and there was a couple beside me (older) who, judging by their comments, never ride transit. they were impressed for the first two stops until a homeless man came aboard with his bike at Scott Road station. Once aboard he opened a can of beer, and moments later spilled it all over the place. the smell of the man, combined with his dirty bike and the spilled beer literaly stank out the train car. I am willing to bet that was the last time that couple rode transit (first impressions are everything). I can not wait for fare gates!
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #6031  
Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 11:49 PM
cornholio cornholio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Puh-Leez! Here's a FIGHT on the subway...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xqefmD0XM

Here's hoping we don't get 'world class' like this.
bwaha and thats what you get with turnstiles. Couple more years for Vancouver to go that route.

By the way those guys are pathetic, if you cant fight then dont fight, one of those guys should have been KOd 30 seconds in to that fight, this isnt UFC where the fighters are equal. By the way watching that video I kept thinking how anoying that women is, I kind of thought to my self as a joke that im suprised those two guys dont turn on her, and then...karma.
     
     
  #6032  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 12:03 AM
Millennium2002 Millennium2002 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,742
(sigh)

Maybe once the police are freed up with the turnstiles then they could be shifted to actual patrol duties rather than checking fares.
     
     
  #6033  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 12:08 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Talking I Found The LOL

.... but someone found it begore I did, so I erased the body of this post. (wish I kne how to delete it entirely) ! ! !
     
     
  #6034  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 4:59 AM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
A really loud IPOD in my ears can do wonders to drowning out all the other people on transit.

But really 99% of the people have been mostly considerate. There was this one guy on the #20 at Broadway. That was laying across the back side seats and every so often he would grunt and suddenly let out this loud high pitched noise.

I almost wanted to to send him to the science lab to see if he was an alien or not
     
     
  #6035  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 8:37 AM
ozonemania ozonemania is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 678
I have to admit I don't take transit that often (North Shore), but in all my years I must say I'm blessed to have had no bad experiences on transit.

I just hate taking transit on some of those typical rainy humid dark days of Vancouver winters. You know, it's raining like crazy and you squeeze onto a crowded bus and everyone is a little soaked. It gets so warm in the bus that you see steam and it fogs up all the windows. And all you can smell is wet dog, bad breath, mildew and stale cigarette smoke.
     
     
  #6036  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 9:00 AM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
A really loud IPOD in my ears can do wonders to drowning out all the other people on transit.

But really 99% of the people have been mostly considerate. There was this one guy on the #20 at Broadway. That was laying across the back side seats and every so often he would grunt and suddenly let out this loud high pitched noise.

I almost wanted to to send him to the science lab to see if he was an alien or not
Good noise cancelling head phones make busses so much more pleasant.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
     
     
  #6037  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 9:43 AM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
I have to admit I don't take transit that often (North Shore), but in all my years I must say I'm blessed to have had no bad experiences on transit.

I just hate taking transit on some of those typical rainy humid dark days of Vancouver winters. You know, it's raining like crazy and you squeeze onto a crowded bus and everyone is a little soaked. It gets so warm in the bus that you see steam and it fogs up all the windows. And all you can smell is wet dog, bad breath, mildew and stale cigarette smoke.
One part that I'm lucky about personally. Is the fact that my sense of smell is not all that great. Sure I can smell something if it is strong enough. But the vast majority of the time most of the things I smell just blend in with everything else and so I really smell nothing in a way.
     
     
  #6038  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 8:51 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
2009 Q4 Ridership Result:

Code:
Mode		 Weekday	Q4 Change	Yearly Chg
==========	=========	=========	==========
SkyTrain	  340,900	 +37.88%	  +17.84%
SeaBus		   18,300	 +10.64%	   +4.36%
Bus		  517,000	  -2.11%	   +1.44%
Trolley		  196,900	 -13.95%	   -3.75%
WCE		   10,400	  -2.77%	   -2.23%
HandyDart	    2,400	 -49.57%	   -9.96%
TOTAL		1,086,500	  +5.04%	   +3.53%
Source
     
     
  #6039  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 9:22 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,717
Interesting. All pretty explainable except the decrease in trolley traffic. Were some routes altered in Q4?
     
     
  #6040  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 9:25 PM
Zassk Zassk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,303
I'm guessing the general decreases from a year earlier are due to the cost of fuel.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.