HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2961  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:36 AM
UTvision UTvision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 138
I think the best spot for the convention hotel would be somewhere its not connected directly to the Salt Palace. 2 Reasons- I've been to a few conventions where I never leave the hotel or convention center. Its always nice to even have to cross a street, that gives people temptation to go out and experience the city if they have time. Also, in the future if the convention center grows, to the point of needing another large hotel, it may be seen as unfair favoritism if its directly connected, especially if public funds are used.

If its located on West Temple it could help further develop retail/ restaurant businesses along that road.

Its also interesting that there are already 1,241 hotel rooms directly next to or across the road from the Salt Palace.
Shilo 200 Rooms
Marriott 510 Rooms
Plaza 150 Rooms
Radisson 381 Rooms
     
     
  #2962  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:36 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
You guys are something...

I can feel the love.

I am really looking forward to seeing the faces behind these threads and avatars. to all of you.
Why, are you adding us all on Facebook?
     
     
  #2963  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:38 AM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTvision View Post
I think the best spot for the convention hotel would be somewhere its not connected directly to the Salt Palace. 2 Reasons- I've been to a few conventions where I never leave the hotel or convention center. Its always nice to even have to cross a street, that gives people temptation to go out and experience the city if they have time. Also, in the future if the convention center grows, to the point of needing another large hotel, it may be seen as unfair favoritism if its directly connected, especially if public funds are used.

If its located on West Temple it could help further develop retail/ restaurant businesses along that road.

Its also interesting that there are already 1,241 hotel rooms directly next to or across the road from the Salt Palace.
Shilo 200 Rooms
Marriott 510 Rooms
Plaza 150 Rooms
Radisson 381 Rooms
I agree, I like a spot across the street from West temple more....and if traffic becomes a huge issue creating a pedestrian tunnel underneath West Temple. Plus it would make all the towers look closer together, rather than one lone one a block separated from the rest. Just my two cents.
     
     
  #2964  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:06 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
It doesn't seem too far away, does it? I actually think it kind of evens out the skyline.


Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

Our skyline could have been "worse," we might have had two large 40 story towers over at the Triad Center.


I say we still build them, but instead build them at the south end of Main Street:


     
     
  #2965  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:19 AM
UTvision UTvision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
It doesn't seem too far away, does it? I actually think it kind of evens out the skyline.

Our skyline could have been "worse," we might have had two large 40 story towers over at the Triad Center.
I don't think its too far away, I just think somewhere with more street interaction would be better. Many convention goers are used to walking all day long once inside anyways.

Is there a reason that residential buildings, 5-10 stories, a park, or something else couldn't be added to part of the roof? I know underground parking is located on the south end, but I think it would be great to add residential and a park to the north end. It doesn't seem like adding additional supports would be that difficult in the main convention hall.
     
     
  #2966  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 2:59 PM
cololi cololi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 690
I don't mind the location, but I hate the skybridge concept. There is nothing wrong with walking outside, crossing a street and adding people to the sidewalk at all times of the day. It is almost a tenet of urbanity to have people on the sidewalk. If the conference hotel can generate the number of people coming to the City as proponents claim, that will add a tremendous amount of vitality during the morning walk, at lunch and in the evening. A skybridge lessens that vitality. maybe not as much in the evening, but certainly at other times.

Plus, all businesses are much more viable in urban areas where there are as many pedestrians as possible. A skybridge takes pedestrians off the street, no matter where it is and no matter what it is connecting.

Last edited by cololi; Feb 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM.
     
     
  #2967  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 3:54 PM
SLC4L SLC4L is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Oh trust me they're building it, but it's invisible. You just have to believe that it's there. Either that, or just send greenbro a check and he'll show it to you
That reminded me of "The Shadow" with Alec Baldwin. There was a skyscaper that only he and few others could see. Everybody else just saw a fenced off lot.
     
     
  #2968  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 7:42 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
I don't mind the location, but I hate the skybridge concept. There is nothing wrong with walking outside, crossing a street and adding people to the sidewalk at all times of the day. It is almost a tenet of urbanity to have people on the sidewalk. If the conference hotel can generate the number of people coming to the City as proponents claim, that will add a tremendous amount of vitality during the morning walk, at lunch and in the evening. A skybridge lessens that vitality. maybe not as much in the evening, but certainly at other times.

Plus, all businesses are much more viable in urban areas where there are as many pedestrians as possible. A skybridge takes pedestrians off the street, no matter where it is and no matter what it is connecting.
I agree with you about sky-bridges, but putting it in context: I think the county plans to eventually expand the convention center to that block, and it's likely there will be some connection anyway. I guess it could be an underground connection, but it will be an off street connection none the less. Because I myself wouldn't mind it if the hotel were built on the plaza, thus having a direct connection, I wouldn't mind an off street connection since that would really be no different. There is reason enough to venture outside of the hotel and the convention center. I've been to a convention in denver where there was a skybridge connecting the hotel with the meeting space. However, anytime our group needed to eat, we left the hotel to find a place, we even went out to the clubs at night. There is just not enough a hotel and convention center can offer to people to keep them from venturing outside.

Last edited by urbanboy; Feb 24, 2010 at 8:08 PM.
     
     
  #2969  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 9:12 PM
cololi cololi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 690


The early morning coffee excursion for conference goers is a unique phenomenon to watch. You have those that either make the coffee in their hotel room, those that stop in the hotel lobby for a free cup or for a starbucks, those that hope the conference supplies it and those that will leave the hotel for a little coffee joint around the corner. But, I am willing to bet, that almost all conference goers get some sort of morning beverage (coffee, tea, diet coke, OJ, whatever). Only a very small portion will leave the hotel if the hotel is directly connected. Which would you rather see them do? Personally, I would love to see even 20% of conference goers visit a local establishment for their morning bevie.

The idea is that the pedestrian bridge is a deterrent to people leaving the conference center, maybe not as much in the evening, but at many other times of the day. There is absolutely no need for a skybridge. If the County decides to expand the convention center to that block in the future, then why build a skybridge in the interim? It makes no sense what so ever.

The bottom line is that a conference hotel should benefit the entire community at the highest level possible. A skybridge diminishes the benefit to local businesses.
     
     
  #2970  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 9:22 PM
cololi cololi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 690
     
     
  #2971  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post


The early morning coffee excursion for conference goers is a unique phenomenon to watch. You have those that either make the coffee in their hotel room, those that stop in the hotel lobby for a free cup or for a starbucks, those that hope the conference supplies it and those that will leave the hotel for a little coffee joint around the corner. But, I am willing to bet, that almost all conference goers get some sort of morning beverage (coffee, tea, diet coke, OJ, whatever). Only a very small portion will leave the hotel if the hotel is directly connected. Which would you rather see them do? Personally, I would love to see even 20% of conference goers visit a local establishment for their morning bevie.

The idea is that the pedestrian bridge is a deterrent to people leaving the conference center, maybe not as much in the evening, but at many other times of the day. There is absolutely no need for a skybridge. If the County decides to expand the convention center to that block in the future, then why build a skybridge in the interim? It makes no sense what so ever.

The bottom line is that a conference hotel should benefit the entire community at the highest level possible. A skybridge diminishes the benefit to local businesses.
Not only would the bridge or tunnel connect the hotel to the convention center, but it would also connect the convention center to the hotel convention space and meeting rooms creating a seamless flow of convention space and therefore, simultaneously expanding the convention centers available exhibit space. In other words, not only would the county be building a 1000 room hotel to attract larger convenions, but they would also be expanding the convention center by happenstance, making it even that more appealing.



That reminds me, the small retail space on the corner across from the main entrance to the convention center would be a perfect spot for a coffee/flower/chocolate shop... but it will need a cool sign like this to get people's attention:


Last edited by urbanboy; Feb 24, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
     
     
  #2972  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Residents of downtown hotel fight building's closure
February 23rd, 2010 @ 11:25pm
By Sarah Dallof

SALT LAKE CITY -- A disagreement between the Salt Lake Redevelopment Agency and residents of a downtown building is coming to a head.
Residents of the Regis Hotel are being evicted because the city says the building isn't sanitary or safe. Still, those residents say it's their home.

link:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=9794368


The place is a dump. The smell is nauseating even from the bus stop outside it on State St. I realize that there are some pretty vulnerable people living there, but if you're going to live in heavily subsidized housing, you take what you get. These people should have no problem moving to another location downtown. The property could be put to much better use as a new-mixed use development like the one that has been proposed.
     
     
  #2973  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 12:08 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


"Hey City thanks for heavily subsidizing our rent all these years, while all the while we don't all appreciate it and we treat it like a slum and it has thus become a stinky S*&$ Hole that is beyond repair. How dare you kick us out!"

I walked into the back door of that building once, attempting to get a look around to bid on the RDA project. As soon as I approached the door the smell was just awful, and I was in the building about five minutes before I couldn't stand to be there.

Yes I understand that the city has a duty to help support residents that are down on their luck or have disabilities that prohibit them from working, but just because they have lived there for all these years I still feel the city has the right to relocate them if they feel so inclined. And just think now they will have a recently renovated, cleaner, safer place to turn into a complete S*&@ Pile.

One more note. Great reporting there Sarah, "The Salt Lake County Redevelopment Agency which is run by the Salt Lake City Council..." The text says it right but the video doesn't. hehe
     
     
  #2974  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 12:49 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
My thoughts are similar, futuremayor. That building needs to come down, and one of the reasons is the well-being of those residents. It is not fit to be inhabited, whether as heavily subsidized housing or anything else.
The stupid papers are spinning this like the city is being monstrous. But the city has spent money and time to provide better housing for these people. It has given these residents plenty of notice, made them aware of the better options available to them. The city is in a position where it has the nearly impossible task of having to satisfy the interests of all types of its citizens, from the wealthy to the poor, the able to the disabled. This is an instance where I think the city has done an admirable job.
At the risk of sounding insensitive, I wonder if it's some of these people's inability to see and act reasonably that has landed them in such dire situations in the first place.
     
     
  #2975  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 1:00 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120


I don't think the building they are talking about is coming down, the plan was to restore it as a theater and lower income housing.
     
     
  #2976  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 12:29 AM
WeST's Avatar
WeST WeST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Murray
Posts: 340
I applaud Salt Lake City, if we are going to provide social welfare it is imperative that it come with a healthy dose of tough love. Unfortunately this entitlement and lack of appreciation mindset is all too common.
     
     
  #2977  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 5:28 AM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post


I don't think the building they are talking about is coming down, the plan was to restore it as a theater and lower income housing.
Oh yes, that's right. Either way, it can't stay as is.
So I didn't realize part of this redevelopment proposal was to restore the actual theatre. Does anyone know if the Children's theatre will get that space? Or are they being displaced as well?
     
     
  #2978  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 5:34 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Could you create a skyline image with these two towers at 35 or 40+?
     
     
  #2979  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 8:21 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
............

Last edited by SLC Projects; May 26, 2010 at 6:52 AM.
     
     
  #2980  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 8:36 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120


Hey Projects, I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel like you belong here. You definitely have contributed substantially to this forum, and although at times it may not have seemed like I or others appreciated your input, it is always great to have the perspective you bring as part of the conversation. You are always welcome here, and there is no need for an explanation if you decide to come back. Hope to hear from you again.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.