HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 5:06 PM

No, the bridge location does not impact the November election.

For those who are interested, the old iron bridge is now part of Richard Moya Park, which is behind the new airport. It's a neat old structure.

And an anecdote about pedestrians vs. vehicles on a bridge -- a very strange sensation a few years back running the Houston Marathon along Allen Parkway, where thousands of runners' feet pounding on the bridge at once caused the bridge to shake and bounce, it was very bizarre. I'd never thought about bridge movement and weight dynamics until I felt a bridge shaking underneath my feet like I would imagine an earthquake would feel.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 10:27 PM
Meh

Well, so few people actually walk across most bridges here, and the ones they do don't really wiggle. Even the Congress Avenue Bridge doesn't seem to wiggle much.

Now, we have a bridge here in South Austin on William Cannon that crosses the train tracks. I ride my bike across it, and sometimes I stop to take a picture of the skyline. That thing most certainly wiggles, sometimes enough to blur my photos! Buses run on William Cannon and cross the bridge, it's 6 lanes and there are even 18-wheelers (HEB trucks) that cross it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 11:47 PM

it's all in the engineering

Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin