Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12
I grew up in Burnaby and could pretty much duplicate what raggedy13 said. It is definitely the upper middle class suburban kids that are "growing up" and causing a large portion of the trouble in the Granville St area. Factors that lead to this are:
1) Money - kids are from well off families, maybe they don't need to work.
2) Access to a car to drive downtown
3) Need to "get away" as they are still living at home in their mid to late 20s, maybe with strict parents.
#3 can be a cultural thing, but regardless leads to them over-compensating when they are out of the house, doing stupid things.
Over all of this is a general lack of respect for society that young people have these days. Now excuse me as I hike my pants up and write a letter to the newspaper. 
|

I still think this is somewhat B.S. for the average housing prices are more expensive than that of suburban communities, so if anyone has money it is those living within Vancouver's borders.
Also, especially when it comes to Burnaby, is there really any difference between it and Vancouver? To me it honestly feels like the same city, Boundary street to me really seems like an artificial divide and I doubt it is what makes all the difference in youth.
But then where do you draw the line? I wonder how many of the trouble makers are Vancouver residents from areas not on the downtown peninsula. Is the Broadway area considered suburban? Or is it the Oakridge area one draws the line? Or is it anything east of commercial that one thinks people become considerably higher in skanky and douchbag behavior?
I honestly think it is really juvenile to think that an areas problems all come from outside. It may seem that way because Granville street is the prime entertainment street in our metro area, and since around 75% of our population lives outside the Vancouver boundary it would only make sense that maybe 75% of the trouble makers come from the burbs, but that does not make their behavior any worse than that of youth from Vancouver, it is simply proportionate to their population mass.
Vancouver really does extend far beyond its current borders. Also, if this theory were true, than clubs downtown, due to the higher concentration of Vancouverites (and non sububanites) should be far safer than the clubs located in the heart of these trouble making nests in the suburbs, but they are not!
Also, just the same as many people along Granville street come from out of Vancouver's borders, so do the people that comprise the scenes in Gastown and Commercial. So what changes there???
Just seems silly thinking to me.
Also, from what I have found, the most spoiled privileged kids come from wealthy families located in the west end of Vancouver and even from areas such as Yaletown.
But as long as it makes people on here feel better I guess.