HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #781  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:39 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
It was completely empty, though recently an "open" sign was on one of the doors. Windows on the upper floors were broken, some boarded over. (Apparently, the city only enforces boarding up windows on main floors. The NESCO building has to replace at least one board a month.) People have been breaking into the building on a fairly regular basis as well. In late November, someone threw a pair of gloves lit on fire into the building. According to someone who commented at TBNewsWatch, the owner of the building has been trying to sell it.

If that is where Northern Windows is keeping its doors then it explains why Arctic Doors moved out of the smaller building across from their showroom. They've grown a fair bit in the past few years, they renovated the building beside mine a few years ago and it is one of the more attractive buildings on the street. I especially like the corner window they installed, which wasn't there originally. I'm jealous of that little apartment. (Rooftop balcony overlooking the trains!)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #782  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:32 AM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
Vid, what do you estimate the retail vacancy rate to be of Simpson Street and the Fort William Core?

Also does anyone know of the progress of FWCI, McKellar Place and the Capitol Theatre (Habib Centre)?

With Startek closing out of Victoriaville, I wonder if the city will take the opportunity to remove the hideous parkade entrance and construct a new entrance at ground level. I think this was mentioned in the Fort William Renewal Plan along with streetscaping and a new south entrance to the mall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #783  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 6:10 PM
tjernobyl tjernobyl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 132
I don't know if there's been any work on the inside, but in the past month they built a new outer wall over the post-demolition scar on the west side of the former McKellar hospital.

No visible change at FWCI. They'd better get to it before people get too accustomed to using the grounds as an off-leash dog park and start forming committees.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #784  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 8:35 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
No visible change at FWCI. They'd better get to it before people get too accustomed to using the grounds as an off-leash dog park and start forming committees.
This city is so fucked up. "Save the vacant lot with a dilapidated building on it! We like to let our dogs 🞵🞵🞵🞵 there!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russman View Post
Vid, what do you estimate the retail vacancy rate to be of Simpson Street and the Fort William Core?
Based on a mental map of the street from memory, I counted 25 vacancies and 33 occupancies, which is a 43% vacancy rate. (I'm probably forgetting something though, and I didn't include the hotels, Prosvita or social services.) For the south core, I would estimate between 15% and 35%. The overall vacancy rate of both areas is probably closer to 50% when you include the abandoned hotels and vacant office space. TBDHC should look at converting some of the vacant buildings, like the West Hotel and Roy Building, into rental apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russman View Post
Vid, what do you estimate the retail vacancy rate to be of Simpson Street and the Fort William Core?
With Startek closing out of Victoriaville, I wonder if the city will take the opportunity to remove the hideous parkade entrance and construct a new entrance at ground level. I think this was mentioned in the Fort William Renewal Plan along with streetscaping and a new south entrance to the mall.[/QUOTE]

If the Parkade lacks a ramp inside the structure and the spiral ramp near the south entrance of the mall is the only way for vehicles to get between levels, it won't be very easily to accomplish that. They definitely need to do something about that area though. If they can't find a tenant soon they should look into opening up the south wall for street-level retail, like the Heart of the Harbour Parkade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #785  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 7:35 PM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
I don't know if there's been any work on the inside, but in the past month they built a new outer wall over the post-demolition scar on the west side of the former McKellar hospital.
Good to hear the project is progressing, even if slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
No visible change at FWCI. They'd better get to it before people get too accustomed to using the grounds as an off-leash dog park and start forming committees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
This city is so fucked up. "Save the vacant lot with a dilapidated building on it! We like to let our dogs 🞵🞵🞵🞵 there!"
No kidding. It is absolutely astounding that people can complain that we have too many empty buildings and then turn around and oppose a project to reuse one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Based on a mental map of the street from memory, I counted 25 vacancies and 33 occupancies, which is a 43% vacancy rate. (I'm probably forgetting something though, and I didn't include the hotels, Prosvita or social services.) For the south core, I would estimate between 15% and 35%. The overall vacancy rate of both areas is probably closer to 50% when you include the abandoned hotels and vacant office space. TBDHC should look at converting some of the vacant buildings, like the West Hotel and Roy Building, into rental apartments.
The 43% and 15 to 35% numbers sound about right, but are you sure about the 50% number? That is unbelievably high. Even some of the worst markets in the US only have a 25% office vacancy rate downtown. I guess that counts the West, Empire, Inntowner, and King Stereo Buildings though? If so, then that rate will drop dramatically when the King Stereo and Empire buildings are demolished and the new courthouse is built. The Roy Building is owned by Habib, you can find his page for that here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
If the Parkade lacks a ramp inside the structure and the spiral ramp near the south entrance of the mall is the only way for vehicles to get between levels, it won't be very easily to accomplish that. They definitely need to do something about that area though. If they can't find a tenant soon they should look into opening up the south wall for street-level retail, like the Heart of the Harbour Parkade.
Here is a diagram I created from memory of the Victoriaville Parkade. If I remember correctly, the entire parking surface is tilted on the Heart of the Harbour Parkade to facilitate going from level to level. Thus it would be very difficult to install a ramp inside the structure and it would result in many spaces being lost. I'm sure it would be possible to install a ramp toward the Donald Street wall though.

The call centre wraps around in a L shape along Donald and Syndicate, so the Syndicate wall could be opened up for retail as well.

I'm sure that idea was scrapped once StarTek moved into the former Bourke's and Northland Space. With the Buck or Two closing in Northwood Mall, then IMO if another large call centre wants to relocate here they would be better off in that space and the YA Canada space next door.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #786  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 12:09 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I know the Roy is owned by Habib. He also owns most of that stretch of Victoria Avenue now.

I was including the Empire in vacancies but not the Twin City Gas Building. While I am very sure the Empire will be demolished this spring, that is only something I've heard, not something I've seen published (though I haven't checked tenders or the proposed demolition budget yet). The West Hotel is a large building, so it will count for a higher percentage of the leasable area. Victoriaville has a lot of empty spaces, and a lot of the office buildings aren't completely full. Thunder Bay has a weird issue where there are a lot of office vacancies, but they're mostly small pockets all over the place instead of a large chunk of empty space in a single building. Those little patches add up. You also have to consider a lot of buildings on Hardisty aren't used much, half the Odeon is unused, the building BMO was in is completely empty as far as I know, and so on. 50% might be a bit high but I think 30% would be low.

If the Victoriaville Parkade doesn't have a way for vehicles to get from level to level without using the spiral ramp, then the setup along Syndicate will have to stay unless the parkade is dismantled and re-built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #787  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 6:18 PM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay has a weird issue where there are a lot of office vacancies, but they're mostly small pockets all over the place instead of a large chunk of empty space in a single building. Those little patches add up.
Unfortunately we have the same problem in retail as well. With more office construction at William and Balmoral, as well as along Golf Links and new retail in Innova Park, the problem will only get worse.

The development on the corner of Golf Links and Oliver Road was reported on tbnews a while ago as being a bar and restaurant operation. I believe that the restaurant will be a Subway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #788  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 7:39 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Subway smells funny. Weird that a bar would be attached to a Subway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #789  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 8:15 PM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
Their restaurant locator (here) shows a location at Golf Links and Oliver "not currently open".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #790  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 10:07 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Have you ever been to the Shell Select at the corner of Red River and Clarkson?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #791  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 6:53 AM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
No, why?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #792  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 1:01 PM
tjernobyl tjernobyl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by russman View Post
The Roy Building is owned by Habib, you can find his page for that here.
Was browsing around the site, and found the page for the former Riverdale School. Maybe I'd see it differently if I hadn't seen it as a fairly plain brick schoolhouse for most of my life, but wow. So many things bolted onto that building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #793  
Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 1:33 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
That is Habib's "thing". Take an otherwise boring building and stick as much superfluous 🞵🞵🞵🞵 onto it as possible. At least he is reusing them. It looks like they've finally redesigned the website, too. There is way more information on it than there was before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russman View Post
No, why?
About five or six years ago when it was a Mike's Mart, there was a Subway kiosk in it. When Beaver was converted to Shell, they kicked Mike's Mart out, gutted the place, and put in a Shell Select without a Subway kiosk. Even though they gutted the building, it still smells like Subway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #794  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 12:47 AM
Gitfiddler Gitfiddler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 62
I dunno if this has been posted, but a pretty cool T-Bay video. Great shots for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqg1oqfg_Y
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #795  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 5:18 AM
shreddog shreddog is offline
Beer me Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Taking a Pis fer all of ya
Posts: 5,532
^^ Brainfart, but what is the bridge at the start of the video??

Love the call out to Crystal - oooohhhh.
__________________
Leaving a Pis fer all of ya!

Do something about your future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #796  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 5:44 AM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
I think it's the Brown St rail overpass in Westfort.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #797  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 3:23 PM
shreddog shreddog is offline
Beer me Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Taking a Pis fer all of ya
Posts: 5,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by russman View Post
I think it's the Brown St rail overpass in Westfort.
Don't think so ... the old Brown St overpass wasn't covered and was steel ... the one in the video looks wooden and covered ... also I thought that the abandoned Brown St overpass was torn down ... here is how it looked 5 years ago ...


My photo.
__________________
Leaving a Pis fer all of ya!

Do something about your future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #798  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 7:54 PM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
I believe it was rebuilt?



from Isobel Adams on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/30479257@N04/3824700627/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #799  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 8:07 PM
shreddog shreddog is offline
Beer me Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Taking a Pis fer all of ya
Posts: 5,532
^^ Thanks ... it does look like it if taken with a long telephoto lens, though the bridge deb does look a little different.
__________________
Leaving a Pis fer all of ya!

Do something about your future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #800  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 9:25 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
They either had to rebuild it or give the city back all the land under their rail yard, so they rebuilt it. The only people who use it are people who enjoy the novelty of our perpetual bridge to nothing. It's made of steel that is just very rusty. It makes your hands red if you touch it.

There is a way to embed youtube videos, btw:

• Video Link


He has the ability to express pride in his community while admitting its faults. Something most people here can't even begin to comprehend.

Last edited by vid; Feb 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:27 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.