HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations



Related Pages:  • Chicago Projects & Construction Forum  • Chicago Highrise Developments Map


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3301  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 2:56 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,329
^ It's essentially concentrated housing for the poor

At least those are the complaints that I've heard..
__________________
Supercar Adventures is my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WNEwTDZlUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

People who say housing is a human right deserve to be homeless
     
     
  #3302  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 2:56 AM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
So I think the Roosevelt dorm tower and Ronald McDonald House fall under site prep/demo, right?

Herman Crown Center coming down. I assume the Pago Pago sign won't be around much longer.


211 E Grand - another old Streeterville building bites the dust



10 E Delaware


Hotel Palomar

     
     
  #3303  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 3:13 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

211 E Grand - another old Streeterville building bites the dust

Thank you for the heads up Spy Guy - Hopefully they are saving the facade for re-use. - I will miss the history in context - not only the nice facade but the walls with all the marks of change and use on them.



A few more shots from last summer in this mislabeled (?) album
__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
     
     
  #3304  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 12:45 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
EnV - 161 W Kinzi

Jan 15 - from the El stop.










__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
     
     
  #3305  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 2:55 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
200 W Lake

From above (Jan 13)


2009 Series - 2010 Series

Radical new design.


Jan 5
NW corner


From the West


Nearby amenities


Jan 13


__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
     
     
  #3306  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:09 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,941
GreenWay and Staybridge

In the best possible light.

Dec 29


Dec 29

Mounting brackets for turbines.

Dec 31




Dec 31


Still waiting - Jan 13


Still waiting - Jan 5
__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
     
     
  #3307  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:40 AM
a chicago bearcat's Avatar
a chicago bearcat a chicago bearcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
[i]Controversial tower gets Oak Park plan commission OK
January 15, 2010 2:29 AM

full article: http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/...-recommmend-approval-of-glass-tower.html

here's a rendering for reference:

There is no way they could possibly design that base to look at transparent and airy as they are rendering it. Which means I do not have a good feeling about this project.
     
     
  #3308  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:52 AM
a chicago bearcat's Avatar
a chicago bearcat a chicago bearcat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
So I think the Roosevelt dorm tower and Ronald McDonald House fall under site prep/demo, right?

Herman Crown Center coming down. I assume the Pago Pago sign won't be around much longer.
They aren't tearing down that structure,

unless they are pulling off a facadectomy on only that sliver

btw this image really highlights how the floor height changes after about the 15th floor

image can be found at
http://chicagoismynewblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/roosevelt.jpg
     
     
  #3309  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 5:36 PM
aspiringArchitect aspiringArchitect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 191
The Roosevelt Tower is going to be awesome. Tall and slender, like the Legacy, which is my favorite new building in Chicago as of now. Although I do wonder why they didn't chose to build it on the north side of the Herman Center where there is a parking lot right now. Granted the building it is replacing is pretty ugly, but I'd still rather see a usesless parking lot go before a pretty good sized building that could probably be put to some new use. Still, this is a great project. I'm looking forward to see it rise!

The Greenway Garage on the other hand, is a mess. If they had only thrown some different colored panels into the mix, it could have looked so much better. See this green garage in Santa Monica.

Or, even something like this would look good. I remember walking past this in Grand Rapids a couple years ago and being pretty impressed. From street level I thought it was an actual historic office building. (I think they had added windows since this picture was taken.)



Anyway, that's my spiel. I rarely comment on here but I just wanted to add my two cents on these two things.
__________________
M Y C H I C A G O T H R E A D S
Downtown and views | Views from the Trump | Urban bikeride
M Y O T H E R T H R E A D S
Millwaukee | Madison | Deer Valley, Utah | Grand Rapids | Chicagoland: Roselle, St. Charles, Wheaton, Woodstock
     
     
  #3310  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 5:41 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post


Dec 31
i love this shot. the architecture may be questionable (or not), but i love this image because it so clearly demonstrates the monumental change that dearborn & kinzie has undergone over the last few years. when i first moved to the neighborhood 3 years ago, none of the above buildings existed and the area was nothing but a huge swath of city-killing surface lots. now it at least looks like a city again.
__________________
"Missing middle" housing can be a marvelous middle ground for many middle class families.
     
     
  #3311  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 8:15 PM
FlashingLights FlashingLights is offline
Chicago Kid
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL, St. Charles, IL
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringArchitect View Post
The Roosevelt Tower is going to be awesome. Tall and slender, like the Legacy, which is my favorite new building in Chicago as of now. Although I do wonder why they didn't chose to build it on the north side of the Herman Center where there is a parking lot right now. Granted the building it is replacing is pretty ugly, but I'd still rather see a usesless parking lot go before a pretty good sized building that could probably be put to some new use. Still, this is a great project. I'm looking forward to see it rise!

The Greenway Garage on the other hand, is a mess. If they had only thrown some different colored panels into the mix, it could have looked so much better. See this green garage in Santa Monica.

Or, even something like this would look good. I remember walking past this in Grand Rapids a couple years ago and being pretty impressed. From street level I thought it was an actual historic office building. (I think they had added windows since this picture was taken.)

Anyway, that's my spiel. I rarely comment on here but I just wanted to add my two cents on these two things.
Good post I agree with you on Legacy and Roosevelt's Dorm Tower. They will be some of best looking new stock overall. The tall thinner buildings work well behind the old Michigan Avenue street wall. I think the location was fine student's I know at Roosevelt said the old Herman Crown Center building was horrendous and not even worthy of saving.

I tried really hard to like the green garage, but I can't really seem to like it no matter how hard I try. I'm never one to settle for "well it's better then a surface lot, or a parking garage", and in this case it is a parking garage. I think the "green" aspect kind of seems like a gimmick overall so that there would be less complaints about it being built, and it seemed to work.
     
     
  #3312  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 10:04 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,393
Roosevelt doesn't own that parking lot at the corner of Van Buren. Herman Crown Center isn't sprinklered (or air-conditioned, I think), so they'd face big costs to continue using it.

Only the façade of the Fine Arts Annex will be saved. The interior had been drastically altered at least twice.
     
     
  #3313  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 10:44 PM
FlashingLights FlashingLights is offline
Chicago Kid
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago, IL, St. Charles, IL
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Roosevelt doesn't own that parking lot at the corner of Van Buren. Herman Crown Center isn't sprinklered (or air-conditioned, I think), so they'd face big costs to continue using it.

Only the façade of the Fine Arts Annex will be saved. The interior had been drastically altered at least twice.
Yes, it was going to cost them more money to renovate and install a sprinkler system up to code than to just restart. In addition the interior was terrible by almost all accounts. The building was really not architecturally significant anyways.

I was curious if anyone knew the original date of completion on the Herman Crown Center that is now destroyed, Emporis doesn't have the information.
     
     
  #3314  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 11:32 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,393
Herman Crown Center
425 S. Wabash
17 stories, 364 beds
1971, Mittelbusher & Tourtelot

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM.
     
     
  #3315  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 12:00 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 16,991
Yea, I'm pretty sure that the Fine Arts annex will be a facadectomy. It makes sense, I guess - there's really no good way to integrate such a narrow building into the dorm tower.

If we're lucky, Roosevelt may build the party wall out of Chicago common, but I'm not holding my breath... they'll probably go for infill panels in the concrete frame.

I like Greenway Garage - the channel glass looks good and the concrete provides a nice counterpoint. It's the god-awful puke-green glass panels that I can't stand. Why don't they just use a bluish glass to match the channels?
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
     
     
  #3316  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 4:41 AM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
Closeted Normie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 13,221
^Puke green? No my friend, they're diarrhea brown.
__________________
The guy above me designs synthetic hairballs for ceramic cats

Sic semper tyrannis
     
     
  #3317  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:18 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 16,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee
^Puke green? No my friend, they're diarrhea brown.
What color is your diarrhea?
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
     
     
  #3318  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:20 PM
BorisMolotov's Avatar
BorisMolotov BorisMolotov is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 548
That question is something best reserved for a doctor-patient conversation, not a Chicago building forum.
     
     
  #3319  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:54 PM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringArchitect View Post
The Roosevelt Tower is going to be awesome. Tall and slender, like the Legacy, which is my favorite new building in Chicago as of now. Although I do wonder why they didn't chose to build it on the north side of the Herman Center where there is a parking lot right now. Granted the building it is replacing is pretty ugly, but I'd still rather see a usesless parking lot go before a pretty good sized building that could probably be put to some new use. Still, this is a great project. I'm looking forward to see it rise!
There is another dormitory proposed for that parking lot. This project, however, faces opposition from Ald. Fioretti.
__________________
flickr
     
     
  #3320  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:04 PM
VivaLFuego's Avatar
VivaLFuego VivaLFuego is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Island
Posts: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
This project, however, faces opposition from Ald. Fioretti.
Students might have the gall to be on the sidewalk talking to each other at the sinfully late hour of 11pm, and that's just not within the character of the quiet, residential 2nd Ward. What do you think this is, some kind of downtown of some kind of city? Such and such little old lady moved to this neighborhood in nineteen dickety four before it was cool and we made this neighborhood what it is, and you want to come in here and....

Well, either that standard nonsense of old people who missed the fact that it's no longer 1972, or the developer hasn't yet ponied up an adequately sized campaign donation just yet.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.