HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture


    345 California Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 7:50 AM
plinko's Avatar
plinko plinko is offline
them bones
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Santa Barbara adjacent
Posts: 7,709
Thumbs up SAN FRANCISCO | 345 California Center | 695 FT/212 M | 48 FLOORS | 1986

345 California Center is the third tallest tower in San Francisco. The building is a 37 floor office building with an 11 story Mandarin Oriental Hotel on top.

The six sided tower actually sits mid-block on four sides and it is surrounded by four much older historic midrises. The tower breaks at the hotel into two square rotated prisms. These two towers at the top are connected by glass skybridges. The hotel towers are capped by offset spires which form what many say looks like a pair of tweezers.

The tower was the largest tower in the city built in the 1980's and the last 600'+ tower built until 2008! By roof height (630ft) it would be the 5th tallest in the city.

I like the form of this building (particularly the hotel portion at the top), but the way that the tower sits amongst its neighbors at the base is just odd. The street entry is set WAY back from California Street in a deep dark plaza and the angular facades meet the sidestreets in an odd manner.

One of these days I've got to go and stay at the Mandarin Oriental. I really want to see the city from the skybridges.













Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 10:55 AM
Jobohimself Jobohimself is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 161
Ah, the "Tweezer Tower". This and 555 California my my two favorites in San Francisco. I used to walk by this tower every day on my way to work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 4:53 PM
Amanita's Avatar
Amanita Amanita is offline
Crane Goddess
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,235
I've got a couple of nice pics of this one somewhere. I really do like this tower, one of these days I intend to stay in her hotel. The bridge-to-bridge room is sweet, apparently!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 11:10 PM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,607
Very interesting building, it seems like it's usually overlooked. I'd love to see a picture of the view from those skybridges!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.