HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7921  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 6:44 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
The big minus of developing the Felix dealership is that it'd erase the skyline view through the Galen Centers atrium windows if it's more than a story or two tall. Not that I mind, but I think that was the point of those windows.
My opinion too; otherwise, why would a sports arena need to have windows like that; I think they were indeed made so that you can see the skyline view.
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
     
     
  #7922  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 6:49 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
^ They were indeed, but that does not take away the right of the land owners north of that property from developing their land. And I would argue that a 5-10 story building with street frontage on those parcels immediately north of Galen Center would do far much more for the area - and the City - than the view of the skyline from inside the stadium.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
     
     
  #7923  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 7:02 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
What I would do (this is all IMO of course) in terms of the area surrounding the Galen Center/USC is have lots of condos/apartments/student housing similar in style to these building that are in Scottsdale, Arizona. I think buildings like these would be perfect for the area around USC.






(pbrdpbrd)
__________________
Washed Out
     
     
  #7924  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 7:33 PM
Crackertastik Crackertastik is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubris View Post
Yes, that's exactly it; it's the same design for the length of an entire block on Fig. The landscaping and streetscaping should hopefully break it up a bit.

I like that the developer went with a design that fits the USC motif.
It fits the USC Motif because I think it is a USC project, and as mandated by the president (for better or worse depending on opinion) these projects must be of the USC Brick facade motif.

Which is why this new building is in the same style as most of the USC campus.
__________________
No offense Lindbergh, but get outta here! We got 700 footers to put up!
     
     
  #7925  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 9:50 PM
pesto pesto is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,546
Brick and stone are certainly traditional for college campuses, from New England to UCLA. But SC also has some Spanish style, and that is almost always appropriate in LA. That would also tie-in with the gorgeous Auto Club HQ building (and, no, I don't include Taco Bell in "Spanish-style").

It is possible to beat the brick-style to death, if it spreads all up and down Fig and Jefferson, etc.
     
     
  #7926  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 10:01 PM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is offline
Inveterate Angeleno
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,652
All of the scaffolding has been removed from University Gateway and the facade is now fully exposed.
__________________
“To tell a story is inescapably to take a moral stance.”

— Jerome Bruner
     
     
  #7927  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 4:02 AM
StethJeff's Avatar
StethJeff StethJeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
My opinion too; otherwise, why would a sports arena need to have windows like that; I think they were indeed made so that you can see the skyline view.
There's no point to those windows since they close the curtains during the games so that outside light doesn't interfere with the television broadcasts.
     
     
  #7928  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 4:03 AM
edluva edluva is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,118
USC's mandate for brick motifs inhibits experimentation. whatever department at usc is responsible for drafting the design guidelines lacks vision. usc's newer buildings are conservative and uninspiring, and appropriately reflects the school's overall culture of mediocrity and conservatism. galen center is an architectural joke. if a university could be a douchebag...
     
     
  #7929  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 4:18 AM
CRE8IVEDESTRUCTION's Avatar
CRE8IVEDESTRUCTION CRE8IVEDESTRUCTION is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Bend In
Posts: 116
When I first found this thread I was stoked. Since I was very little I've been in love with architecture and being from L.A, of course I've always been fascinated with downtown. It's been three years since I've been in Los Angeles and I can't believe how much has changed just by looking at these pics. I'm really excited to say the least! Broadway (the Historic Core in general) will always be my favorite and I can't wait to go back home and walk DT with my Canon...when I do I'll make sure to post them here.
     
     
  #7930  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 4:40 AM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
^ Welcome to the forum, crea8tivedestruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
USC's mandate for brick motifs inhibits experimentation. whatever department at usc is responsible for drafting the design guidelines lacks vision. usc's newer buildings are conservative and uninspiring, and appropriately reflects the school's overall culture of mediocrity and conservatism. galen center is an architectural joke. if a university could be a douchebag...
I'm going to have to disagree with you on some of these points, ed. Conservatism is not generally a trait of a douchebag, at least how it's more commonly defined. I'll give you the mediocrity part, though.

As for USC's mandate for brick motifs, I don't think this was the case with University Gateway. UG was developed by Urban Partners, not USC. And from what research I've done, USC did not own the land prior to Urban Partners acquiring it. So I don't think their design standards apply here. I think this was a decision on the part of Urban Partners to fit into the campus motif. USC is leasing 70,000 sq. ft. of retail space in the development for a new bookstore, but I highly doubt that negotiation had much to do with the design motif of the building.

As for some of USC's recent buildings, some of them are quite bad, including the Galen Center, which I'm not the biggest fan of. But the Tutor Center being built in the center of campus is quite the contrary, a decent re-creation of the original Student Union building (still standing) using quality materials for the facade, and replacing a poor attempt at marrying 60's style modernism with the classic brick motif that was the old addition to Student Union.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
     
     
  #7931  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 6:51 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,186
L.A. County again considers reopening Hall of Justice

Woo hoo! I love this building; it's so historic. I hope it does get restored and put to use again.

From the Los Angeles Times:

L.A. County again considers reopening Hall of Justice

Closed since it was damaged in the 1994 Northridge quake, the historic downtown edifice could now be affordable to repair, thanks to federal funds and reduced construction costs.

By Garrett Therolf
December 2, 2009

Los Angeles County's Hall of Justice, vacant since it was damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, might be reopened. The Board of Supervisors ordered staff Tuesday to prepare a report within 45 days on the feasibility of again using the facility, noting that construction costs have decreased over the last year and that available federal funds have increased.

The ornate 14-story building, at the corner of Temple Street and Broadway in downtown Los Angeles, was built in 1925 and once housed a jail, county courts and coroner's, sheriff's and district attorney's offices. After the magnitude 6.7 Northridge earthquake, then-Sheriff Sherman Block estimated the cost of repairing the building at $100 million, which he said probably meant it would be permanently vacated.

The possibility of reopening the Hall of Justice was revisited in 2001, after Sheriff Lee Baca pushed a plan to relocate his headquarters there. Ultimately, it was deemed too costly to pursue.

Baca's spokesman, Steve Whitmore, said Tuesday that his boss was "very gratified" that the idea was moving forward now.

"He thinks that the Hall is where the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department should be headquartered," Whitmore said. "Not only is it an important landmark, he believes the department's history is there, and it is physically at the center of Los Angeles County."

[email protected]

Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
     
     
  #7932  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 7:18 AM
LosAngelesBeauty's Avatar
LosAngelesBeauty LosAngelesBeauty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ They were indeed, but that does not take away the right of the land owners north of that property from developing their land. And I would argue that a 5-10 story building with street frontage on those parcels immediately north of Galen Center would do far much more for the area - and the City - than the view of the skyline from inside the stadium.
__________________
DTLA Rising
     
     
  #7933  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 3:45 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
That's great news if they do indeed go forward with restoring and reopening the Hall of Justice. It's a beautiful building, and it would be great to see it cleaned up, activated, and have those barricades removed.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
     
     
  #7934  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 5:56 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
I love seeing the Hall of Justice building whenever i''m on the 101. For me, it's the most beautiful building in the area other than City Hall.

BTW, why have there been barricades? They're STILL going through repairs?
__________________
Revelation 21:4
     
     
  #7935  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 6:47 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
^ I presume so that no one gets into the building while it is vacant.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
     
     
  #7936  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 7:05 PM
JDRCRASH JDRCRASH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 8,100
BTW, when was the last time the first page was updated?
__________________
Revelation 21:4
     
     
  #7937  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 5:00 AM
RuFFy's Avatar
RuFFy RuFFy is offline
FlyyyFALiiFe
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 364
I might be wrong but the concrete barricades were put up around federal and county buildings after 9/11. It's been a while since I've been there but I remember driving past them daily on my commute home. I'm not sure if that's what you guys are talking about though.
     
     
  #7938  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 8:45 AM
edluva edluva is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on some of these points, ed. Conservatism is not generally a trait of a douchebag, at least how it's more commonly defined. I'll give you the mediocrity part, though.
well, i never tied conservatism with douchebaggery. my suggestion was that usc espouses a culture which exonerates "tradition" which, to the contrary of its aims, is painfully self-conscious and totally fabricated, and this douchebag trait in turn manifests in all aspects of university culture, including the school's uber self-conscious mandate for brick facades in a time and place where such elements are neither necessary, practical, nor innovative. and most ironically, in spite of touting a "leading" school of architecture, usc continues in its habit of commissioning mediocre architects to pollute its campus with buildings manage to offend with the consistency of their mediocrity. but what do we expect from a school which counts rick caruso as board member of public policy and planning?

architecturally and otherwise, usc is a douchebag school. a wannabe prestigious. oh does it try so hard for respect. this school could only have come about in los angeles.

and i never alluded to university gateway as being a product of the school's mandate (though it definitely absorbed the same douchebag traits of its neighboring campus)
     
     
  #7939  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 2:28 PM
Avanine-Commuter Avanine-Commuter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
architecturally and otherwise, usc is a douchebag school. a wannabe prestigious. oh does it try so hard for respect. this school could only have come about in los angeles.

and i never alluded to university gateway as being a product of the school's mandate (though it definitely absorbed the same douchebag traits of its neighboring campus)

Agreed about the douchebaggery of USC- but please explain how "this school could ONLY HAVE come about in los angeles"... Is "wannabe prestigious" not possible in other cities? Is trying for respect only something done in L.A.? Please, stop spewing your filth and say something sensible.

Why is it that all concerning L.A. is negative? I have yet to see ONE positive comment coming from your posts.
     
     
  #7940  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 5:39 PM
pesto pesto is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,546
edluva: how childish! and how ignorant. I was hoping you would drop the embarrassing attempts at sophisticated architectural analysis until you get some education, but apparently not.

I went to UCLA and to schools back east so I am no great USC fan sports-wise; however, they are very far from conservative and pretentious. In fact they are a remarkable story in the education world. If you really are interested in this subject, please google any discussion of collegiate programs, or call up the SC admissions or academic programs office. They can point you to the relevant facts. Seriously, visit the film or music or electronic media studios and talk to the people. I have; they won’t bite you.

Citing examples would take too long so let me just focus on a couple: Using the available metrics (SAT’s), the average SC student now is a LOT brighter than the average UC Berkeley or UCLA student and is rapidly closing on Stanford. In rankings such as US News, SC has higher undergrad SAT’s than any school of comparable size in the country except for one (Cornell, an Ivy League school). Of the schools with higher SAT’s only Cornell is within 600 in size of entering class (Cornell and SC have about 3000; Penn 2400; Notre Dame, Northwestern around 2000). The rest are all very good schools but with much smaller incoming classes so not comparable.

The grad schools are similarly making huge strides and the arts programs are very strong as well (admittedly not quite the breadth of the UCLA or Cal Arts programs, but neither is Michigan, Berkeley, Harvard, Princeton, etc.). Engineering is top 5 in the country (yes, top 5), higher than any Ivy League School. Film, media and electronic arts are outstanding, as are music and theater. Again, not as edgy or experimental as UCLA or Cal Arts, but hardly conservative.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.