HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 5:09 AM
CBalanecki CBalanecki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basilbrush View Post
Sutton Place Hotels bought the old YMCA for obvious reasons. Not sure about the 12 storey parkade, but i would guess Oxford. Wicked ride from the top down the central spiral.
First post - I've been lurking here for a long time, and really enjoy this site. I have learned a lot, given that I have no architectural skill or sense of design - I just know I like buildings - hence the reason I haven't posted - I really have nothing to add (except now ). I first realized my love of skyscrapers when I went to Vista 33 in the Telus Tower (then AGT) in the late 70's.

Anyway - my point about the old downtown YMCA - I work at the Y, and while Sutton has inquired about the building, it was not sold. It's still being used for the admin and housing (6 floors of low rental housing). The rec facilities are not being used. There are plans to build a new housing complex around 96 street, but that is just in the funding stage, meaning it could take a while to get off the ground.

The building is showing it's age - originally built in the 1920's (if remember correctly) and upgraded in the 50's. As the Y is technically a non-profit organization, they have focused on the rec centres, which has left little for renovation and upkeep for the the original building. They are trying, though, but it may be a losing battle.

The other building on 105 street was bought and donated to the Y. It's also an admin building (where my office is) and has some community programs. They now own all their buildings.
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.