HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2141  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 7:19 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120


Yes I agree! the tighter we can get these in there, the better!
     
     
  #2142  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
goldcntry's Avatar
goldcntry goldcntry is offline
West bench livin'
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daybreak (So. Jordan), UT
Posts: 791
How much of a problem would Salt Lake's large city blocks pose for arranging dense brownstones? Small roadways? Pedestrian paths? Mini parks?
__________________
Giant Meteor 2024
Just end it all already.
     
     
  #2143  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 2:08 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
How much of a problem would Salt Lake's large city blocks pose for arranging dense brownstones? Small roadways? Pedestrian paths? Mini parks?
I think the big blocks would actually help because they'd allow a large area for development - with major roads on all 4 sides, and also big enough to add whatever is needed - roadways, greenspace, parking, etc.
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info

Last edited by TonyAnderson; Nov 14, 2009 at 6:08 AM. Reason: roads not rounds
     
     
  #2144  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 5:15 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,740
Salt Lake's large blocks create infinite opportunities for creativity. As has been mentioned, we just need the continued building of political, community and philanthropic will. Piece by piece, Downtown Salt Lake City is becoming a stunning district.
     
     
  #2145  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 3:54 AM
RFPCME RFPCME is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
The Phantom Tower

"The Phantom Tower" that Greenbro has been hinting at has taught me a good lesson. It defies common sense, but I still hold out hope, which pretty much defines my life and is why this is the only forum on the internet that I follow and post on. I have to ask myself "why?"

Tis true that tall buildings seem to define us as human, not just in the US but everywhere. We all want, or so it seems, to leave our mark on the planet. And tall building do that. Been going on for thousands of years.

It also seems that Salt Lake is always striving to gain recognition and acceptance. So the urge to build lasting monuments is acute in Salt Lake...and that's okay. It's better than okay. It's what makes the forum interesting.

I lived and worked in Western Europe during the mid-90's. I loved the sophistication, where people spent more time reading and talking than watching TV. But what I could not live without, and what I believe defines us as Americans, is our general belief that nothing is impossible. Our faith that we can do anything if we set our minds to it is particularly strong in Salt Lake...and Utah in general, which is why I don't really care if Greenbro's tower is real or not.

Just thinking that something can happen is a big step. In my 60-plus years on this planet, I've learned the biggest impediment we all face is setting limits on ourselves. Once those limits are gone, then "amazing happens."

So maybe Greenbro has taken us for a ride with his Phantom Tower. Doesn't matter. As long as no one cheated anyone, then he has probably done us a favor. We realize another high-rise is entirely possible. Maybe not this year, nor next. Maybe not Greenbro's people. Maybe someone else. But it will happen and more will follow, because we will figure out a way to get it done. And for that I am grateful.
     
     
  #2146  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 4:14 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
That was probably one of the best posts I've heard. It is interesting to realize why us forumers take such a strong interest in this. I think you're reasoning as to why is true. It's important because these are symbols of strength, growth, new expressions of physical reality, and hopefully a better life through better built suroundings.
     
     
  #2147  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 5:51 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
"The Phantom Tower" that Greenbro has been hinting at has taught me a good lesson. It defies common sense, but I still hold out hope, which pretty much defines my life and is why this is the only forum on the internet that I follow and post on. I have to ask myself "why?"

Tis true that tall buildings seem to define us as human, not just in the US but everywhere. We all want, or so it seems, to leave our mark on the planet. And tall building do that. Been going on for thousands of years.

It also seems that Salt Lake is always striving to gain recognition and acceptance. So the urge to build lasting monuments is acute in Salt Lake...and that's okay. It's better than okay. It's what makes the forum interesting.

I lived and worked in Western Europe during the mid-90's. I loved the sophistication, where people spent more time reading and talking than watching TV. But what I could not live without, and what I believe defines us as Americans, is our general belief that nothing is impossible. Our faith that we can do anything if we set our minds to it is particularly strong in Salt Lake...and Utah in general, which is why I don't really care if Greenbro's tower is real or not.

Just thinking that something can happen is a big step. In my 60-plus years on this planet, I've learned the biggest impediment we all face is setting limits on ourselves. Once those limits are gone, then "amazing happens."

So maybe Greenbro has taken us for a ride with his Phantom Tower. Doesn't matter. As long as no one cheated anyone, then he has probably done us a favor. We realize another high-rise is entirely possible. Maybe not this year, nor next. Maybe not Greenbro's people. Maybe someone else. But it will happen and more will follow, because we will figure out a way to get it done. And for that I am grateful.
You're feeling very philosophical today? I think for me it's a matter of recognition in a way - it's sort of like every city in America is competing with eachother - and in many ways it's measured by how big your skyline is - because that equates to more business, more jobs, and more people living there - which in itself equates to more of well..everything that comes with more people and money.

I've grown up in Utah and really love it, so I want to have a great and global city here, and have everything that comes with that, and Salt Lake's our only real hope.

A bigger tower here would mean more than in other cities I think, because we have a pretty small skyline, especially height wise - it makes people believe the City is still relatively small - which in a way is true - a bigger tower would bring more instant recognition, more people, more jobs, and more money. If I lived in say New York, or Chicago, I wouldn't get nearly as excited about new towers (though I would get excited).

I love Utah as a state and want it to have a little of everything - rural, small cities, medium, and at least one great urban city. - obviously Salt Lake being that.
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
     
     
  #2148  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 1:35 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,740
Well said Tony, my sentiments exactly!
     
     
  #2149  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 1:42 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,740
The envelope please: Utah architects lauded for design

Awards » Entries to AIA contest show sustainable design values and goals.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13785547


Courtesy AIA The Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building at the University of Utah won top honor awards at the Utah Chapter American Institute Architects contest.

Three Utah buildings, one a community center focused on physical play and the others devoted to pursuits of the mind, won top honors Friday from the Utah chapter of the American Institute of Architects.

Every year, the Utah AIA acknowledges the best designs of architects working in the state. This year, the competition attracted more than 50 entries, an increase from the previous year...


.
     
     
  #2150  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 5:55 PM
East2Westback East2Westback is offline
NYC Rick
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tappan, New York
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
You're feeling very philosophical today? I think for me it's a matter of recognition in a way - it's sort of like every city in America is competing with eachother - and in many ways it's measured by how big your skyline is - because that equates to more business, more jobs, and more people living there - which in itself equates to more of well..everything that comes with more people and money.

I've grown up in Utah and really love it, so I want to have a great and global city here, and have everything that comes with that, and Salt Lake's our only real hope.

A bigger tower here would mean more than in other cities I think, because we have a pretty small skyline, especially height wise - it makes people believe the City is still relatively small - which in a way is true - a bigger tower would bring more instant recognition, more people, more jobs, and more money. If I lived in say New York, or Chicago, I wouldn't get nearly as excited about new towers (though I would get excited).

I love Utah as a state and want it to have a little of everything - rural, small cities, medium, and at least one great urban city. - obviously Salt Lake being that.
Salt Lake City itself feels like a real city. It seems however that the American dream of having your own house and land took over and thus the city spread.

I think that for the first time the concept of a downtown is realistic. A downtown that is vibrant and exciting. It certainly was tres dull when I grew up there. The fostering of a real core is a key element to any city.

If you lived in NYC and knowing you are a high-rise fan...you would never stop shooting pictures.
     
     
  #2151  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,740
Downtown S.L. thrived as shopping mecca for century

Stores such as ZCMI and Auerbach's were popular destinations


http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705344802/Downtown-SL-thrived-as-shopping-mecca-for-century.html

Before there were shopping malls, there was downtown.

And for more than 100 years, Salt Lake City's downtown was the state's number one shopping destination.

With a vibrant commercial district, Salt Lake's Main Street offered a little bit of everything. Businesses that carved a name in the history of downtown include ZCMI, Auerbach's, P.W. Madsen Furniture, the Dinwoodey furniture company and Dayne's Music, to name a just a few...


A Modern Day Traffic jam on Main Street and 2nd South. Deseret News Archives (Deseret News Archives)


Looking North on Main Street in 1910. Trollies, horse carriages and early autos dot the street. The Newhouse and Boston Buildings can be seen on the right. Deseret News Archives (Deseret News Archives)


The Constitution Building in Downtown Salt Lake in August of 1956. The building hosted the KK Home & Garden Shop, Sizzling Steaks Cafe and Bradley and Badger's. Deseret News Archives (Deseret News Archives)


Shopping on Main Street with an earlier version of Tracks in 1932. On the right you can see Daynes Jewelry Store and the Burger Barn. (Deseret News Archives)

.
     
     
  #2152  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 2:55 PM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
Delts, thanks for trying to make the forum interesting while being so limited in content.

I think downtown didn't change, it was the suburbs. Some clever entrepreneurs decided to build ZCMI, JC Penney, and the other stores in the suburbs. After that there was way less reason to come downtown. People could get what they wanted without driving so far.

The trick to revitalizing downtown is to offer something you can't get in the suburbs. I think that has yet to be imagined. It could be the Church should have gone a little farther in creating something unique and attractive-- maybe a little bit of Las Vegas instead of "a little bit of Paris". It could be the squeaky-clean, Church-approved offerings will not be as attracive as they need to be to bring people downtown. After all, you can get the same thing at your local strip mall. I think somebody else will have to build it, but they won't have the advantage of three blocks to work with.

It could turn out that the dreaded sky-bridge is the main attraction.

Last edited by Sight-Seer; Nov 16, 2009 at 3:32 PM.
     
     
  #2153  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 5:01 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,740
If you haven't already, make sure to check out Tony's great new thread on St. George. It is fanspectabulous!!!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=175590

Hopefully, there will evolve enough of a mix of residential, unique clubs, eateries, retail,(perhaps local or national retail, but only one of a kind for the intermountain region). Just from what is already happening with the new establishments these past couple of months, it looks very promising.

Sight-Seer, do you know or anyone on the forum if Dinwoodys old front is still intact under the bland cladding of the 50's/60's? I think that original front is incredible. I would even say it's as attractive as the Odd Fellows facade.


The Dinwoodey Furniture building, The company is celebrating Utah Statehood in 1896, a Piano and Music Store on the right and Robinson Brothers Shoes on the left. Deseret News Archives (Deseret News Archives)

Last edited by delts145; Nov 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM.
     
     
  #2154  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 8:29 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Come out come out wherever you are. It's ok to post now.

TMAC and all you other forumers lurking, those forumers who were causing contention have been suspended. So, please come back and contribute to the forum.
     
     
  #2155  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 9:57 PM
Wasatch_One's Avatar
Wasatch_One Wasatch_One is offline
Wen Lambo
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,326
You can always access T-Mac's photo blog if he has decided to no longer access the forum.
     
     
  #2156  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Braza Express is now open for business on Main Street!

The signage on the building looks pretty cool.

There will also be a "Grand Opening" on Wednesday, November 18th.

http://brazaexpress.com/index.html

Now Bayleaf cafe, Vasuvio's, and Brazza Express are all open on Main Street!


Also, the new Natural History Museum is taking shape.
     
     
  #2157  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:50 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Come out come out wherever you are. It's ok to post now.

TMAC and all you other forumers lurking, those forumers who were causing contention have been suspended. So, please come back and contribute to the forum.
By the way, it is possible to block someone - you just lick on their name, view profile, and you'll see a link to ignore all posts by that member. You can still see when the person posts, it just doesn't display the contents.
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
     
     
  #2158  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 5:37 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
That's great news UB. I always like hearing new businesses opening up on Main. Main Street is really starting to come back to live. And I think alot of it has to do with City Creek Center.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #2159  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 8:42 PM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
I'm back yo!
     
     
  #2160  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:13 AM
RFPCME RFPCME is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
How do we access T-MAC's photo blog??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
You can always access T-Mac's photo blog if he has decided to no longer access the forum.
Wasatch_One: How do we access T-MAC's photo blog? The man is a genius, and I miss his photo bumps. I used to look forward to Sunday's just so I could see T-MAC's latest. And I really do have a life!!!!

T-MAC's photo bumps are so much more than pictures, although they are damned fine photos as well. Remember when 222 So. Main was going up? One of the many sites T-MAC chose to shoot from was from the old Walker Center, looking to the southwest. That position framed all his pictures of 222 So. Main with the old Continental Bank building on the right, the contemporary Utah One Center on the left, and the American Towers buildings in the background. The composition of old, new, and middling buildings (i.e., American Towers) were perfect comparisons to measure the progress and and the architectural contributions of the 222 So. Main building as it took shape. A compilation of those shots over a year would provide a wonderful retrospective of the construction.

Also, remember the great shots he took of the same building straight up? I could not figure out how he took those shots. Must have been lying on his back for some of them.

But his shots of 222 So. Main were only small portions of his contributions to this forum. Remember all the great CCC shots? His many shots of the tower cranes almost made those damned things come to life, like sandhill cranes walking awkwardly over the construction rubble.

Probably the best way I can describe T-MAC's photo bumps is that they were more like stories than collections of pictures. Each week told a story of the different construction sites. He somehow got inside the steel and concrete and found what was truly meaningful. The ability to do that is a God-given talent. Please come back T-MAC.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.