HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1941  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:56 PM
paddyirishman paddyirishman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
What am i missing

Was there a story about a Georgia company moving to SLC?
     
     
  #1942  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:12 PM
shakman's Avatar
shakman shakman is offline
Chairman
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: PRMD - People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 2,688
None that I have seen. All of this is just speculation.
__________________
"I measure the value of life not by how much I have, instead by what I have done.

-sb
     
     
  #1943  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:17 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Read post 1939.
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
     
     
  #1944  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:53 PM
skyguy414 skyguy414 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SLC
Posts: 299
A great read in this month's Salt Lake City Planning Division's newsletter on transit oriented development and the steps the city will take towards again becoming more oriented towards mass transit as it once was and increasing density along trax routes and certain core areas.:

http://www.slcgov.com/CED/planning/pages/November%20Urbanus.pdf

You can see all their previous newsletters here: http://www.slcgov.com/CED/planning/pages/newsletter.htm
     
     
  #1945  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 9:23 PM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
There is a compnay moving here, trust me. Like I have said a lot of times already, I CANNOT come out and say what company that will be coming out to SLC.
     
     
  #1946  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 11:29 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
Even worse - Quicken Loans Arena (Cleveland, OH)
One of my real estate professors in Cleveland refereed to it as "sub-prime arena"
     
     
  #1947  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:00 AM
WeST's Avatar
WeST WeST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Murray
Posts: 340
Chick-fil-A seems a little hard to believe because they are run by faithful (and founded) evangelicals, which notoriously are antagonistic to the Mormon Church. If that is the case, then why would the executive leadership be willing to live in Utah and transplant a number of their employees. I am highly skeptical.
     
     
  #1948  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:19 AM
UTvision UTvision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 138
Birds and the Bees?

This Thursday the City Council will discuss allowing private clubs in the mixed use area basically between Capitol Hill and I-15, this will allow Club Jam to serve "hard" liquor. I think this a great step to creating a dynamic neighborhood in this area.

Also, an ordinance allowing chicken and bee keeping in residential areas will be discussed.
"A hearing regarding proposed amendments to the Salt Lake City Code to allow chicken keeping in residential areas with certain requirements. If approved, chicken keeping would become less restrictive as long as guidelines such as total number allowed, space, shelter and sanitation requirements are observed.
A hearing regarding a proposed amendment to the Salt Lake City Code to allow beekeeping in residential areas with certain requirements. If approved, beekeeping would be allowed as long as guidelines such as number and placement of hives, water and distance requirements are observed."
     
     
  #1949  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:44 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
If the current public safety building is such a piece of junk, why don't they tear it down and build a new on on that spot?
The city is hoping it can be restored and reused as residential condos. This is one of two buildings in Salt Lake City that are of the international style of architecture, the other is the Ken Garff building. Not many buildings of this style exist in the mountain west. We are lucky to have two.
     
     
  #1950  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 9:03 PM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
I'm jumping ship.

This is all getting old, besides I have to get ready to move to Portland for my work in January and I simply don't have enough time. Peace!
     
     
  #1951  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 11:48 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
The city is hoping it can be restored and reused as residential condos. This is one of two buildings in Salt Lake City that are of the international style of architecture, the other is the Ken Garff building. Not many buildings of this style exist in the mountain west. We are lucky to have two.

Agreed. I didn't like the Ken Garff building at first, but it grow on me over the years. I wasn't much of a fan of the Police HQ building at first also, but again I would like to see the building get restored.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1952  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 12:52 AM
RFPCME RFPCME is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
International Style of Architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
The city is hoping it can be restored and reused as residential condos. This is one of two buildings in Salt Lake City that are of the international style of architecture, the other is the Ken Garff building. Not many buildings of this style exist in the mountain west. We are lucky to have two.
Urbanboy:

Not being an architect nor a structural engineer, I am going out on a limb and argue with you about there not being many examples of the the International Style of architecture in SLC. On the contrary, I think there are many examples of International Style in downtown SLC, including some buildings designed and built in the 1970's. Therefore, there is no need to preserve them.

If we think of the International School as being high-rises that rely on no outside adornment, include nothing but 90 degree angles in their designs, and have windows in rows, then the list of International Style buildings in SLC is lengthy: COB, University Club, Kennecott Bldg., Beneficial Life Tower, U of U Social Work Bldg., and on and on. I do not like the style because it is sterile and cold, like high-rise public housing.

If I remember correctly, the Ken Garff Bldg. was originally constructed by First Security Bank as the corporate office. I might hang on to the Garff Bldg. just because of the role First Security Bank played in Utah History, but not for its architectural significance. As for the Public Safety Bldg., I rely on the words of a Latino poker player stuck with a bad hand: "El Paso."

By my taste is uneducated, so I am relying on the rankings of a well known East Coast group. The 5 worst buildings in Utah are:

(1) Tie: Shiloh Inn (SLC), Red Lion Inn (SLC), WalMart (anywhere)
(4) Public Safety Bldg (SLC)
(5) Tie: Altius Healthcare Bldg. (So. Jordan), Marriott Hotel (1st So & W. Temple)*
*Stewie Griffin and Associates
     
     
  #1953  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 12:55 AM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803


I used to HATE the Ken Garff building, and while I don't know love it, I have grown to appreciate it, it gives the city a more diverse architectural portfolio.

I really hope that the RDA issues and RFP for the current facility once the new one has been completed. Having some additional residential in that area, in a mid-rise building would be a great addition to the CBD, East downtown and the Broadway (300 S) area.

At 7 floors (not including the ground floor) roughly 7318 leasable square feet per floor at an average of 1045 sq feet per unit, that is about 49 new units of residential in that building, not to mention the potential for the other areas of the property for some additional retail and residential development.
     
     
  #1954  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:15 AM
cololi cololi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 690
RDA cannot participate, the building is outside of a project area.
     
     
  #1955  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:31 AM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
Urbanboy:

Not being an architect nor a structural engineer, I am going out on a limb and argue with you about there not being many examples of the the International Style of architecture in SLC. On the contrary, I think there are many examples of International Style in downtown SLC, including some buildings designed and built in the 1970's. Therefore, there is no need to preserve them.

If we think of the International School as being high-rises that rely on no outside adornment, include nothing but 90 degree angles in their designs, and have windows in rows, then the list of International Style buildings in SLC is lengthy: COB, University Club, Kennecott Bldg., Beneficial Life Tower, U of U Social Work Bldg., and on and on. I do not like the style because it is sterile and cold, like high-rise public housing.

If I remember correctly, the Ken Garff Bldg. was originally constructed by First Security Bank as the corporate office. I might hang on to the Garff Bldg. just because of the role First Security Bank played in Utah History, but not for its architectural significance. As for the Public Safety Bldg., I rely on the words of a Latino poker player stuck with a bad hand: "El Paso."

By my taste is uneducated, so I am relying on the rankings of a well known East Coast group. The 5 worst buildings in Utah are:

(1) Tie: Shiloh Inn (SLC), Red Lion Inn (SLC), WalMart (anywhere)
(4) Public Safety Bldg (SLC)
(5) Tie: Altius Healthcare Bldg. (So. Jordan), Marriott Hotel (1st So & W. Temple)*
*Stewie Griffin and Associates
The International Style is another name for Swiss Style, and it's actually a very specific aesthetic. I can think of no other examples of the style in downtown besides the Ken Garff and Public Safety buildings.
     
     
  #1956  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 2:55 AM
WASDEN's Avatar
WASDEN WASDEN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kailua HI
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
Urbanboy:

Not being an architect nor a structural engineer, I am going out on a limb and argue with you about there not being many examples of the the International Style of architecture in SLC. On the contrary, I think there are many examples of International Style in downtown SLC, including some buildings designed and built in the 1970's. Therefore, there is no need to preserve them.

If we think of the International School as being high-rises that rely on no outside adornment, include nothing but 90 degree angles in their designs, and have windows in rows, then the list of International Style buildings in SLC is lengthy: COB, University Club, Kennecott Bldg., Beneficial Life Tower, U of U Social Work Bldg., and on and on. I do not like the style because it is sterile and cold, like high-rise public housing.

If I remember correctly, the Ken Garff Bldg. was originally constructed by First Security Bank as the corporate office. I might hang on to the Garff Bldg. just because of the role First Security Bank played in Utah History, but not for its architectural significance. As for the Public Safety Bldg., I rely on the words of a Latino poker player stuck with a bad hand: "El Paso."

By my taste is uneducated, so I am relying on the rankings of a well known East Coast group. The 5 worst buildings in Utah are:

(1) Tie: Shiloh Inn (SLC), Red Lion Inn (SLC), WalMart (anywhere)
(4) Public Safety Bldg (SLC)
(5) Tie: Altius Healthcare Bldg. (So. Jordan), Marriott Hotel (1st So & W. Temple)*
*Stewie Griffin and Associates



Easily my most despised building downtown is this hateful assault on architecture
     
     
  #1957  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:06 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
SLC business leaders remain upbeat about economic development in the core of the city
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8545614

SALT LAKE CITY -- While the entire world waits to see whether economic recovery truly is underway, business leaders in Salt Lake City have a positive message for this community: Downtown development remains a key component of recovery in the capitol city.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #1958  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:10 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
The worst structure in SLC has got to be the building that the FBI is in on 200 S. and 200 E. The white box with no windows. That piece of shizcrack might be the ugliest building period.
     
     
  #1959  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:27 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
The worst structure in SLC has got to be the building that the FBI is in on 200 S. and 200 E. The white box with no windows. That piece of shizcrack might be the ugliest building period.
Which is typical of most federal type buildings - I guess it can help deter people from looking or taking pics of it
__________________
Instagram | Twitter

www.UtahProjects.info
     
     
  #1960  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 4:53 AM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
That piece of shizcrack...
I think I just found my new favorite word.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:09 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.