Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless
That is pretty much what the province proposed to do about six years ago, sans traffic light, with funding from the federal Border Infrastructure Program, but the project fell through when the City of Delta objected to the interchange design as westbound traffic on 72nd would no longer have access to southbound 91.
|
That's pretty brutal, but does make sense to me. I have to use that left turn from 72nd onto 91 SB at least once a day. I'll admit that not very many cars use it, but a few times during the afternoon rush you can have a good 7 or 8 cars queue for it, and it's a very fast light only 4 or 5 cars get through if they are fast enough, then if you don't make it through, you have to wait 5 more minutes. What I wouldn't mind seeing though is finding a way for cars to easily turn left onto Westview from 72nd, and having that portion of Westview maybe 2 lanes going SB all the way to 64th so that cars can turn right onto 64th and get on the highway that way. I would have no idea how to design that though, without affecting traffic on 72nd in any way, allowing residents along Westview parking space for their cars, and keeping NIMBY's in Sunshine Hills (myself included) happy. If 72nd was maybe 2 lanes all the way up the hill than maybe a light at Westview wouldn't be so bad, but if not traffic would back up accross the AFB every day.
On the topic of Surrey people not being able to merge properly. I couldn't agree more

On 72nd EB it's annoying when drivers fly up ahead of traffic in the afternoon rush trying to squeeze in from the right lane, since the right lane turns right onto Westview. I'm the one who almost crashes into them, because they'll fly up the hill at 90, than slam on the breaks the second they see a possible space. They are completely oblivious to anyone behind them. What's worse is that left turn from 72nd onto 91 SB. I hate the drivers that decide to merge at 40 km/h into the fast lane on hwy 91 SB. Do they 1 not know that it's the fast lane of the highway, and 2 THE TRAFFIC IS MOVING FASTER THAN 110 KM/H, what good is merging in at 40, when traffic is flying by you at over 70 km/h faster... It's dangerous, I always refuse to merge with people at that spot. I would rather wait 5 minutes in rush hour to be the first car at the light, than risk my life merging onto a highway with retarded people. When I merge on to the 91, I slam the gas pedal and make sure I'm doing no slower than 110 by the time I merge in. People give you respect that way, and the highway doesn't become a death trap for 30 seconds while everyone merges.