HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1821  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 3:42 AM
WeST's Avatar
WeST WeST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Murray
Posts: 340
I think Urbanboy's ideas are solid as far as the courthouse block and the natural sciences museum, but the market seems out of place. While it would seem fitting to put it on Market Place, that block seems to be better suited for higher class establishments. I agree that the museum would have been better suited for a place like the old courthouse, but I still like the soon-to-be locale.

Nice work UB.
     
     
  #1822  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 4:09 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
I think Urbanboy's ideas are solid as far as the courthouse block and the natural sciences museum, but the market seems out of place. While it would seem fitting to put it on Market Place, that block seems to be better suited for higher class establishments. I agree that the museum would have been better suited for a place like the old courthouse, but I still like the soon-to-be locale.

Nice work UB.
Thank you WeST!

I not only thought it appropriate to locate the Public Market on Market Street because of the name (although that was a huge factor), but also because I thought it could be a big draw around the southern end of Main Street, with easy access to it. I think many people who like high-class establishments, also like the local market experience too. Also, this way there'd be more establishments that go along with the theme other than just the Market Street Grill on Market Street.
     
     
  #1823  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 10:29 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,742
Avenues residents celebrate conservation garden

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705338335/Avenues-residents-celebrate-conservation-garden.html


The Greater Avenues Demonstration Garden is unveiled at 11th Avenue and Terrace Hills Drive in Salt Lake City Wednesday. (Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)

.
     
     
  #1824  
Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 6:46 PM
VelvetElvis VelvetElvis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 190
I thought this article was moderately relevant. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ut_four_day_workweek

Nice to see SLC implement something so progressive and level-headed only to find it works really well! I'm not a Utah resident, but when I heard about the idea I was all for it. Kudos to Gov. Huntsman. The only scary thing about the whole affair is the fact that the new gov wasn't ready to put the 100% stamp on the experiment. Hopefully, his impulse to seek more public imput is just good governance or a politically expedient move rather than a sign of rigidity and real intentions to move backwards.
     
     
  #1825  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 6:19 AM
TANGELD_SLC's Avatar
TANGELD_SLC TANGELD_SLC is offline
The World Is Welcome Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 883
I'm pretty sure we'll be keeping it, and Herbert is only going to be getting public input to save/gain political face. The program has been very popular with state employees and the general public as well.
__________________
Espavo!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian
     
     
  #1826  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:23 PM
Justnslcsugarhood.'s Avatar
Justnslcsugarhood. Justnslcsugarhood. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 294
So on fourth south and i want to say fourth to fifth east they are building something right in the middle of the block that is almost half way complete by the looks of it. What is this structure? It's about four stories tall I would say.
     
     
  #1827  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:30 PM
Justnslcsugarhood.'s Avatar
Justnslcsugarhood. Justnslcsugarhood. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 294
     
     
  #1828  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:45 PM
East2Westback East2Westback is offline
NYC Rick
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tappan, New York
Posts: 162
Anyone know what the vacancy rate for SLC is?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Justnslcsugarhood.;4519937]http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705338481/SL-County-office-vacancy-rate-up.html

Which is exactly why SLC is lucky to have more than a few serious construction sites going up simultaneously.

It definitely means that there is a positive faith on SLC's future.

15% is way better than most urban areas... it does represent some core solidity...
     
     
  #1829  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 6:32 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justnslcsugarhood. View Post
So on fourth south and i want to say fourth to fifth east they are building something right in the middle of the block that is almost half way complete by the looks of it. What is this structure? It's about four stories tall I would say.
Is it on the north side of 4th south? Is it closer to 5th east? If it is, I think it is an apartment complex. It is phase 2 of a decent sized dense complex.
     
     
  #1830  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:07 PM
Justnslcsugarhood.'s Avatar
Justnslcsugarhood. Justnslcsugarhood. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Is it on the north side of 4th south? Is it closer to 5th east? If it is, I think it is an apartment complex. It is phase 2 of a decent sized dense complex.
Yes! and there is another development close to broadway that I saw driving with friends through that area.
     
     
  #1831  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:09 PM
Justnslcsugarhood.'s Avatar
Justnslcsugarhood. Justnslcsugarhood. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 294
[QUOTE=East2Westback;4519966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justnslcsugarhood. View Post
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705338481/SL-County-office-vacancy-rate-up.html

Which is exactly why SLC is lucky to have more than a few serious construction sites going up simultaneously.

It definitely means that there is a positive faith on SLC's future.

15% is way better than most urban areas... it does represent some core solidity...
I agree.
     
     
  #1832  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:36 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,742
Me agree too....
     
     
  #1833  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 12:05 AM
WeST's Avatar
WeST WeST is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Murray
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
I'm pretty sure we'll be keeping it, and Herbert is only going to be getting public input to save/gain political face. The program has been very popular with state employees and the general public as well.
I am not convinced that this program has been very popular with taxpayers who only have 4 days to get their business done. While I don't mind the idea, it didn't save nearly as much as was projected. 3 million was projected and it has saved about $700K. Not much, but still savings.
     
     
  #1834  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 12:11 AM
UTAZLoVer's Avatar
UTAZLoVer UTAZLoVer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 445
mega bummer about the city creek thread.
__________________
If people were all meant to pop out of bed, we'd all sleep in toasters.
     
     
  #1835  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 12:30 AM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Thanks everyone for having the City Creek Center thread shut down.

RESPECT. Everyone needs to have respect for everyone. Ya''ll ruined it for everyone! THANKS! NOT!
     
     
  #1836  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 12:36 AM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Peace Wasatch One. Just so everyone knows, he was the one that sent me an e mail asking if I would tell him about the company that is coming here from Atlanta. He sent me over the edge; will not be missed.
     
     
  #1837  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 12:43 AM
UTAZLoVer's Avatar
UTAZLoVer UTAZLoVer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 445
At this time in history, we are to take nothing personally - least of all ourselves. - Hopi Elders.

Great advice we could all take to heart, IMO.
__________________
If people were all meant to pop out of bed, we'd all sleep in toasters.
     
     
  #1838  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 12:59 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
I am not convinced that this program has been very popular with taxpayers who only have 4 days to get their business done. While I don't mind the idea, it didn't save nearly as much as was projected. 3 million was projected and it has saved about $700K. Not much, but still savings.
Well, it actually saved $4.8 million. Unexpectedly, employees worked 161,000 fewer overtime hours saving $4.1 million, plus $700k in energy savings.
     
     
  #1839  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 1:20 AM
jtrent77 jtrent77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Well, it actually saved $4.8 million. Unexpectedly, employees worked 161,000 fewer overtime hours saving $4.1 million, plus $700k in energy savings.
So now the question is, does this mean that that 4.1 million dollars of work is not getting done and there is a backlog getting started? or even better that the employees were inefficient before?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the savings, but I think there might be more to the story than just that.
     
     
  #1840  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 1:29 AM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
So now the question is, does this mean that that 4.1 million dollars of work is not getting done and there is a backlog getting started? or even better that the employees were inefficient before?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for the savings, but I think there might be more to the story than just that.
I think employees were abusing the system... taking an extra hour of overtime regularly when they didn't really need to, but now that they work longer hours, they don't want to stay at work any later.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:19 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.