HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:50 PM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
"It pulls inspiration from the modern iconic high-rises and allows the rigidness to deform with the will of its inhabitants."

http://www.worksarchitecture.net/html/project7_2.html
That's the dumbest thing I've read in a long time. "Deform with the will of its inhabitants"? It might deform with the will of an earthquake, but the will of Jimmy in unit #503 isn't going to deform anything other than maybe the carpets in the hallway as he carelessly spills his beer. Again.

Personally, I think looks like an office building. Don't get me wrong... It looks fine. I could see it on 6th Ave downtown somewhere amongst the other offices. It would fit right in because it looks like an office rather than a home. A nice office, even.

Last edited by 2oh1; Oct 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM. Reason: This post was edited to deform with the will of 2oh1.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 5:56 PM
rsbear's Avatar
rsbear rsbear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas - Hill Country
Posts: 826
I think the wavy columns make the building look broken.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:19 PM
pylon pylon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: inner SW PDX
Posts: 155
"...and allows the rigidness to deform with the will of its inhabitants."

Has the state legalized architectural marijuana?
__________________
"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain
“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it”. -Albert Einstein
"Knowledge is Good." -Emil Faber
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 8:20 PM
Okstate's Avatar
Okstate Okstate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE PDX
Posts: 1,367
I really thought this was an office building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 9:13 PM
New Madrid's Avatar
New Madrid New Madrid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pdx
Posts: 118
I'm all for taking shots at folks who are truly over the top into themselves and pompous about their projects, but folks are taking a small, interesting firm to task for one line on their website that an intern probably came up with...

remember: they're architects, not poet laureates.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 10:04 PM
crow's Avatar
crow crow is offline
momentum
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: portland
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Madrid View Post
I'm all for taking shots at folks who are truly over the top into themselves and pompous about their projects, but folks are taking a small, interesting firm to task for one line on their website that an intern probably came up with...

remember: they're architects, not poet laureates.
Why does that matter? It is taking a simple box form with column covers and deforming it to make it stand out. It is a one-liner. I am personally tired of the smaller firms getting stroked for the one-liners and short sighted form driven architecture that has been put up recently. It is dated, and lacks sophistication that any reasonable architect would not stand behind, but apparently is okay if done by a small design firm doing business as architects. ~dazed and confused~
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 11:51 PM
New Madrid's Avatar
New Madrid New Madrid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pdx
Posts: 118
...

Last edited by New Madrid; Oct 23, 2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: nevermind.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 7:39 PM
zilfondel zilfondel is offline
Submarine de Nucléar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow View Post
Why does that matter? It is taking a simple box form with column covers and deforming it to make it stand out. It is a one-liner. I am personally tired of the smaller firms getting stroked for the one-liners and short sighted form driven architecture that has been put up recently. It is dated, and lacks sophistication that any reasonable architect would not stand behind, but apparently is okay if done by a small design firm doing business as architects. ~dazed and confused~
ever heard of a budget?

geez, you guys all have your 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 in a bundle
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 10:14 PM
crow's Avatar
crow crow is offline
momentum
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: portland
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
ever heard of a budget?

geez, you guys all have your 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 in a bundle
Okay, if the budget is the holy water that separates big from small, then we should continue to assume the little guys get small budgets and the big guys get big budgets. How is this measured $/sf or just overall size? The small guys can't be touched b/c they can't make decent architecture with a small budget, while the big guys do 🞵🞵🞵🞵 with big budgets, so we should focus there? Do you even know what you are talking about? Appears an oversimplification that doing design with small budgets is more difficult, so when it does not turn out very good we should just turn our heads. If it stinks call it out - sorry if that sounds mean.

Last edited by crow; Oct 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 7:35 PM
RED_PDXer RED_PDXer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
No outside area's for the units for the PDX building. Notice the BC one does. We better be careful, many of the new buildings are not providing balconies, this is a must in an urban environment. You can't expect people to live in cubby holes with no connection to the outdoors. This also puts pressure on the public spaces. Is this a design choice or economic? How come every building in Vancouver BC provides most units with nice size balconies why we play with wavy lines and punctured windows?
Zoning regulations. Portland doesn't require balconies in the highest density places - many other places do. Balconies probably add to the cost of buildings and the city is trying to keep prescribed costs to a minimum to encourage more higher density and housing that is affordable. I like balconies, but they are kind of a luxury..

It's kinda like parking. Most cities require one or more spaces per unit, but they add $20-50,000 in cost per space. Portland doesn't require it for many good reasons - housing affordability, it lowers density, subsidizes driving, and conflicts with regional transportation goals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 7:44 PM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
There are two types of balconies, either they cantilever out, which is an added cost because that has to be balanced out in the structure, or they are built into the building which takes away square footage from the units. Imagine if the tiny apartments of the Cyan had balconies, the units would be even smaller with a higher price tag.

Besides, if the urban fabric around the building is active and well put together, does one really need a tiny balcony or do they just need windows that can open?

f it makes you feel any better, the 937 has red balconies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 1:13 AM
PacificNW PacificNW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,116
I had a balcony with my unit while I lived in Seattle. I very seldom used it. (But, I was glad it was there for me to use....especially when friends were visiting.)

Last edited by PacificNW; Oct 26, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 2:04 AM
crow's Avatar
crow crow is offline
momentum
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: portland
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I had a balcony with my unit while I lived in Seattle. I very seldom used it.
usually the balconies are a pure marketing equilizer with the other properties. Balconies that are attached, especially in taller buildings, are very uncomfortable places to be in. Everytime you break the skin, it is a potential for a leak. I have lived in both with and without balconies, and more times than not, having a balcony gives you an option, subconcious or not, it makes you feel like you have a choice whether to live in the "box" or not. Of course having a pad on the park blocks and being able to walk out the front door is a bigger bonus than a balcony to me!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 5:43 PM
pdxf pdxf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 193
I can't imagine not having a balcony. I live on the 10th floor, and during the summer, we ate dinner on our balcony almost nightly. It also makes for a quick escape, when I want to get some fresh air, or just stand outside without having to take the elevator down 10 floors just to walk around the block. Maybe I'm not up high enough, but my balcony isn't uncomforatable (however it could be a little larger!). When we were looking for apartments this past spring, we wouldn't even consider units that didn't have some form of outdoor space (perhaps I'm not typical!?).

I have a feeling that even if people don't fully utilize their balconies, there is an effect on the the high rise dweller just knowing that it is there in case they decide that they actually want to interact with the natural environment. I used to be disappointed by balconies that don't have anything on them (plants, tables, etc...), thinking that they weren't being used. Actually, I have noticed quite a bit of activity on these "non-used" balconies. People just having their door open, wandering out onto their private outdoor space to look and see what is going on down at the street, look at the sunset, etc.... Maybe someone should do a study on the happiness of urban dwellers and the relationship to balconies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 9:31 PM
bvpcvm bvpcvm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,793
I agree with you, I wouldn't live in a place without a balcony either, but I think it's not typical. I live in a condo complex where the units are all townhouse-like and each one has a 6ft x 9ft deck. We eat dinner outside all through the summer, but I think we are the only ones in the complex to do so. Some units here even have rooftop terraces, which are about 15x15, and they too go mostly unused. I can't imagine why, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 11:19 PM
2oh1's Avatar
2oh1 2oh1 is offline
9-7-2oh1-!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: downtown Portland
Posts: 2,523
Balconies also change the neighborhoods of the buildings they're in by bringing bits of life to the exterior of the buildings.

I don't use mine often, but I sure do love having it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 5:37 AM
JordanL JordanL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,004
I would absolutely refuse to live in an apartment without a balcony. Taking an elevator to get fresh air at my place of residence is completely unacceptable to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 5:43 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,978
If we are just saying our personal opinions and choices, having a balcony on an apartment wouldnt matter to me, I would take a place based on if I liked it or not. But with that said, I have been living in a divided house for the past few years now. So I dont even live in typical apartment housing and I actually prefer only having three other neighbor units rather than an entire building of neighbors...so I guess that is more important to me than a balcony.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 5:40 PM
Atomic Glee's Avatar
Atomic Glee Atomic Glee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 614
Never lived anywhere with a balcony. My first building had no outdoor space at all, the second had a rooftop deck that was nice, and the third, well, it's sort of a "roll your own" rooftop deck.
__________________
Fort Worthology | Hello Panther
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist,
building inventions in my space lab in space."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 7:38 PM
Downtown_Gal's Avatar
Downtown_Gal Downtown_Gal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Portland
Posts: 63
My balcony is tiny but I love it and go out there almost every day. We live on the 2nd floor though and usually I go out to see what's going on down on the street more than to get fresh air - I work from home so taking a little people-watching break is exactly what I need sometimes. Plus, there is never a shortage of very entertaining drama going on down there.

We've been condo-hunting lately and with some of the condos on higher floors or ones with balconies that don't face a busy street, I just don't see myself going out on them quite as often. Having a balcony didn't make our "must-have" in a condo list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.