HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #361  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 2:06 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
EVDS MPlan Grad
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canmore, AB
Posts: 11,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm voting that we switch to the retro jerseys as our standard jersey. They looked AWESOME last night.
I thought about that too. Maybe next season, I mean, aren't the Oilers' retros their standard home jerseys now? We should definitely wear them more than 5 times this year, I'd say at least 15-20 would be better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #362  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 3:00 PM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
Moss kept reminding me of Joe Nieuwendyk.

Loob is tiny when compared to Iginla, It certainly didn't remind me of Loob.

Loob is only a couple inches taller than Theo...
Probably 175 lbs soaking wet in all his gear.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #363  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 4:37 PM
Stang Stang is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 538
Seeing those retro jerseys brought back some memories. I was looking forward to seeing them again, and they looked even better than I had hoped.

I think that it was the right mix of brighter rinks (than back in the day), better TV coverage, and a little bit of nostalgia.

I was never a big fan of the black trend in hockey, and having red shorts, gloves, and helmets was really great. Bring 'em back full-time as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #364  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 5:40 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
God the Flames looked hot last night in the retro kits! I love that Calgary (Saddledome) has the best lighting in the league! Those kits just popped against ice. I mean WOW! Compared to the lighting at ACC it is just amazing.

Quite a game too. Great first period and then we let up a bit. It was a lousy thirs but kipper bailed us out for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #365  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 6:55 PM
Distill3d's Avatar
Distill3d Distill3d is offline
Glorfied Overrated Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver (Burnaby), British Columbia
Posts: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm voting that we switch to the retro jerseys as our standard jersey. They looked AWESOME last night.
Seconded!

Lets bring back the white ones too and wear them on the road! Use the current home jersey as the alternate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #366  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,686
Thirded. (??)

Those retros have so much more personality than the current look with the black pants. Frankly I miss having yellow as part of our standard colours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #367  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
Riise's Avatar
Riise Riise is offline
City Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary | London
Posts: 3,195
I'm voting against the motion. Guys, were we not talking about historicism just a few short days ago? I think it is okay to bring back retro jerseys for a few games during anniversary seasons, but the only way I'd be okay with bringing back retro jerseys permanently is if they were modernized and given an updated look ala the Capitals. We want our architecture to move forward so why not our jersey designs?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #368  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 2:20 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
EVDS MPlan Grad
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canmore, AB
Posts: 11,113
This is true, we've only seen them for one game since the early 90s, so of course we're going to love them. The novelty could wear off if they made the switch permanent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #369  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 10:37 PM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,686
I fail to see a direct anagolous relationship between architecture and sports uniforms. The retro jersies look better than the new jersies, novelty or no novelty.

If we're going to go with analogy though, black in the uniforms is like the slanty walls of Gibbs Gage projects. It seemed like a cool idea at first, but enough already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #370  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 10:45 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I'm voting against the motion. Guys, were we not talking about historicism just a few short days ago? I think it is okay to bring back retro jerseys for a few games during anniversary seasons, but the only way I'd be okay with bringing back retro jerseys permanently is if they were modernized and given an updated look ala the Capitals. We want our architecture to move forward so why not our jersey designs?
I am with you good sir. I like the idea of the retro kits as a novelty for the fans. The deeper red of the modern unis are wonderful. It's a good balance, however, i would like to see them for more games!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #371  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 11:19 PM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
EVDS MPlan Grad
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canmore, AB
Posts: 11,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
the only way I'd be okay with bringing back retro jerseys permanently is if they were modernized and given an updated look ala the Capitals.
Watching the Caps right now, best move that team ever made (I guess, after drafting Ovechkin). Damn do those jerseys look good on the ice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #372  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 10:45 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I'm voting against the motion. Guys, were we not talking about historicism just a few short days ago? I think it is okay to bring back retro jerseys for a few games during anniversary seasons, but the only way I'd be okay with bringing back retro jerseys permanently is if they were modernized and given an updated look ala the Capitals. We want our architecture to move forward so why not our jersey designs?
Agreed 100-fold. Everyone here is just looking at this through nostalgia glasses.

Trust me, as someone who didn't grow up a Flames fan, those jerseys look tired, dated, and insanely 80s. Yes, the team won the cup in them, and most of the "big" Flames wore them, but they're just plain old. When I see them I expect to see half the team helmetless. The Oilers retro jerseys are also silly looking and an appeal to the glory days, not an actual attempt to look good.

Personally I find the Flames current colours to be one of the best in hockey history. Certainly one of the best in the league right now, and they beat the pants off just about any of the ugly — from the 70s and 80s. Walk through Pro Hockey Life and check out the retro jerseys to be reminded just how fugly things were.

But, opinions are like —...

PS: there's an actual Ranger fan? I mean, not just a "former Oilers from the 80s cup wins" fan? Seriously? 69 years of futility wasn't enough to turn people away?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #373  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 11:37 PM
frinkprof's Avatar
frinkprof frinkprof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Gary
Posts: 4,865
Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 3:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #374  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 12:54 AM
Calalb's Avatar
Calalb Calalb is offline
SSP member:12,803
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 269
5-1 Flames- after the 1st period!! The Chicago arena is in shock .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #375  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 1:05 AM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
5 goals on 10 shots. wow.

Jokinen almost made it 6-1 on a breakaway with 15 seconds left in the period too. Bury that!

Liking Sjostrom on the top line too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #376  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 1:40 AM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
5-4. Same old flames. Only with this team would a 5-0 lead be unsafe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #377  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 1:47 AM
Vascilli Vascilli is offline
Hare Expert
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, Toronto
Posts: 1,053
That's pretty sad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #378  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 2:52 AM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
EVDS MPlan Grad
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canmore, AB
Posts: 11,113
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #379  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 2:53 AM
frinkprof's Avatar
frinkprof frinkprof is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Gary
Posts: 4,865
Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 3:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #380  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 2:55 AM
Ayreonaut's Avatar
Ayreonaut Ayreonaut is offline
EVDS MPlan Grad
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canmore, AB
Posts: 11,113
Two words: Bag skate.

Only problem is they play again tomorrow, so maybe wait on that until after Columbus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.