HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1581  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 11:59 PM
Shibuya Shibuya is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
It is indeed an Earl's from what I have heard / seen. Will be interesting to see who else continues to shuffle down Granville and clean it up as they go.
Scratch that. Looks like it isn't Earl's after all. Should find out more soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1582  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:23 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

there is a 7-11 opening on west boradway - somewhere between main and cambie - that area really needed a good 24 hour store
I noticed that the other night as I was being blinded by those fluorescent interior lights while driving down Broadway!
It's not every day a new 7-11 opens up, most have been around for a while...
__________________
Latest photo thread: Coney Island, Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1583  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 1:46 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Crate and Barrell could open up in the old storyeum location, lots of space and they could argue there are 100K with incomes over 100K people within 15min, if you were to draw a circle around that location 15km in diameter (roughly 15min w/o traffic) you;d get all of d/t, north van, a chunk of west van and the west side.
Whatever happened to the family entertainment company that was going to move in, I haven't heard anything in months.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1584  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:15 AM
johnjimbc johnjimbc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 766
As much as the Storyeum location might work for them size-wise, I just can't see them being there. They are all over upscale malls, people bringing in their kids. In cities they are in, they do well with the young urbanite singles and couples, but their bread and butter is the suburban or mid-city family that is doing well for themselves, two cars (one a Lexus or Mercedes mini-suv), bringing their strollers in to check out the store, a nice sunny one, with floor to ceiling glass window and a huge outdoor upper deck where they place their over-sized patio furnishings.

I've never seen on in even the slightest of "distressed" areas. I could see them in a nice sleek building right near the new Millennium village in a stand-alone store, but even there I can't imagine it more than a block or two away . . . between there and the Cambie retail strip maybe. And even that area would be a bit edgy for the demographics of where they typically place their stores.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1585  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 2:46 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
they are in downtown areas though in stand alone stores - not just malls


re the 7-11 yah the blinding lights is what caught my eye when i drove past too late one night it was like whoah whats that oh a 7-11
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1586  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 5:24 AM
johnjimbc johnjimbc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 766
Yeah, I know that Crate & Barrel does stand-alone stores. I didn't mean to imply they were just in malls. There were several in DC that were stand alone. Each was different, but they all tended to be very light and open and airy and all tended to be in really established neighborhoods. That's why I can't really see them going for the storyeum location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1587  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 10:11 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Forever 21 - XXI - opened today and apparently its crazy and packed

Bath & Body Works opened today too - 2 new brands hit the city at once!
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1588  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 3:54 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
I went in and passed Forever 21 - massive store - tiny mens section

huge line ups

also noticed a former arbys on kingsway is becoming a Triple O's
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1589  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 5:15 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 6,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I went in and passed Forever 21 - massive store - tiny mens section

huge line ups

also noticed a former arbys on kingsway is becoming a Triple O's
the one at Kingsway and Imperial area?
__________________
Quote of the Decade on SSP: "what happens would it be?" - argon007

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1590  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 6:37 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
i think so - its across the street from Wendys
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1591  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 9:05 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
apparently beard papa's opened up recently in metrotown.. http://touch3050.blogspot.com/2009/09/beard-papa.html

might have missed it earlier in the thread.. thinking about heading over there tomorrow.

edit: oops, apparently has been open for several months now!

Confirmed locations in the Convention Centre and Richmond Centre. Wow, they're sure opening up quickly.

http://www.muginohousa.com/main.php?nav=locations

Last edited by GeeCee; Oct 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1592  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 11:47 AM
duener duener is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: YVR>LHR>YUL
Posts: 182
^^I saw a Beard Papa's on Oxford Street here in London months ago. I don't think it's there anymore. What I couldn't figure out was why anyone would eat that... it looked all sugary/nasty like a doughnut.

It would be great if Pret A Manger expanded to Vancouver. I saw a few in New York. They're pre-made sandwich shops so you can grab a freshly made club sandwich for a few quid and be on your way. It's a different concept than Subway altogether.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1593  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:28 PM
delboy delboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by duener View Post
^^I saw a Beard Papa's on Oxford Street here in London months ago. I don't think it's there anymore. What I couldn't figure out was why anyone would eat that... it looked all sugary/nasty like a doughnut.

It would be great if Pret A Manger expanded to Vancouver. I saw a few in New York. They're pre-made sandwich shops so you can grab a freshly made club sandwich for a few quid and be on your way. It's a different concept than Subway altogether.
I remember seeing one of them in Manchester in Piccadilly Square I thought it was an odd name and wondered what it was - now I know!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1594  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:48 PM
nova9 nova9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by duener View Post
^^I saw a Beard Papa's on Oxford Street here in London months ago. I don't think it's there anymore. What I couldn't figure out was why anyone would eat that... it looked all sugary/nasty like a doughnut.

It would be great if Pret A Manger expanded to Vancouver. I saw a few in New York. They're pre-made sandwich shops so you can grab a freshly made club sandwich for a few quid and be on your way. It's a different concept than Subway altogether.
Except a Pret-a-Manger is like twice as expensive. But it is better. I just don't see how we have a gap/void in our food market that's big enough to warrant them coming over (especially if they haven't broken into the NA market yet or have they?)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1595  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:37 PM
Waders Waders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
apparently beard papa's opened up recently in metrotown.. http://touch3050.blogspot.com/2009/09/beard-papa.html

might have missed it earlier in the thread.. thinking about heading over there tomorrow.

edit: oops, apparently has been open for several months now!

Confirmed locations in the Convention Centre and Richmond Centre. Wow, they're sure opening up quickly.

http://www.muginohousa.com/main.php?nav=locations
I believe there is another one at Crystal Mall, just a few blocks away from Metrotown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1596  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:47 PM
Waders Waders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Forever 21 - XXI - opened today and apparently its crazy and packed

Bath & Body Works opened today too - 2 new brands hit the city at once!
I passed by Forever 21 - XXI in Metropolis Centre this morning(Saturday) at 8am. There was a hugh (~50 people, all female) lineup outside the store waiting. A few security guards tried to maintain order. It is amazing that people are willing to wait till 9:30am for the store to open. There must be some good bargain. Who can tell the economy is/was in recession?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1597  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 6:35 PM
LotusLand LotusLand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
Scratch that. Looks like it isn't Earl's after all. Should find out more soon.
Hmmm interesting, I wonder what it could be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1598  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 8:44 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
I passed by Forever 21 - XXI in Metropolis Centre this morning(Saturday) at 8am. There was a hugh (~50 people, all female) lineup outside the store waiting. A few security guards tried to maintain order. It is amazing that people are willing to wait till 9:30am for the store to open. There must be some good bargain. Who can tell the economy is/was in recession?
the first 200 customers were getting giftcards with any value up to $210

its the official grand opening today even though the store was open yesterday
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1599  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 11:29 PM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,052
Bed Bath & Beyond is opening a second lower mainland store at the old Office Depot in Coquitlam. No word yet on openings (as far as I know)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1600  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 8:17 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,121
nice - wouldn't that be the third? the second is in North Van
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.