i just googled this building and i came up with some pretty interesting local history. Apparently, the owners of this hotel loved their hotel so much that they refused to sell to BC Hydro and BC Hydro was forced to build around it.
A contact of mine on flickr told me about this story when I posted a different pic of the hotel. I think things like that make a city all the more interesting!
A contact of mine on flickr told me about this story when I posted a different pic of the hotel. I think things like that make a city all the more interesting!
It's been so wonderfully clear and picturesque the last couple of days. Ahh, to think Winter is just around the corner and we won't be able to see across to the Northshore for about 6 months. Oh, well. Enjoy what is left of it!
It's been so wonderfully clear and picturesque the last couple of days. Ahh, to think Winter is just around the corner and we won't be able to see across to the Northshore for about 6 months. Oh, well. Enjoy what is left of it!
I notice that the library has a green roof. Is it publicly accessible? I'm looking for some locations in Vancouver for taking photos. Do you (or anyone else reading this) have any recommendations?
You guys live in such a beautiful city, every time I visit I become more and more tempted to move there.
Here is a shot I took from the seabus highlighting some of the newer towers downtown (as well as how two cruise ships can really fill in the skyline!):
re the pics of granville street - why are those green street lights there? i thought we were getting some fancy swank ones? are they temporary? will the new ones be put in after the olympics? stupid 🞵🞵🞵 slow project
re the pics of granville street - why are those green street lights there? i thought we were getting some fancy swank ones? are they temporary? will the new ones be put in after the olympics? stupid 🞵🞵🞵 slow project
The new 'fancy' lights will be in addition to typical street lights. Here's the description from the open house boards:
Quote:
TYPICAL LIGHTING ALONG EACH BLOCK: The repeating pattern
of white light-rods down the length of Granville would create the
effect of the “Great White Way”. The lighting system would provide
enhanced pedestrian lighting when combined with roadway davit
lighting. Typically, lights would be affixed to transit poles and
roadway davit light poles with interstitial light rod poles in between.
Consistent spacing between lights and careful alignment will create
for a striking linear formation at night. The lighting quality would be
of a warm white light that would function as supplimental [sic] pedestrian
lighting.