Sorry to the fans out there, but I don't think that I could care about anything any less and I think that the money could've been spent in so many better ways...not to mention that I completely disagree w/ how this is being funded. But, I'll hope for the best and if it does turn things around for Chester, I will gladly eat my words:
Rain, economy delayed new soccer stadium
By Jeff Gammage
Inquirer Staff Writer
A rainy June complicated workers' ability to pour cement. A shaken Wall Street meant it took longer to sell construction bonds.
That squeezed the built-in cushion out of an already tight schedule that aimed to ensure the 18,500-seat home of the Philadelphia Union would be ready to open in the spring.
Last week, the soccer team bowed to soggy, economic reality, announcing that it would play its first home game - and maybe its first few - at Lincoln Financial Field.
"It's a daily thing, where we're at: Are we a day behind, a week behind, a month behind?" said Nick Sakiewicz, the team chief executive and operating partner. "It's a very fluid situation."
At the same time the team is building a $115 million stadium on the Chester waterfront, its representatives are traveling the world to identify potential Union players. And its ticket agents are handling steady requests: The team has taken deposits for 9,100 season tickets, roughly half the capacity of the Chester stadium.
The stadium's steel skeleton is rising just south of the Commodore Barry Bridge, cranes and crews working counter-clockwise around an oval pattern. Red brick covers parts of the exterior. Ticket windows are installed.
Sakiewicz said the stadium still could be finished before the opening home game, April 10 against D.C. United, but the team could not guarantee that as the Major League Soccer schedule was being finalized.
At most, he said, the Union will play three or four games in its temporary home.
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20090928_Rain__economy_delayed_new_soccer_stadium.html