HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1461  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 2:02 PM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
On the subject of Sixth West TRAX: have they considered going under the Front Runner tracks -- build down instead of up? Or spend a half a million and buy the houses and build a park. They're building TRAX from the airport east. By the time they get downtown it should all be resolved.
     
     
  #1462  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 3:12 PM
utahboozer's Avatar
utahboozer utahboozer is offline
Lurking in a wigwam
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
While lookin at the new ccc video I found this really cool new video.


This one is from Downtown rising, really starts about a minute in.
• Video Link
This video was funny. The music was "upbeat," making you wanna get stoked for this new development. I did like the obligatory "Yes, we serve alcohol" shots.

At least there wasn't any personal testimony or upclose shots of the Temple (a beautiful piece of architecture, but c'mon).



Every day I drive past the OC Tanner Bldg, and I am simply in awe of how beautiful it turned out. Now, considering its location, I really hope it can be a draw to CCC. Who knows?
     
     
  #1463  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 3:27 PM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
^^^ Have they implemented mid-block crosswalks between OC Tanner and City Creek? That's probably one of the best things to help back and forth traffic between the two attractions.
     
     
  #1464  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 3:51 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
^^^ Have they implemented mid-block crosswalks between OC Tanner and City Creek? That's probably one of the best things to help back and forth traffic between the two attractions.
There is the mid block tunnel under State Street already. I don't see them putting in a mid block crosswalk across State Street until UDoT passes ownership of the street to SLC and then after 1 lane each direction is lobbed off.
     
     
  #1465  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 4:45 PM
DMTower's Avatar
DMTower DMTower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 811
^^^ I don't see the underground tunnel helping as far as shoppers go... most won't even know it's there. SLC should really push to obtain State Street.
     
     
  #1466  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 5:44 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,769
Very much agree guys, I would really like to see State take on more of an upscale urban feel. I think it could be done. Perhaps, Cololi or others could share an insight as to the possibility for specific improvements, and if it would have a negative effect on traffic flow.
     
     
  #1467  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 5:49 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
There is the mid block tunnel under State Street already. I don't see them putting in a mid block crosswalk across State Street until UDoT passes ownership of the street to SLC and then after 1 lane each direction is lobbed off.
There will be a street level mid block crossing on State Street.
     
     
  #1468  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:53 PM
esirhgih's Avatar
esirhgih esirhgih is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 188
I'd love to see that section of State St. (well, all of State St., at least from 400S) lose a traffic lane, gain street parking and get some major landscape and streetscape improvements. Something like this maybe:



None of this will happen with UDOT control. Are there actual plans for the city to take over, or is it just wishful thinking?
     
     
  #1469  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 10:49 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I love art deco too Wasatch, and was just amazed at that High School in Ogden. That's one style of architecture that I would like to see a tasteful, quality revival of in the CBD of Salt Lake, Ogden and Provo. To me Deco can be both modern, classic and just plain timeless. It's style fascinates me. I find myself able to stare at certain Art Deco structures for hours.
And of course the Municipal building in Ogden. There's actually a couple of Art Deco buildings on USU's campus as well.
     
     
  #1470  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 11:39 PM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
I took these the other day, from the Highland "H" area.





New awnings and port-cochere + sign for Hotel Monaco.

I haven't noticed the trees on the other side of the parking structure in this picture before, I think they're new. It looks like this will be a nice little plaza (east of the southeast corner of 222's parking garage).
     
     
  #1471  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 12:36 AM
skyguy414 skyguy414 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SLC
Posts: 299


Nice, thanks for sharing.
     
     
  #1472  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 3:40 AM
terryaki's Avatar
terryaki terryaki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago (Edgewater)
Posts: 1,701
^^ Same skyline, but from further north, taken yesterday.



S'more pics from my "visit" here
     
     
  #1473  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 8:41 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by esirhgih View Post
I'd love to see that section of State St. (well, all of State St., at least from 400S) lose a traffic lane, gain street parking and get some major landscape and streetscape improvements. Something like this maybe:



None of this will happen with UDOT control. Are there actual plans for the city to take over, or is it just wishful thinking?
I think this is a good plan/idea. I think doing something like 300 south to more treets in downtown would be very helpful. State Street, West Temple, and 200 West are way too wide. I think taking a lane out on each side and placing some sort of landscaped meridian with or without parking would be great. It would encourage greater pedestrian connection between blocks, and beautify the streets.

I was at a lecture here in Portland to hear a well-known architecture & urbanism critic, Paul Goldberger. In this lecture, he mentioned Salt Lake City in a negative manner regarding how enormously wide the streets are in downtown. I think he's right. I didn't really notice this until I lived in Portland, and other cities.
     
     
  #1474  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 1:55 PM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
State Street is US Highway 89. Would that complicate things?
     
     
  #1475  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 4:39 PM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
There's already enough traffic at that end of State Street, dropping a lane would only complicate things.
     
     
  #1476  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:11 PM
ski_steve ski_steve is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 467
I am a fan of landscaping State Street, and taking out some lanes because it doesnt carry as much traffic through downtown.

But, I dont think its a good idea to put tall landscaping or trees down State Street, because there is a really nice sight line to the Capitol


hellosaltlakecity


traveleverwhere.biz


flickr

State Street is also plays a huge part in the parades in Salt Lake. So im not sure I like idea of a landscaped middle.


As a side note, I came across this picture of the SLC Valley, kinda cool

flickr
     
     
  #1477  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 5:57 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
There's already enough traffic at that end of State Street, dropping a lane would only complicate things.
What traffic? There really is no need for it to be three lanes wide on each side, plus a meridian/middle turning lane, plus parking on each side. That's a total of 9 lanes! That's ridiculous!
     
     
  #1478  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 6:10 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Great pic. 222 South looks pretty good from there. An iconic skyscraper, say 700+ feet would look amazing right in the middle there.
     
     
  #1479  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:08 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
There's already enough traffic at that end of State Street, dropping a lane would only complicate things.
Frankly, I think the city needs to discourage people from driving through the lower Capitol Hill neighborhoods to commute home to Davis co. So, if they closed a lane on State St., that would be a good thing.

I think they should put a toll booth and/or a gate closing Victory Road completely during rush hour.

I've compared driving from downtown along Victory Road to Beck St with driving over to 300 West and north to Beck St. and it takes about the same time. So, I think the city should encourage people to go over to 300 West. The Capitol Hill neighborhood was not designed to accommodate the large amount of commuter traffic that goes through there thinking they're saving time.
     
     
  #1480  
Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 7:12 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
State Street is also plays a huge part in the parades in Salt Lake. So im not sure I like idea of a landscaped middle.
Do any parades use State St. any more? I thought they all went down 200 East now. There is the large barricade in the middle of State St. near the old ZCMI mall that they put in to discourage people from trying to dodge traffic and jaywalk there that caused them to stop using it for parades about a decade ago.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.