Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty67
these images reaffirm, for me, thatthe bridge need to be a low lying structure, as opposed to the really tall submissions that have been included in the views.
|
This is an interesting point. However, I think that a tall bridge would be nice as it adds a bit of variety. Really if we look at our river crossings they are all pretty low lying structures. It's nice to add a bit of altitude to that portion of the river to make it stand out.
When the Calatrava bridge was released there was a lot of commentary on here that the design was nice but it was not really going to be something that was visible from Memorial Drive. Part, of this is because it is low-lying (in this case due to height restrictions). If would be fantastic to see something that really stand out. I am wondering if I feel this way because we have been let down with the Cantos design.
Smitty, I agree with your point that we don't want something too overpowering, but of the submissions that Devin worked with the only one that has the overpowering feel to it is the Infinity design.
Obviously, the details of the designs that Devin used are pretty minimal so i am assuming that the heights of the structures are embelished for the purposes of the diagrams. Nonetheless, Devin's skills have really helped to create a mental image of what these structures will look like against the skyline.