HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2461  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 8:00 AM
bob1954 bob1954 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 869
Wow! Those Toronto shots are great. 3 or 4 900' 1100's and you might have Chicago beat! (I think Chicago is sitting at 110 buildings over 500'). Toront can't be too far behind!

Last edited by bob1954; Sep 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM. Reason: word change
     
     
  #2462  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 1:48 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,806
Toronto is quite far behind actually. About 1/4 as many 500 footers. With the database down I cant check, but I believe Toronto has 26. And even if every proposed 500+ footer were to be built, there would still be less than 50. That being said, Toronto does have a fantastic skyline.
     
     
  #2463  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 10:00 PM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
Go Chiefs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 20,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
Wow! Those Toronto shots are great. 3 or 4 900' 1100's and you might have Chicago beat! (I think Chicago is sitting at 110 buildings over 500'). Toront can't be too far behind!
Chicago and Toronto are not really on the same scale.
     
     
  #2464  
Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 10:05 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
video et taceo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 14,345
moncton: little jozi?

     
     
  #2465  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 12:29 AM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
180 degree panorama.


Bigger here.
__________________
I am Calgarian!
My photos on Flickr
     
     
  #2466  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 6:16 AM
bob1954 bob1954 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 869
My remarks about Toronto was more of how it is spread out like Chicago's, I realize the scale in terms of height in TO is quite a bit smaller, but still impressive.
     
     
  #2467  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 12:18 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
MLG hemmed in by condos and apartments.... one day ACC will be in this same bind...



And a view in another direction




from yasmary at flickr.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yasmary/

landing page is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yasmary/3902595412/sizes/l/in/set-72157622315256360/

Last edited by caltrane74; Sep 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
     
     
  #2468  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 1:35 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,219
Lets not start the Toronto / Chicago thing again.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #2469  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 7:06 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,269
A skyline shot of Calgary, almost in the same league as Chicago......J/K


Full Size Here

     
     
  #2470  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:15 PM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 8,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
MLG hemmed in by condos and apartments.... one day ACC will be in this same bind...


What is Maple Leaf Gardens used for nowadays/how often is there events there?
__________________
Winnipeg Act II - April 2024

Winnipeg Developments

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
     
     
  #2471  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:42 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Maple Leaf Gardens is pretty much abandoned. There have only been a couple events in the past five years. Plans for a Loblaws Superstore are continually pushed back as the company drowns in red ink. The seats and almost everything else of value were stripped years ago so it's not really ideal for events.
     
     
  #2472  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 8:59 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
And not allowed to demolish it... so....

Until someone very creative comes along....
     
     
  #2473  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 10:20 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,895
Only the facade is protected from demolition but that's still an obstacle. The fact it can't be used for what it was purposely built for is the biggest reason it's been virtually empty for nearly a decade.
     
     
  #2474  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 3:54 AM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
A little bit of Laval











This one in Montreal



AX flickr
     
     
  #2475  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:53 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,022
Nice pics. I love seeing the little differences from Canadian City to Canadian City. Such as street signs and lighting fixtures. Are cities in BC the only ones in Canada to hang their traffic lights upright instead of sideways?

I know in the Prairies I always noticed they were hung sideways as well. Can't remember Toronto though, since the only times that I drove while there was primarily on the freeways and that what over 5 years ago now.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #2476  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:08 AM
Hootch's Avatar
Hootch Hootch is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
A little bit of Laval
That's a damn shame. It's unfortunate that True North Properties is building the same ugly 🞵🞵🞵🞵 in a great city like Montreal that they are in Edmonton
     
     
  #2477  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:39 AM
blake10 blake10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Nice pics. I love seeing the little differences from Canadian City to Canadian City. Such as street signs and lighting fixtures. Are cities in BC the only ones in Canada to hang their traffic lights upright instead of sideways?

I know in the Prairies I always noticed they were hung sideways as well. Can't remember Toronto though, since the only times that I drove while there was primarily on the freeways and that what over 5 years ago now.
Except for a select few locations downtown, Winnipeg hangs traffic lights vertically as well. Interestingly, we use yellow backplates for 'regular' lights and black backplates for 'turning' lights.
     
     
  #2478  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:57 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065

© bluegoose0fox

The mountains look really small from this angle.
     
     
  #2479  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:37 PM
sammo sammo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,171
^glorious!
     
     
  #2480  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:55 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Nice pics. I love seeing the little differences from Canadian City to Canadian City. Such as street signs and lighting fixtures. Are cities in BC the only ones in Canada to hang their traffic lights upright instead of sideways?

I know in the Prairies I always noticed they were hung sideways as well. Can't remember Toronto though, since the only times that I drove while there was primarily on the freeways and that what over 5 years ago now.
Pretty much everywhere in Ontario hangs them vertically.

There are a few places in Quebec that do it as well (the city of Montreal does, but outside the city boundaries they are mostly horizontal). My area of Gatineau (Aylmer) had all vertical traffic lights until the merger in 2002... now there are a few horizontal ones here and there.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.