Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x
it would be brilliant if they could start using 18 or 19 trains soon for at least peak hour service.
|
Well I don't understand why they don't just run all 20 trains during peak hours. If the extra trains aren't in the shop, why not run them? If they are in the shop on the occasional day, being short 1 or 2 trains will hardly be noticed by most. Having extra trains is important when you run infrequent trains and a schedule is important. Like the O-Train has only 2 trains running and a third as a spare because if one is broken it would be a 50% loss in their schedule.
I think the 80-90% usage is based on peak capacity. It shouldn't be 90% of your trains are in service, it should be 90% of your trains carry the peak volume effectively, so you have a 10% excess of trains you don't need (that can be used when things break). If we need 100% of our trains to be effective then we need 10% more trains than what we have now.
I also think they should use both platforms at Waterfront. I think that would solve a lot of crowding issues if people going to YVR or Richmond could get on their train and wait while everyone else gets on the next train leaving. It would really spread out the crowd.
I rode today Bridgeport to Waterfront at around noon, and it was busy, mostly with students, especially at Langara. But there was lots of traffic the entire way. The rode South at rush hour all the way to Brighouse. It was packed. There was no crowd control at Waterfront at around 4:30, but by the time the train left VCC, it was near full. A lot of people got off at Broadway though, and it left enough room for everyone to get on. There was a lot of action at all the stations.
I did notice that at a lot of stops that the train lingered after the doors closed because people were holding a door open. So that might be part of the crowd problem, is people being impatient and forcing their way on the train instead of waiting for the next one.