Alta Vista Councillor Peter Hume, president of the municipal association, said he understands Watson's concerns about cost. He said the city's credibility would be seriously harmed if tunnel costs turn out to be much higher than originally advertised.
Hume said the city is meeting with provincial officials monthly and he is confident that both governments will soon be confident enough to push ahead with the plan.
Played like a master by Hume. Don't get all defensive, agree with the basic concern, and "remain confident" that the City has done its homework.
After all, in my morning Citizen, I read this:
In an interview later, Watson said he has not been told by Ministry of Transportation officials of any major problems with Ottawa's transit plan. But he said tunneling projects in cities like Boston and Montreal show how costs can rise dramatically.
"We don't want to set the city up for failure," said Watson.
Watson recently criticized the city for its handling of the sewage spills into the Ottawa River and he wasn't backing away from it Monday.
"It seems to be taking an awfully long time to get this issue resolved," said Watson, saying that citizens are thanking him for raising the sewer-spill issue. In 2006, one billion litres of sewage were spilled into the Ottawa River during a malfunction of equipment that went unreported for many months.
Watson is considered to be a possible candidate for mayor next year and was asked by reporters about his intentions. He responded by saying: "I have no announcement today. I'm very happy where I am."
"I have no announcement
today"? Maybe tomorrow, though? Talk about a crystal clear non-announcement...
In other words, we have an outsider who is possible contender for the Mayor's chair trying to make political hay out of a big project... does this sound familiar to anyone? Watson is an outsider as much as O'Brien was last time around. Attacking a city-building project like this one will, I hope, permanently discredit him.
Because after all, if after all is said and done, and planned, some politician deems the project to be "too expensive" and cancels it, what are we left with? More money for roads? From who's budget?
The transit plan is now beyond politics. It should be embraced by all candidates. Candidates who attack it should be viewed by the electorate with the highest suspiscion.