Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG
i mean i know people who moved in and after a few years they sold their cars too but it would be more value to have a space for resale at least
|
Bottom line is: Living in the *West End*, for 100 units it is reasonable to have 100 resident parking spaces. If there are shared cars in the building, 100 or less is reasonable. In another less "livable" community where transit is not so accessible or amenities are further away than in the West End, I would expect more residential parking spaces. The city should be setting standards of 1:1 OR LESS for downtown developments, to encourage car sharing and help developers bring down the overhead on construction, thus helping to facilitate at least some market-priced suites in each building.
I know I am just an anecdotal evidence, but I've never owned my own car in Vancouver, have owned a condo for almost all the time I've been here on the edge of downtown, and am a car-sharer. I'm not typical in that I don't need to commute long distances with a car, but my wife uses the bus to get to work or walks or occasionally bikes. Yes, nice options if you can get them. Having said that, in our loft, on a typical day there are unused cars sitting in almost half of the car spaces every work day, so most people don't really *need* a car on a daily basis - car sharing would be perfect for our condo, so we would be fine with 1:1 or less car spaces IF there were sufficient car sharing vehicles in the building. And many of my peers are in the same position - they live within the Broadway Corridor or closer to downtown, on easy access to major transit routes, and either don't use a car every day, or would be happy to have easy access to Zipcars/CAN.