HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3881  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 8:53 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
I wonder if security is being double checked at the main library. It seems that a rather daring graffiti artist gained access to the roof and has now left a series of HUGE coloured characters across the upper level. It is easily seen from the intersection of Georgia and Homer. The city expects property owners to deal with graffiti quickly so I wonder if they will set an example and get this cleaned up pronto.
     
     
  #3882  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 4:34 PM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I wonder if security is being double checked at the main library. It seems that a rather daring graffiti artist gained access to the roof and has now left a series of HUGE coloured characters across the upper level. It is easily seen from the intersection of Georgia and Homer. The city expects property owners to deal with graffiti quickly so I wonder if they will set an example and get this cleaned up pronto.
Great.

Grafitti vandals are losers.
     
     
  #3883  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:43 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Alto

Alto:

(my photo, taken July 8)
     
     
  #3884  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 10:33 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
The wrapping on the Keefer Lofts in Chinatown are off now. Here's a little glimpse while I was at the Night Market:



     
     
  #3885  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 4:41 PM
flight_from_kamakura's Avatar
flight_from_kamakura flight_from_kamakura is offline
testify
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: san francisco and montreal
Posts: 1,319
wow, i really like the ceilings and exposed brick walls on that one!
     
     
  #3886  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 7:01 PM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
Personally I like artistic graffitti (not the typical gang-tags), but doing such a thing on the libary is distasteful to other artistic works.
     
     
  #3887  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 8:14 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Penticton
Posts: 3,729
Alto and West Pender Place from Friday


     
     
  #3888  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 8:19 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,731
Thanks for the West Pender Place photo. I haven't been in that part of the city for a while and it's good to see that the west tower is above grade. Good photos.
     
     
  #3889  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hed Kandi's Avatar
Hed Kandi Hed Kandi is offline
+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,575
West Pender is moving extremely quick. Very nice to see!!
     
     
  #3890  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:14 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Good news. The humungous graffiti on the upper level of the library is all gone. Just one week to get rid of it. Not bad. :-)
     
     
  #3891  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:30 AM
johnjimbc johnjimbc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 766
Harbour Tower Lighting

Maybe I just happened to catch something they've done before, but I saw something interesting last night.

Some coloured lighting was being switched on and off on Harbour Tower, lighting the underside of the observation area. I only saw it for a couple of minutes, but one of the colours was red. I want to say the other colour I saw switched on for a few seconds was blue.

Is that something new? Olympic related maybe . . . just trying out the options. Or is this something they've done before on Harbour Tower, and I've just never seen it before?
     
     
  #3892  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 1:10 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
All I've ever seen on the Harbour Centre Tower is the Xmas lights on the antenna. Sounds new.
     
     
  #3893  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:24 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Good news. The humungous graffiti on the upper level of the library is all gone. Just one week to get rid of it. Not bad. :-)
That is good news. Thanks for the update!
     
     
  #3894  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 6:02 AM
punkster1982 punkster1982 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjimbc View Post
Maybe I just happened to catch something they've done before, but I saw something interesting last night.

Some coloured lighting was being switched on and off on Harbour Tower, lighting the underside of the observation area. I only saw it for a couple of minutes, but one of the colours was red. I want to say the other colour I saw switched on for a few seconds was blue.

Is that something new? Olympic related maybe . . . just trying out the options. Or is this something they've done before on Harbour Tower, and I've just never seen it before?
I live in the Hudson and my place looks directly towards Harbour Centre. I just noticed the lighting effects in the last couple days. It flashes between blue, white, red and pink and then goes into a sequence where it phases from blue to green to yellow etc....It doesn't look that great imho since it doesn't cover the entire part of the tower underneith, just parts of it. Maybe they are testing it for the Olympics? I know there is a secretive VANOC team that is planning the 'look' of dt during the games....
     
     
  #3895  
Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 7:33 AM
raggedy13's Avatar
raggedy13 raggedy13 is offline
Dérive-r
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,450
I hope (and at this point assume) they're planning on keeping this new coloured lighting as a permanent fixture (if they can perfect it). I'm quite curious to see what it looks like.
     
     
  #3896  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 3:24 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
The city will be installing another washroom on Robson just west of Granville in front of Eatons. The one just down the street at Robson and Richards apparently will be activated at that time. I didn't realize it's been sitting there for months and hasn't been plumbed.
     
     
  #3897  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 3:38 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
Eatons! They are back?! God no!
     
     
  #3898  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 3:54 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
— I wasn't supposed to say anything. Don't tell anyone.
     
     
  #3899  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:24 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,166
Haha, you gotta be careful Jlousa, enough people on SSP will probably believe you.

Also spork, would you rather Sears over Eaton's??
     
     
  #3900  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 4:36 PM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The city will be installing another washroom on Robson just west of Granville in front of Eatons. The one just down the street at Robson and Richards apparently will be activated at that time. I didn't realize it's been sitting there for months and hasn't been plumbed.
Geez, it's not even open yet and it looks like a filthy hell hole?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:31 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.