HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
If somehow someone (ie Smalisz) reminds me, I'll take a bunch of pics this Saturday.

i will remind you on friday... ^ those pictures are quite old. I really wanna see that Water Coaster!

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 8:10 AM

Reminder! Pictures por favor.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 5:31 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
/\ good pics, however there are TONS more slides and some really cool looking ones. I still am not sure what the big cone looking slide is all about. If somehow someone (ie Smalisz) reminds me, I'll take a bunch of pics this Saturday.
I think it's this...just vertical instead of horizontal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DER...eature=related

MAN! Where was this when I was a kid?

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalisz View Post
Reminder! Pictures por favor.
Ask nicely and ye shall receive... it was actually harder to get pictures showing off the coolness of the slides than I thought it would be.

Old Posted May 17, 2009, 11:13 PM

Thanks Phx31! This place is going to be soo awesome!

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 12:58 AM

Yea it looks like a pretty first class water park. I've lived within 5 miles of the place for the last 17 years and this summer may be the first time I ever check it out.

Would be cool if it spurs some development around it, maybe a hotel or something.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Ask nicely and ye shall receive... it was actually harder to get pictures showing off the coolness of the slides than I thought it would be.

That long YELLOW water slide (in the 1st three photos) actually looks like a "water roller coaster".

If thats so, that will be really cool since I havent seen anything like it at the waterparks that I have visited.

However, what sucks is that the park is open only 3 or 4 dam months out of the year.

Being that Phoenix is warm relatively YEAR ROUND, thats my excuse for the

park being a year round operation. I know it can freeze here in December or

January, BUT, stretches of 80 degree temps are NOT UNCOMMON, and besides it RARELY freezes in Phoenix.

The bottom line is that we have more WARM days in the winter than "seemingly" cold days.

SECOND, Phoenix is a high tourism place, so I think enough people traffic will

filter in. And if the ARIZONA CARDINALS win the super-bowl next year, that

will be a hell of a place to Party or celebrate at.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbuild View Post
However, what sucks is that the park is open only 3 or 4 dam months out of the year.
According to the Calender on their website, they will be open until the 1st weekend in November. Strange that they will only be open weekends after August 17th though.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
According to the Calender on their website, they will be open until the 1st weekend in November. Strange that they will only be open weekends after August 17th though.

School starts then... no reason to be open during the day when all of your clients won't be able to come.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 9:35 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...x-wet0620.html

State's largest water park likely to open late in June
$30 million facility to have 30 slides on 35 acres
by Betty Reid - Jun. 20, 2009 08:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Hold off on the swimming gear another two weeks, because Arizona's largest water park is expected to open later this month.

Officials with Wet 'n' Wild Phoenix, a water park in north Phoenix, said they are targeting a late June opening instead of mid-June as previously projected. Workers at the water park, 4243 W. Pinnacle Peak Road, were busy this week focused on its western and northern portions while a water truck circled the area keeping the dust under control.

As construction work wraps up, the opening will be closer to late June, said Paul Peterson, a spokesman for Wet 'n' Wild Phoenix.

"We are hoping to announce an opening date very soon but don't have an official day yet," Peterson said.

When the park opens this month, it will be one of north Phoenix's largest and most visible businesses to kick off during a struggling economy. The Village Roadshow, a Melbourne, Australia-based business, has pumped about $30 million into 30 slides packed onto 35 acres.

Wet 'n' Wild officials said in May they are counting on customers who plan to stay in the Valley for their summer vacations during the first season.

The company also hired about 300 seasonal workers in May, including some former city of Phoenix lifeguards who were let go because eight city pools closed for remodeling this year. One lifeguard said he was told to report for work later this month.

Officials ask people to check back regularly at its new Web site, www.mywetnwild.com, for updated information.
I'm going to have to check this out when it opens. Sounds like it is going to be sweet! Looking forward to it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:37 AM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 6:47 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az

Sometimes the lack of design in the world really astounds me. Don't they think when its 120 outside people would want some shade, even on the lazy river? Im not saying you've got to line the thing with cottonwoods, heck that would be too much shade and people want some sun. But Palo Verdes or Breas lining the lazy river filtering the sun but not blocking it out would certainly be pleasant there.

I need to become a landscape architect I guess, it seems like 90% of all man planted vegetation I see is just completely strewn about in a random fashion.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:52 PM

/\ I thought the exact same thing. It sucks that the trees that I'm sure they did just plant will take years to grow into anything resembling a shade tree or making the park a lush oasis.

However, I'm not sure they want a ton of trees lining the river or even the slides or pools... the leaves/pods/flowers/debris that falls from trees would probably play havoc with their pumps and filtering systems. It would be a nightmare to keep the water attractions clean.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:59 PM
BANNED

Its actually amazing how well placed palms can provide quite a lot of shade. They should never plant Queen Palms in desert soils, they don't do good in alkaline soils, need acidic soils, heavy fertilization to keep them green and disease free in Phx. Wish they would've planted Date Palms instead.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 6:25 PM
High Voltage

Me thinks it is time to make a visit there. Me thinks this weekend even. It is going to be bloody hot, so what better opportunity.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:43 PM
High Voltage

Well, I went there this weekend. It's kinda pricey, but it's worth it imo. My friends and I had a blast. The attraction I liked the best is Maximum Velocity. It's sort of like a roller coaster, only with water. One of the others I really liked is Mammoth Falls. Nothing like going vertical before returning to earth! LOL. That one is really fun.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:59 PM

My gf has her cousin coming in from Nebraska to stay with us in a couple weeks. I think we're going to take him there. It looks fun, but mostly I'm curious to see all of the changes because I went to Waterworld about a million times as a kid.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest