HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3181  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 8:09 PM
Gordon Gordon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,065
How many of the stations actually have the LCD screens installed and working in them? Granville & Burrard don't.
     
     
  #3182  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 8:12 PM
cornholio cornholio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,916
10min x a day = 20min a day....thats 100min a week or just over 400min a month...

so about 7hrs a month wasted to save about $150...thats just over $20 a hour. So first of all you have to make under $20 an hour for this to be finacially worth it. BUT then you add on the added stress of having to transfer run around, miss connections, etc. Not to mention that by all accounts the trip will end up taking longer than 10min more often than not.
Anopther way to look at it is that your wasting 84hrs a year in the best case scenario....thats over two weeks of vacation time...you might not notice the time lost on a daily basis but the time will be lost and it will have a really effect on your overall stress and health level.
IO dont know man, I just dont see any financial or personal benefit what so ever...but than again I am more of a numbers person.
     
     
  #3183  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 8:18 PM
mrjauk mrjauk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
10min x a day = 20min a day....thats 100min a week or just over 400min a month...

so about 7hrs a month wasted to save about $150...thats just over $20 a hour. So first of all you have to make under $20 an hour for this to be finacially worth it. BUT then you add on the added stress of having to transfer run around, miss connections, etc. Not to mention that by all accounts the trip will end up taking longer than 10min more often than not.

IO dont know man, I just dont see any financial or personal benefit what so ever...but than again I am more of a numbers person.
But I assumed that DKaz was implying that the lack of traffic on the MH bypass saved him 15 minutes, but that was an anomaly. But the rest of your math is correct.
     
     
  #3184  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 9:19 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
Neh, priorities have a changed a bit, I have a kid now so having more cash is more important. This is just temporary until the end of August, traffic after September will be horrible, though I wonder how much of the reduced traffic is due to traffic shifting over to the Golden Ears Bridge. My commute is still shorter than somoene who has to take transit from Langley.

When my wife was still working we drove to work to save money, it took an average of 20 minutes extra over taking West Coast Express but eh...

Anyway we're hoping to move to Port Moody/Burnaby/New West this autumn so all this is just short term pain.
     
     
  #3185  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:54 AM
Hot Rod's Avatar
Hot Rod Hot Rod is offline
Big City Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle-Vancouver-Osaka-Chongqing-Chicago-OKC
Posts: 1,187
here is another pic and story from Seattle, regarding the new ST link light rail. They're already having troubles and it isn't officially up and running yet.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009399604_webtraincrash29m.html
     
     
  #3186  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:57 AM
deasine deasine is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,747
That person deserves to get hit. If you don't follow the mirrors, at least do a simple shoulder check before turning left to make sure there isn't a train -__-
     
     
  #3187  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:58 AM
The_Henry_Man The_Henry_Man is offline
HA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Cloud, MN/Richmond, BC
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
here is another pic and story from Seattle, regarding the new ST link light rail. They're already having troubles and it isn't officially up and running yet.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009399604_webtraincrash29m.html
Another proof why the UBC Line CANNOT be at-grade LRT on Broadway. And yeah, the driver is a stupid fool.
     
     
  #3188  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 5:14 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Wow, the line isn't even open yet and is only running tests yet there have already been three incidents. "This is the third incident involving a test train in Rainier Valley, where tracks run in a median at street level. Two involved cars, and in one case, a person walked into the side of a train."

And they had to stop testing for 90 mins during rush hour.
     
     
  #3189  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:07 AM
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,626
That should be on the UBC skytrain advocacy website.

The only major incidents in Skytrain history have been people jumping, falling, or getting pushed into the tracks. There has never been a collision of any kind I believe.

BTW "a person walked into the side of a train" what the heck does that mean? That's pretty dumb.
     
     
  #3190  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:40 AM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
There has been one Skytrain de-rail (?) when I think someone was driving manual and de-railed at a switching (going to fast?) hence by 148 was sitting outsite the bombardier building for a couple years.
     
     
  #3191  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:51 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
^ not really a biggie considering it was manually driven.
     
     
  #3192  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 7:16 AM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
How about the "Near Miss" on the inbound merge for the M/E line when it first opened?
     
     
  #3193  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 1:01 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
At least the trains weren't damaged! I guess LRT manufacturers know that vehicle collisions are bound to happen and built these trains tough as a result.
     
     
  #3194  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 3:06 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
^ tough and very heavy.
     
     
  #3195  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:00 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
At least the trains weren't damaged! I guess LRT manufacturers know that vehicle collisions are bound to happen and built these trains tough as a result.
They should have bash bars on the front specifically to protect them. There are plenty of idiots out there and they deserve what they get. I hope for Seattle's sake that these trains all have cameras and monitoring systems so there is no BS when blame is being determined. Sue these idiots.
     
     
  #3196  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:34 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
^ tough and very heavy.
Heavy would definitely give it an advantage over the car but a lightweight shell would still get damaged in a collision.

I would hate to see an LRT collide with a semi though...
     
     
  #3197  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 5:06 PM
CLC CLC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 877
most (if not all) LRT systems in the world has encountered deadly accidents with other road users, causing deaths to many LRT vechicle drivers as well
     
     
  #3198  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:52 PM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
So I should have been hit when I crossed the street on a red light, behind someone who also was crossing (and traffic was stopped). Since I am legally blind it's difficult for me to see the cross-walk light (it not impossible at some cross-walks). I followed the person in front of me and a car nearly hit me. So I guess I deserved it?
     
     
  #3199  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 7:00 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
So I should have been hit when I crossed the street on a red light, behind someone who also was crossing (and traffic was stopped). Since I am legally blind it's difficult for me to see the cross-walk light (it not impossible at some cross-walks). I followed the person in front of me and a car nearly hit me. So I guess I deserved it?
There are audible tones for the blind, correct? They wouldn't be on at the time you were preparing to cross the road.

People seem to forget cars are incredibly dangerous. Rules exist to govern their movement. If you are doing something against those rules and you get hit, yes, it is your fault. You are responsible for your own safety, not some random person in front of you.
     
     
  #3200  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 7:01 PM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
Not all cross-walks have an audible tone, and there was people crossing, cars were stopped, so logically I would cross as well.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.