HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6401  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:40 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
While I agree that compared to many train systems around the world skytrain is very clean, it can always improve (and I hope it does).

That being said, it does have horrible customer service. It really should have a staff member at every station, 2 at busy stations (such as Waterfront, Burrard, Metrotown, etc...).

I remember a couple years ago the Burrard street skytrain elevator was out of order, and my friends and I were there to take the train around 9pm at night. At the station was a woman with a baby carriage who could not get down the stairs or the escalator by herself (she was quite a small woman). So my friends and I quickly went down to check for a station attendant, we checked every level of the station and found no one. So we then had to go back up (we were in a rush) re-checking the station for an employee, after again finding no one we had to carry the baby carriage ourselves to the train platform. To me there is no excuse for that, especially at such a key station as Burrard.

I wish skytrain employees were partly paid on service reviews and cleanliness of the system.
     
     
  #6402  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 2:14 PM
metroXpress's Avatar
metroXpress metroXpress is offline
(||||||-||||-||||||)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 2,220
Quote:
4. There will be MORE farechecks than on the skytrain. Many more... BUT.... there are no turnstiles... all stations are designed for them and they are slated for installation late 2010/early 2011.

Faregates please!
     
     
  #6403  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 5:13 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
While I agree that compared to many train systems around the world skytrain is very clean, it can always improve (and I hope it does).

That being said, it does have horrible customer service. It really should have a staff member at every station, 2 at busy stations (such as Waterfront, Burrard, Metrotown, etc...).

I remember a couple years ago the Burrard street skytrain elevator was out of order, and my friends and I were there to take the train around 9pm at night. At the station was a woman with a baby carriage who could not get down the stairs or the escalator by herself (she was quite a small woman). So my friends and I quickly went down to check for a station attendant, we checked every level of the station and found no one. So we then had to go back up (we were in a rush) re-checking the station for an employee, after again finding no one we had to carry the baby carriage ourselves to the train platform. To me there is no excuse for that, especially at such a key station as Burrard.

I wish skytrain employees were partly paid on service reviews and cleanliness of the system.
I personally think most of the SkyTrain cars are quite filthy by the time the afternoon rush starts....not much you can do about that with the union in the way.

At least the union doesn't hold the transit company with a knife by the throat, just look at the TTC. Terrible maintenance, atrocious customer service, and apparently you don't even have to show up to work to get paid - ridiculously high wages and numerous benefits for doing squat.
     
     
  #6404  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 6:52 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by djun View Post
That's just around a month and a half from now!
yea that the first monday of august!
     
     
  #6405  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 6:52 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
I'm really digging this, it's quite promising:




And of special note:
yes thats the stuff the guy in green told me and my friend at the open house
     
     
  #6406  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 6:54 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
While I agree that compared to many train systems around the world skytrain is very clean, it can always improve (and I hope it does).

That being said, it does have horrible customer service. It really should have a staff member at every station, 2 at busy stations (such as Waterfront, Burrard, Metrotown, etc...).

I remember a couple years ago the Burrard street skytrain elevator was out of order, and my friends and I were there to take the train around 9pm at night. At the station was a woman with a baby carriage who could not get down the stairs or the escalator by herself (she was quite a small woman). So my friends and I quickly went down to check for a station attendant, we checked every level of the station and found no one. So we then had to go back up (we were in a rush) re-checking the station for an employee, after again finding no one we had to carry the baby carriage ourselves to the train platform. To me there is no excuse for that, especially at such a key station as Burrard.

I wish skytrain employees were partly paid on service reviews and cleanliness of the system.
but than they can't go around in groups talking to each other - i never see them do anything useful they just stand together and chit chat all the time
     
     
  #6407  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:15 PM
Whalleyboy's Avatar
Whalleyboy Whalleyboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,014
i hope translink will take this as a challenge to look after everything of theres a little more
     
     
  #6408  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 8:24 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
i hope translink will take this as a challenge to look after everything of theres a little more
That's a good point! One thing that they can REALLY improve on is doing something that they USED to do! The BlueCoats USED to check fares. Since the "Special Police" came on board (and a little before that) it's no longer in their job description... so no one takes them seriously.

It was probably a union thing. I have no doubt that the green/black guys will not have powers to ticket but for most people the fear of getting checked and publically embarrassed is enough for them to buy a ticket. IN Berlin, they have plain clothes police... something I think that they should have here.

Although I think the smack talk is uncalled for, I hope that is a sense of pride in the system. It will really elevate the need to do the same on the SkyTrain system.

I also think that if there are enough fare checks, it will really show the usefulness of a POP system... something that SkyTrain lacks.
     
     
  #6409  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 10:58 PM
martinishaker's Avatar
martinishaker martinishaker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 212
     
     
  #6410  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 11:15 PM
metroXpress's Avatar
metroXpress metroXpress is offline
(||||||-||||-||||||)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 2,220
^ good one!
     
     
  #6411  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 5:40 PM
metroXpress's Avatar
metroXpress metroXpress is offline
(||||||-||||-||||||)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 2,220
Photo Update

WATERFRONT






























=================================================
YVR










































































All photos by Tafyrn @ Canada Line Blogspot
http://canadalinephotos.blogspot.com/2009/06/2009-06-20-yvr-station.html
     
     
  #6412  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 5:53 PM
djmk's Avatar
djmk djmk is offline
victory in near
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 1,820
waterfront and YVR look good! thanks for the pics
     
     
  #6413  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 7:58 PM
argon007 argon007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 159
waterfront and yvr look good. thanks for pic.
     
     
  #6414  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 11:42 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,804
In this pic from en2, I suspect that a future down escalator can be installed to the left of the staircase.

Quote:
You can see the same space on the CP Station level in this Tafryn pic:

Quote:
     
     
  #6415  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 11:52 PM
metroXpress's Avatar
metroXpress metroXpress is offline
(||||||-||||-||||||)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 2,220
^ good point! I believe it is necessary to have another escalator installed. It's going be super busy!
     
     
  #6416  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 12:02 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
very nice.
     
     
  #6417  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 2:26 AM
Mac Write Mac Write is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,423
I truly don't understand why all new stations from 90's on-words don't have up and down escalators. For the disabled who have trouble with stairs (such as me with my vision+balance) a down escalator would be a tremendous help and not require me to use the elevator. Allot of other visually impair people, etc would really appreciate this simple request.

Off the top of my head, only the following stations offer on all exits down+up escalators
  • Broadway
  • Commercial Drive
A few others have down+up on one entrance, but not the other enterance.
     
     
  #6418  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 3:28 AM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,302
I remember I twisted my ankle in 2007 training for the sun run, and also got a hernia that year too. Going down the stairs was hard.
     
     
  #6419  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 5:15 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Great pics, thanks for posting Allen. I took a couple tonight walking by Yaletown station:





     
     
  #6420  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 4:01 AM
The_Henry_Man The_Henry_Man is offline
HA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Cloud, MN/Richmond, BC
Posts: 873
Fare ticket machines (and also fare validators I think) has already been installed in Lansdowne and Richmond-Brighouse Stations today.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:56 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.