HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    The Pinnacle at Symphony Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Nashville Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:11 PM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,287
Unhappy

Sadly, the north tower crane is coming down today.

Can a mod update this to T/O?
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:59 AM
freemanphotography's Avatar
freemanphotography freemanphotography is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6
I am very excited to find this site and sad that I have to find you all at this moment...

I am a resident of Nashville and a lover of bold, defiantly original architecture. I love much of the architecture of Nashville—including many of the new overly saturated condos—but I am in mourning tonight.

I hadn't seen the full design of the pinnacle building—I was excited to watch it rise high above, with great anticipation. Well, I finally drove down to the site today to see it up-close...and it looks hideous folks. My heart half broke...

Then I went online searching for the design specs—hoping to get re-inspired—only to discover that the facade is practically done, which broke the other half of my heart. This building is utterly unacceptable on so many levels.

It looks like a bad mini-me knock off of the Empire State building—but with its' head lopped off. There is nothing original, nothing daring, nothing bold, nothing inspiring—nothing about this building that deserves to stand next to the remarkable structures of (IMO) one of the most progressive and fun melting-pot cities in America.

I apologize for being so negative. I just need to vent; and to do so with others who love architecture. On a positive note, I LOVE the design of the Signature Tower. The entrance reminds me of the stylization of the artwork used for Ayn Rand's novels.

<end ramble>

-Freeman
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted May 27, 2009, 9:33 PM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,287
I don't know what crack pipe you've smoked, but it hardly looks anything like the ESB.

Also, not the best way to sound off as your first comment. You might as well hang it up on Siggy, that baby won't be around for a while.
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted May 27, 2009, 11:40 PM
BnaBreaker's Avatar
BnaBreaker BnaBreaker is offline
Resist Fascism
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago/Nashville
Posts: 20,099
The Pinnacle is obviously not going to be gracing the cover of any elegant architecture coffee table book. It's not a masterpiece. But why does it need to be? What the hell is wrong with just being adequate? The designer never promised anyone that it was going to be a monument to the concept of beauty.

I get so sick of people holding perfection as their standard and 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 🞵 🞵🞵🞵🞵 all over anything that isn't ground-breaking. It IS okay if a building is just a building.
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted May 28, 2009, 2:46 AM
vandelay vandelay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 872
The setbacks on the crown are reminiscent of, and are probably inspired by, Art Deco buildings. They're pleasing to my eye--much better than a flat-top office building.

To me this looks more like Pelli's Goldman Sachs tower in Jersey City:



Regardless, it's got a pleasing shape and a nice crown. It could be A LOT worse.
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted May 28, 2009, 3:26 AM
Matthew's Avatar
Matthew Matthew is offline
Fourth and Main
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Johns Creek, GA (Atlanta)
Posts: 3,262
I love this building and think it is a great design. As I've said before, I would love to have this in my city! Look closely at the details in the building. It's not always easy to see everything in the design in photos. Please share more update photos!
__________________
My Diagram
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted May 30, 2009, 7:30 PM
freemanphotography's Avatar
freemanphotography freemanphotography is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
What the hell is wrong with just being adequate?
A monument to adequacy...

FutureSooner: Yes, I know, not the most positive intro—but the skyline of Nashville is gorgeous and if you walk up to the building...well, tearing of robes and gnashing of teeth.

Vandelay: See now, I LIKE that building. The top doesn't have a spire; but it doesn't need to have one. It makes a clear statement. Buildings are like a story, told from the ground up. When I drive into the city and look at it, it appears to be missing the final chapters.

Matthew: Good idea! I may try to capture some shots to share. The design pictures online are flattering. Up close, it looks like a building erected in the 70s. Hard to explain without photos.

And yeah, I love the Nashville architecture. I am very excited about the Signature Tower. I wish it could have been built with the original 70+ story design.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted May 30, 2009, 7:40 PM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,287
Wth are you talking about? There's no another building like it in the city and love how it reflects the sky and other skyscrapers. While the base may be a little bland, remember, it is no where near completed, hell, they haven't got all the windows in yet, and the crown wa only lit for a few days to see if any defects were there.
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted May 30, 2009, 7:56 PM
BnaBreaker's Avatar
BnaBreaker BnaBreaker is offline
Resist Fascism
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago/Nashville
Posts: 20,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemanphotography View Post
A monument to adequacy...
Well that's just it, isn't it? It's not supposed to be a "monument" to anything. It's just a building. I don't know what it is about some people from cities that don't see many highrise projects, but they always expect every new structure to be mind-blowingly incredible. I don't get that mentality at all. It's as if the only function of a building to them is to look pretty for postcards, and if it isn't beautiful enough to make it onto any meaningless and arbitrary 'top 100' lists, then it is useless in their eyes. A building is just one tiny part of the entirity of a city's urban fabric. To me, any true lover of vibrant urban spaces should be far more concerned with the way the building addresses the street than the way it looks in a photograph.
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted May 30, 2009, 10:54 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Looks nice. It really reminds me a lot of the Frost Bank Tower. Some of those construction shots of it from down the street that didn't show all of it, really reminded me of Frost when it was going up. The proportions, color and shape. It's squatty too. lol Nice building though.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted May 31, 2009, 12:27 AM
Matthew's Avatar
Matthew Matthew is offline
Fourth and Main
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Johns Creek, GA (Atlanta)
Posts: 3,262
I think you misunderstood me. This photo was taken by futuresooner on page 5 of this thread. I used it to show some of the over-looked details on this building. These are easier to see in person than in photos. The base is similar to Frost Bank Tower. This is one of the best skyscrapers in Nashville and among the best new skyscrapers in the southeast. I've followed it and would like to see more construction photos!

__________________
My Diagram
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 8:58 AM
freemanphotography's Avatar
freemanphotography freemanphotography is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6
I get it. I understand the concept. But anyone here who is an artist understands that the concept doesn't always translate well, to the finished product. From any distance, the setbacks appear to be more floors (not four individual, cresting walls); so it looks like the building is preparing for the crescendo...that never comes.

BnaBreaker, I would agree with you, if we were discussing making the Cool Springs Walmart match the brick facade of the rest of Franklin. Skyscrapers are an entirely different genre. They are statements of mocking defiance, demanding to be recognized. They frame the skyline and give a city its shape. A middle finger of celebration, in a sense. The Pinnacle building lost its top knuckle and nail, somewhere along the way.



There are far too many amazing buildings in Nashville to keep discussing this one.
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 11:39 PM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,287
Unfortunately, you're on a SKYSCRAPER website.
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 11:13 PM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,287
Exterior construction is pretty much complete, however work continues on the interior. Opening may come before the end of the year at current pace.
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 3:10 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Any skyline photos with the finished product?
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 1:13 AM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Any skyline photos with the finished product?
I didn't get anyin the 2 weeks I was there last week and the one before. Basically it is the same as the previous bunch I posted in this thread and a Nashville photo thread, minus the crane.

Check this link out during daylight hours, a SkyCam from Vanderbilt gives an excellent perspective.
http://www.wtvf.com/Global/category.asp?C=101670
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:38 AM
TBONE39 TBONE39 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Here is a photo from my dad's condo in the Encore 14th floor.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YzbI5tjN5XaUneHOCh0Q0A?feat=directlink

Last edited by TBONE39; Sep 16, 2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: messed up photo
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 5:42 AM
MidTenn1's Avatar
MidTenn1 MidTenn1 is offline
Nashville born and raised
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 1,149
Some final pictures of the completed building.

















It does stretch out the skyline to the south quite a bit.
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 6:57 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c373/pth3rd/Pinnacle4.jpg
It really looks strange to me. Like Austin's Frost Bank Tower with the crown lopped off at the top and then straightened.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:30 AM
futuresooner's Avatar
futuresooner futuresooner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,287
Thumbs up

The law firm Bass, Berry, and Sims begin moving in next week. The building's namesake, Pinnacle Financial, begins moving into their spaces at the start of next year.

I guess we can move this to completed next week.
__________________
"When you don't want to Dallas your Austin, you just emulate the Bay Area."
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:44 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.