Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel
I'm a little bit surprised that Calgary appears to be almost as busy as Montreal in that stats. What happened to all the tourism industries in Montreal ? That place is a hot bed for many tourists (including myself, except I took the train to Montreal). I guess the concentration of business trips in Calgary more than make up that difference.
|
Airports in the province of Quebec generally post proportionately lower traffic numbers than those in the other provinces because Quebecers are much less likely to have family and friends (and also to some degree, business dealings) in another province than other Canadians are. VFRs (visiting friends and relatives in travel jargon) make up a significant proportion of the travelling public - enough to make a difference in tables such as these.
English-Canadians are spread out more across the country and tend to move between provinces a lot. Whereas the francophone population is concentrated in Quebec and neighbouring areas of New Brunswick and Ontario, an area which is reasonably driveable.
I live in Gatineau in southwestern Quebec and have friends, neighbours, acquaintances and family members from all over French-speaking Canada. Everyone here drives when travelling within the broad area from, say, Timmins to Moncton.