Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa
Racc, I'm not sure what you think I do for a living, but I am very aware of what it costs to build something. Those bridges I quoted are comparable in length, the fact that the bridge needs to be a certain height only increases the length of the bridge by starting the bridge further back on higher ground in order to provide the clearance needed. The crossing at Burrard is ~700ft, with brining the start point back it's still well under the 1500ft of the Eugene bridge. Comparing costs of revitalizing existing bridges to building something new is irrelevant, it is almost always cheaper to build from scratch then to rework an existing project. A bike/ped bridge could be built for under $20Million, we would know that if the city put this out to tender.
It wouldn't need to be 8m wide, the standard for shared bike/ped bidirectional traffic is 3.0m as per build guidelines, even if we become very generous and double that it's only 6m wide. Again comparable to the bridges I posted.
|
Well, I must admit, you are very good at proving how little you know. Please follow my advice and do your research so we can have an informed discussion.
3m paths only work in very low volume applications, no more than a few hundred users per day. 4m is the current standard being used in the region and even that is proving problematic. Shared paths in general are a poor idea. Cyclists and pedestrians travel at different speeds so they really need separate paths. Pedestrians also like to walk side by side which makes it difficult for cyclists to pass them. On the new sections of the Seawall Path, there is a 4.5m ped path and 4.5m cycling path.
Don't forget what we are talking about here is the shared sidewalk on the Burrard Bridge, which is proving very dangerous and problematic. I'm not sure how you think a path that is only marginally wider than one of the sidewalks on the bridge, could handle the volume of both sidewalks. In addition to research, picking up some common sense would help.
A new bridge over False Creek connecting the Seaside Paths would prove extremely popular. People would stand on it just to enjoy the views and take pictures. It would likely be much busier than the Burrard Bridge or even the Seawall Path. To suggest a 3m width would be enough is totally laughable.
I'm not even sure 8m would be enough given the 4.5m standard for each the bike and ped paths on the Seawall. Paths on a bridge need a shy distance of .5m on each side so cyclists don't hit their handle bars on the railings so 10m or even 12m might even be needed to account for future increases in demand.
Regarding:
, the $20 million quote for the sidewalk expansion and railing repair was before they did the detailed design work and found out the cost was $63 million including $30 for the widening. And, all the bridges you have found so far are much lower than the Burrard Bridge would have to be.
I am being tough on you here but hopefully you will use this as an opportunity to pick up your game.