HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 3:33 PM
c_speed3108 c_speed3108 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,859
Indeed it would be nice to see some changes such as condos having to be registered BEFORE anyone can move in.

I once heard a real estate agent say that they felt the optimal time to buy a condo is when the building is 3 years old. This way it is still new but all the — has been sorted out.

Condos: Driving suburban single family home construction one crappy, annoying, money hungry developer at a time



I was thinking. There is a "condo" column in the Citizen - I think weekly where people write in questions. I think it might be a lawyer that writes it. This would be a good question for that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:43 PM
Skyway Skyway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
Lived for 7 years in a townhouse loft condo and moved last spring to a single detached house in Greenboro. It's more work for upkeep, no more hassles with other unit owners, a dysfunctional condo board, poor property management, etc. Given the added cost of living in condominiums (what with the high condo fees), it will be a long time before I move back to this kind of dwelling. (btw - My single house is a very "urban" style of house, on a small lot, only 32 ft wide.)
I am not sure it costs more to live in a condo when you factor in all the expenses. You pay for what you get and there is a wide variety of condo fee price ranges. For replacements, you receive volume discounts with a condo compared to a single owner home.

However, you're right its more of a lifestyle love it or hate it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:48 PM
ottawaexile ottawaexile is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6
Re: the Sunday night flood. My understanding is that it was a component failure in a major hot water pipe.

Had it been cold water, then there would have been a better chance of the supply being able to be turned off.

Re: the delay in the condo corporation. One really annoying thing with this is the interest rate that Claridge are allowed to charge, I believe it is around 7%, which really — when base rates are around 1.5%.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 7:51 PM
jitterbug jitterbug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
...we went clubbing at minglewoods on halloween at 1:30am for 20 mins just 'cause we felt like it...
I hear what you're saying. But I suspect you're a bit younger than my wife and me (we're in mid 40s). For us, late-night "clubbing" is not a priority (at 1:30 a.m., I'm typically in dreamland). A downtown condo lifestyle seems to appeal mostly to 20-somethings and retirees. Those of us in between (middle age) are more reclusive and irritable - we like our BBQs and private backyards. For me, the best neighbours are the ones who are quiet and who mind their own business. ;-)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 8:46 PM
c_speed3108 c_speed3108 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
I am not sure it costs more to live in a condo when you factor in all the expenses. You pay for what you get and there is a wide variety of condo fee price ranges. For replacements, you receive volume discounts with a condo compared to a single owner home.

However, you're right its more of a lifestyle love it or hate it.
It just depends there is typically a fair bit of overhead to managing condos, although there is a fair benefit to not having to lift a finger on things outside your personal box.

As to condo fee prices ranges, developers know the fees tend to scare people away. Developers tend to do a few things about this.

1) One is underestimate the budget. They have to cover the difference the first year - after that the owners are left to absorb a fee increase that is often around 25-30% (with great variability)

2) The other thing they are doing minimizing expenses by limiting the common areas, have little to no grass and landscaping, and less services like supers. Unfortunately, as is the case in this discussion there is no free lunch - you do get what you pay for and while leaving out landscaping or outdoor lawns might not make a big difference, some loss of services like on site supers do sometimes come at a heavy price, in this case water damage.


The biggest change I would like to see to new condos would be a rule where the condo cooperation must be registered before anyone can move in. This way occupancy and closing would occur on the same day - like with houses. This would protect owners from paying interest and give them control over their home.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 1:49 AM
Mille Sabords's Avatar
Mille Sabords Mille Sabords is offline
Elle est déjà vide!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Big Bad Ottawa
Posts: 2,083
Earlier today, some views of the excavation (by moi). Forming, forming:






This is one deep hole:




Coming west from Rideau:




And as a bonus, a Phase I beauty shot:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:11 PM
Brooklyn Brooklyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Indeed it would be nice to see some changes such as condos having to be registered BEFORE anyone can move in.
That would be nice

Last edited by Brooklyn; Dec 11, 2008 at 9:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:22 PM
Brooklyn Brooklyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawaexile View Post
One really annoying thing with this is the interest rate that Claridge are allowed to charge, I believe it is around 7%, which really — when base rates are around 1.5%.
Yes the much higher interest rate was really annoying, among its many other annoying things to help the strong (builders) and hurt the weak (owners) are paying for the condo fees when none of the amenities are in usable condition (i.e., pool, gym), paying for Claridge's own lawyer fees at closing, delays for closing (we closed 6 months after moving in, that's almost $12000 on rent, ouch) etc...

This condo experience has certainly been an eye opener.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:29 PM
Brooklyn Brooklyn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
I hear what you're saying. But I suspect you're a bit younger than my wife and me (we're in mid 40s). For us, late-night "clubbing" is not a priority (at 1:30 a.m., I'm typically in dreamland). A downtown condo lifestyle seems to appeal mostly to 20-somethings and retirees. Those of us in between (middle age) are more reclusive and irritable - we like our BBQs and private backyards. For me, the best neighbours are the ones who are quiet and who mind their own business. ;-)
Oh we definitely don't want to stay in a condo forever, the plan is to move to a house in a few years when we're ready to start a family, and may be come back as retirees I definitely don't want to sell this lifestyle to anyone, but it works for us now, I'm just annoyed at all the problems we've had so far - key being "so far", lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 7:51 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,451
20 jan. 2009

Doesn't seem to be moving very fast, this one.





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 2:21 AM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,654
Quote:
By far my favorite angle of this one. Looks too cheap from the Rideau side. The setbacks from this angle make it almost look like 2 thinner towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 5:33 PM
Davis137's Avatar
Davis137 Davis137 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,365
I've driven past this site a couple of times recently...I agree that it IS a BIG hole in the ground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:02 PM
kingcobra kingcobra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 81
Recently I received an e-mail from one of real estate agents whom I rather not name, and the agent informed me that some units from CP I were available for sale.

It sure got me bit puzzled because I thought all units in CP I were sold out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:47 PM
YOWetal YOWetal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobra View Post
Recently I received an e-mail from one of real estate agents whom I rather not name, and the agent informed me that some units from CP I were available for sale.

It sure got me bit puzzled because I thought all units in CP I were sold out.
There are some re-sales already on MLS.

There have also been several rounds of flooding as a result of bursting pipes (not a good sign) so caution would be advisable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 11:19 PM
Ottawade's Avatar
Ottawade Ottawade is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
There are some re-sales already on MLS.

There have also been several rounds of flooding as a result of bursting pipes (not a good sign) so caution would be advisable.
This seems to happen all the time with new buildings. Is it really that hard to engineer the heating so the pipes don't freeze?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 11:25 PM
Tor2Ott's Avatar
Tor2Ott Tor2Ott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawade View Post
This seems to happen all the time with new buildings. Is it really that hard to engineer the heating so the pipes don't freeze?
Is it that common for new buildings? I haven't heard anything from HP.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 6:00 PM
Skyway Skyway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobra View Post
Recently I received an e-mail from one of real estate agents whom I rather not name, and the agent informed me that some units from CP I were available for sale.

It sure got me bit puzzled because I thought all units in CP I were sold out.
This site keeps pretty much up to date. New condos are recently posted. Claridge I is already there.

http://www.condosottawa.com/Downtown/BywardMarket/200RideauStreet
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 6:35 AM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 9,255
southfacing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted May 5, 2009, 5:04 PM
Mille Sabords's Avatar
Mille Sabords Mille Sabords is offline
Elle est déjà vide!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Big Bad Ottawa
Posts: 2,083
Construction is now at ground level and should start soaring soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted May 6, 2009, 1:37 AM
osirisboy's Avatar
osirisboy osirisboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,430
wow the interaction with the street is brutal other than the rideau side.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.