HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5601  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:03 AM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
wow....i'm really digging the new Translink website.


Is it just me, or is there something odd about this map?

There is something very wrong with that map. I pray that's not going to be the one used on the C-Line trains. I don't understand why doing something like this is so difficult. how come we can't seem to get things like this right the first time?
     
     
  #5602  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:04 AM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by clooless View Post
I think Translink is anticipating the effects of global warming.

HAHA..
     
     
  #5603  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:24 AM
racc racc is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I think it's pretty swanky we have an underwater airport. This shows Vancouver is pioneering in something finally.
Global warming is happening faster than we think
     
     
  #5604  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:21 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kelowna BC & Edmonton AB
Posts: 4,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
our airport is in the water
Corrected it for you, Whalleyboy.

are
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English earun; akin to Old Norse eru, erum are, Old English is is present 2d singular or present plural of be

our
Pronunciation:
\är, ˈau̇(-ə)r\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English oure, from Old English ūre; akin to Old High German unsēr our, Old English ūs us
Date: before 12th century
: of or relating to us or ourselves or ourself especially as possessors or possessor, agents or agent, or objects or object of an action <our throne> <our actions> <our being chosen>
     
     
  #5605  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:58 PM
mellenger mellenger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
so even translink calls it skytrain.
From what I understand once it's finished it's SkyTrain, Canada Line. Just like Expo Line and Millennium Line. I'm not sure if I like names or letters and numbers better.
     
     
  #5606  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 4:10 PM
djmk's Avatar
djmk djmk is offline
victory in near
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 1,818
double post
__________________
i have no idea what's going on
     
     
  #5607  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 5:37 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
There is something very wrong with that map. I pray that's not going to be the one used on the C-Line trains. I don't understand why doing something like this is so difficult. how come we can't seem to get things like this right the first time?

Because the world is coming to an end, everyone is evil and stupid, there is no god, satan rules the world, etc.
This mistake on a Vancouver transit website is just the first sign of the apocalypse from what I hear.
     
     
  #5608  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 5:45 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Because the world is coming to an end, everyone is evil and stupid, there is no god, satan rules the world, etc.
This mistake on a Vancouver transit website is just the first sign of the apocalypse from what I hear.
Hey, sarcasm aside, it's still pretty annoying to see stupid designs like this. Just think about how much the people doing this are getting paid, then realize these are your tax dollars paying them, and this is what we get.

Many people here would be happy to design a better view for free...
     
     
  #5609  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:02 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
There is something very wrong with that map. I pray that's not going to be the one used on the C-Line trains. I don't understand why doing something like this is so difficult. how come we can't seem to get things like this right the first time?
I pray that they didn't order a bunch of station signs with errors, as with the Lansdowne Station signs on the platforms there were stickers, that didn't match the colour of the signs at all, covering and correcting errors on the signage.
     
     
  #5610  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 6:04 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,795
Scaling and spacing between stations is off and no need to mention it being post-earthquake liquifaction. Also doesn't show transfers to Expo Line.
     
     
  #5611  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:19 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,026
I am not sure if anyone else ever noticed but there are some maps currently on the skytrains that have a similar error, where Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows are shown as being under water (displaying the WCE stops). I always wanted to take a picture of it and wondered how such an error could get printed.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #5612  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:33 PM
djh djh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,978
All of you who noticed the error, to avoid this error getting into printed material and on the actual stations, PLEASE send an email to Translink and point the errors out to them.

TransLink Board of Directors: [email protected]

Thanks!
     
     
  #5613  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:57 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
FYI... YVR's long range plan had originally excluded consideration of sea level variation so this might not be too far off.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #5614  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:11 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,729
Cellphone coverage underground!

I noticed a new feature about the Canada Line as I was browsing the new Translink website.

Smart Features
Cell phone coverage in train cars – even underground

http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Info/Canada-Line.aspx
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
     
     
  #5615  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:20 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I noticed a new feature about the Canada Line as I was browsing the new Translink website.

Smart Features
Cell phone coverage in train cars – even underground

http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Info/Canada-Line.aspx
Beautiful =) I'm not sure, but usually underground reception is pretty bad, eh?
     
     
  #5616  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:20 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
All of you who noticed the error, to avoid this error getting into printed material and on the actual stations, PLEASE send an email to Translink and point the errors out to them.

TransLink Board of Directors: [email protected]

Thanks!
Or via this form:
http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=cCustomerComplaint
     
     
  #5617  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:27 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,729
I can talk on my Blackberry until I reach the platform at Granville Station, however the EDGE data network works throughout the SkyTrain tunnels.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
     
     
  #5618  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 8:28 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Beautiful =) I'm not sure, but usually underground reception is pretty bad, eh?
unfortunate if you ask me...

my father just returned from Kyoto and was pleasantly surprised that they ban cellphones on public transit and I for one would have to agree that would be a nice gesture here.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #5619  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 9:31 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
All of you who noticed the error, to avoid this error getting into printed material and on the actual stations, PLEASE send an email to Translink and point the errors out to them.

TransLink Board of Directors: [email protected]

Thanks!
Sounds more like a webmaster level problem rather than a Board of Directors issue - you should use twoneurons posted link.
     
     
  #5620  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 9:34 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezied View Post
so even translink calls it skytrain.

So we have an answer to a long standing question!!


Why aren't you all jumping for joy?

Anyways - it makes sense that the Canada Line is just one line of the SkyTrain System.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:37 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.