HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #661  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 8:25 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
It wasn't Dockside. It was on the opposite side of the cove. Right beside the old Motel, where all the infilling is happening. It's a typical HRM development application sign.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #662  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 8:30 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It wasn't Dockside. It was on the opposite side of the cove. Right beside the old Motel, where all the infilling is happening. It's a typical HRM development application sign.
The infill is WDCL property so they might have a development application sign up for Phase II of the Waterfront.

I'm heading down that way tonight so I'll pop over and see which one it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #663  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 1:07 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
The infill is WDCL property so they might have a development application sign up for Phase II of the Waterfront.

I'm heading down that way tonight so I'll pop over and see which one it is.
If memory serves me correct, but i believe Unitied Gulf has property there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #664  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 1:25 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
It wasn't Dockside. It was on the opposite side of the cove. Right beside the old Motel, where all the infilling is happening. It's a typical HRM development application sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
If memory serves me correct, but i believe Unitied Gulf has property there.
Actually its W.M. Fares who has property there according to the sign.

I didn't have my camera on me tonight so I'll snap a picture sometime this weekend when I'm down there on my bicycle but this is what the sign said in short version;

Case 01250
W.M. Fares Group
Mixed-use residential/commercial
827 Bedford Highway.

Interesting thing to note though is right next to this sign is a "Lot for Sale" sign.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #665  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 1:54 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Thanks Bedford_DJ. Maybe Bedford will get a mini Kings Wharf! lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #666  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 2:00 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Thanks Bedford_DJ. Maybe Bedford will get a mini Kings Wharf! lol
Lol I wish.

The lot across the street is limited to four storeys thanks to the condominium building "viewplane" that has to see the water

I tried looking up information but nothing surfaced so I've emailed Councillor Outhit to see if he can get anything for me.

And on another note the lot across the street is starting construction this summer. See the Southgate Village thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #667  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 2:10 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
Oh thank god that was shot down. A walkable, dense urban project would have been terrible for that street. Just terrible.
Hah! At least now in Halifax that might look good, can you imagine what it would have looked like if they had built it back then? Scotia Square II, in the heart of Quinpool, that's what. Yikes!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #668  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 5:22 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Hah! At least now in Halifax that might look good, can you imagine what it would have looked like if they had built it back then? Scotia Square II, in the heart of Quinpool, that's what. Yikes!
Good point. I guess I was just thinking of modern multi-tower projects in places like Vancouver and Toronto that actually look decent and not of Halifax's history of generally poor high rise architecture. It probably would have been a hulking concrete monolith, worse than quinpool tower as it is now. It's bad enough that every time I'm walking toward Scotia Square it feels like I'm traveling to Mordor, let alone potentially having a second beast up the hill.

Last edited by phrenic; Apr 17, 2009 at 5:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #669  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 8:50 PM
Waye Mason's Avatar
Waye Mason Waye Mason is offline
opinionated so and so
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 721
As I say all the time about this "pro vs anti development" nonsense, its not that I am against big buildings, I am against ugly buildings, and most new buildings in Halifax have been ugly for decades. Even where they almost get it (north end of the brewery market, or Bishops Landing) neither integrates with the street really well, not being at grade with the sidewalk drives me bonkers. That and the ugly empty concrete plinths with parking behind them, that happen to this day, far too often.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #670  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 11:00 PM
Halifax Hillbilly Halifax Hillbilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
As I say all the time about this "pro vs anti development" nonsense, its not that I am against big buildings, I am against ugly buildings, and most new buildings in Halifax have been ugly for decades. Even where they almost get it (north end of the brewery market, or Bishops Landing) neither integrates with the street really well, not being at grade with the sidewalk drives me bonkers. That and the ugly empty concrete plinths with parking behind them, that happen to this day, far too often.

Bishops Landing and North Brewery block drive me crazy for the same reasons (and others in the case of the Brewery project). Unfortunately its an unplanned side-effect of the viewplanes - developers are a couple of feet short of another level so they lower the building a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #671  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 7:28 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Thanks Bedford_DJ. Maybe Bedford will get a mini Kings Wharf! lol
Here are some photos of what me and Jonovision were talking about (all photos by me);







And one of the view from the lot;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #672  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 1:14 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
It is a very large lot, but it is also cut right in half by the rail line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #673  
Old Posted May 6, 2009, 1:30 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Does anyone know what up with this one? (All photos from WHW Architects):







------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And while I'm at it heres another one from their website for the QEII Emergency Room Expansion (U/C):

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #674  
Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:36 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by

[IMG
http://www.whwarchitects.com/projects/healthcare/qeII_emerge/1.jpg[/IMG]
this building has a seriously stunted look to it....like it was supposed to be multi-story, and suddenly, at the last moment, was changed to one story......does anyone know if this is so it could be built on-top of in the future?....or is it just an oddly designed building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #675  
Old Posted May 6, 2009, 2:38 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
the building I was referring to is the QE2 emergency expansion
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #676  
Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:15 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
this building has a seriously stunted look to it....like it was supposed to be multi-story, and suddenly, at the last moment, was changed to one story......does anyone know if this is so it could be built on-top of in the future?....or is it just an oddly designed building?
They probably were forced by Pacey to drop the height because it could because it blocked the historic rampart viewplane of the QEII.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #677  
Old Posted May 6, 2009, 3:21 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
They probably were forced by Pacey to drop the height because it could because it blocked the historic rampart viewplane of the QEII.
and Empire probably supports this move
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #678  
Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:42 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
I don't know if this is new thread worthy so I'll post it here;

Case 01003

Basically its an expansion of the existing apartment building at 16 Anchor Drive (Halifax) to increase the number of units from 96 to 124.

A public information meeting has been scheduled for June 4, 2009, at 7:00 pm, St. John the Baptist Church Hall, 24 Purcells Cove Road, Halifax.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #679  
Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:06 PM
loriginal's Avatar
loriginal loriginal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2
Gottingen Terrace

I'm not sure if anyone has posted anything about this, but I was driving down Gottingen last week and I noticed a sales offices for Gottingen Terrace just across from the Staples on the corner of Cogswell. Anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #680  
Old Posted May 8, 2009, 5:32 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I noticed that too. Don't know what it is. But the sign lead me to believe it was townhouses. Maybe its the 4 units they built further down Gottingen closer to the bridge.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.