HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 10:17 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
I'm not sure if it was this thread this was mentioned in but the new trial bridge for the Dartmouth Waterfront Trail is coming along nicely. Here's a picture I snapped today;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 2:08 AM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
I was actually going to comment on it today as well. I can't believe they haven't connected it with the walkway yet, they were installing that last summer!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:23 PM
Rysdad Rysdad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 32
I am considering a relocation to Halifax I know the price of real estate there. It is hard however to find info on daycare, car ins, home heating, gas, groceries etc. I am coming from Gatineau quebec so I know there is a little savings in income taxes and the real estate prices are the same. Does anyone have real world examples of these other costs. Sorry for hijacking this thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:30 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I was walking by the new bridge this morning and they have resumed work. They were building up the land for the approaches.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 5:34 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdad View Post
I am considering a relocation to Halifax I know the price of real estate there. It is hard however to find info on daycare, car ins, home heating, gas, groceries etc. I am coming from Gatineau quebec so I know there is a little savings in income taxes and the real estate prices are the same. Does anyone have real world examples of these other costs. Sorry for hijacking this thread.
Gas is more expensive in Nova Scotia on average and I find that groceries are the same as in Quebec. The other items depend on what kind of home heating you have (oil, nat gas, electric) and car insurance/day care on what company or day care you choose. I would just google everything. Electricity is obviously more expensive here as we don't have the hydroelectric power that Quebec has.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 11:37 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was down on the waterfront again today, and the section that is being closed off had a sign. Apparently it will be closed off for the entire spring! The sign said closed March 17th - June 30th! That makes me think they might be doing more then just putting a new surface down.
Here are some photos I snapped today of this;




I'm seeing green. A belated Saint Patrick's Day perhaps?



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 12:57 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
A picture of the new Boy's High School at Sacred Heart. Photo taken by me today;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:00 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I was down on the waterfront again today, and the section that is being closed off had a sign. Apparently it will be closed off for the entire spring! The sign said closed March 17th - June 30th! That makes me think they might be doing more then just putting a new surface down.
Its longer than that. They're are re-closing it after the Buskers. See two posts above for photos.

Halifax Waterfront Project Generates Jobs
Tourism, Culture and HeritageMarch 19, 2009 9:13 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An important visitor attraction will generate additional economic activity as a repair and maintenance project worth more than $1 million begins at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

Waterworks Construction Limited has started work on the wharf and boardwalk behind the museum on a project that will take about five months to complete.

"The provincial government has committed to stimulating job growth and economic investment in its Building for Growth plan," said Bill Dooks, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Heritage. "This project builds on that commitment by generating immediate employment and economic activity in Halifax's downtown core."

The repair and maintenance work will include:

-- removal and reconstruction of the museum's south boat shed (currently used in the summer months as a secondary gift shop)
-- replacement of the wharves' structural supports
-- complete re-decking of both the wharves and the boardwalk directly behind the museum

During this project the boardwalk and the wharves will be closed, excluding the dates of June 30 to August 16, when work will cease and the boardwalk will reopen to accommodate the 2009 Tall Ships Festival and the 2009 Buskers Festival.

Access to the boardwalk behind the museum will be closed from the waterfront visitor information centre to the end of the museum's north side.

Pedestrians will be re-routed around the building, via Lower Water Street. The museum's boardwalk gift shop will be closed, and wharf bookings will be suspended throughout the project's duration.

For more information, visit the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic website at maritime.museum.gov.ns.ca .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 3:26 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Wow! That's a long time. The boardwalk is in bad shape here, but it makes me think that Queen's Landing is just that much farther away now that they will have a nice new boardwalk in place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:58 PM
pnightingale's Avatar
pnightingale pnightingale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 64
One thing I'd really like them to do on the boardwalk is widen that bridge just before you get to the ferry terminal if you're walking north. That thing is always a bottleneck during festivals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 3:46 PM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,222
Well, the boardwalk behind the MMA is torn-up and closed to public access while they revamp it. Apparently it started this week and will be finished in FIVE MONTHS!!! That takes us out to mid-august by my math. Great timing.. Idiots.. Good Luck with Tall Ships 09...
Quote:
Wharf renovations restrict access

Renovations to museum wharfs on the Halifax waterfront mean access to the wharfs and boardwalk behind the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic will be restricted for the next few months.

Waterworks Construction Ltd. has been awarded a contract to do the construction work, the museum’s website says. The project began Wednesday and will take about five months to finish.

The website says work will include removal and reconstruction of the museum’s south boat shed (currently used in summer as a gift shop), replacement of the wharfs’ structural supports and complete re-decking of both the wharfs and the boardwalk behind the museum.

For information, contact the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic at 424-7491.
PS: Oh Ha.. I just read the article posted above by Bedford. Looks like they anticipated Buskers and TS. IMO it'll still be a massive mess..

Last edited by terrynorthend; Mar 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM. Reason: added comment
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 4:22 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Well five months might be a long time to close off the boardwalk but at least with this and the work being done at Salter Street the boardwalk will look at lot nicer come this time next year.

And I agree with "pnightingale" in that the bridge by Murphy's should be widened. I don't mind fighting the crowds elsewhere on the boardwalk but that thing gets way too crowded on summer days.

I just can't wait until Summer 2011 when all of the boardwalk upgrades will be done, the power plant will be done, Famer's will be done and hopefully Salter will be underway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:02 PM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnightingale View Post
One thing I'd really like them to do on the boardwalk is widen that bridge just before you get to the ferry terminal if you're walking north. That thing is always a bottleneck during festivals.
I agree. When its crowded i always bypass it and cut thru the Bioscience parking lot, behind the Murphys building. That little bridge can barely handle 2-way traffic, and too many people stop and gab in the middle of it, or buskers and people hawking harbour cruises park their arses there. I guess the railing is too tempting a spot to lean against..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:16 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
yes and on a side not they should also clear up the little section in between the bride and the shore....it is full of rubbish...including too old tires!...covered in algae no less!!.....nothing says welcome to Nova Scotia to all the Yanks like a couple of algae covered tires....well that's my piece for the day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:38 PM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
Should actually just be filled in, no need for a bridge then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 7:46 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Should actually just be filled in, no need for a bridge then.
I think the bridge idea should be kept but defenitely widened.

One thing the Waterfront is missing is a small beach of sorts. They could easily turn this little enclosure area into a small beach thing for children and assuming the treatment plants comes back online you could even touch the water! And with it being enclosed it would be warmer than the Harbour water.

Just an idea though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 8:25 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I think the bridge idea should be kept but defenitely widened.

One thing the Waterfront is missing is a small beach of sorts. They could easily turn this little enclosure area into a small beach thing for children and assuming the treatment plants comes back online you could even touch the water! And with it being enclosed it would be warmer than the Harbour water.

Just an idea though.
that's a very good idea man, and yes I like the bridge too, but your right it needs to be widened
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 9:09 PM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
Just the idea of swimming in that little area in its current state kinda makes me want to throw up...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 9:31 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,318
Instead of a water access beach, I would love to see an area set up for beach volleyball. I have seen that done in several other cities and it always seems to attract people, and has a nice "waterside" feel to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #200  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 9:46 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Instead of a water access beach, I would love to see an area set up for beach volleyball. I have seen that done in several other cities and it always seems to attract people, and has a nice "waterside" feel to it.
They could easily integrate that with my idea as well.

As far as I know the area in back is mainly a parking lot right now. When the BioSciences move to Summer Street in 2011 they could widen the bridge, make a "secondary" boardwalk on sorts creating a rectangular box around the bridge, fill in the area with sand, make a little beach near the bridge and level out the rest for a volleyball court.

I really like that volleyball idea. They could hold a city-wide tournament sometime in August, maybe around the Buskers time?

Best of all a little beach and volleyball court wouldn't take up much area and could easilt be incorporated into the Queen's Landing proposal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.