HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #641  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 10:33 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
March 16, 2009

Here's a picture of the completed residential building at Agricola and Noth. Photo taken by me;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #642  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 12:29 AM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Here's a picture of the completed residential building at Agricola and Noth. Photo taken by me;

I didn't think it was possible to build a cheaper uglier building than the sewage treatment plant but this building is it. It is a total disgrace and should have the facade completely rebuilt.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #643  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 12:42 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I didn't think it was possible to build a cheaper uglier building than the sewage treatment plant but this building is it. It is a total disgrace and should have the facade completely rebuilt.
Well, it has the much-vaunted "affordable housing" component to it so I suppose that means cheesy design is a given.

I should start a pool on how long it will take for the paint to start peeling from those fiberboard panels.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #644  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 1:40 AM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, it has the much-vaunted "affordable housing" component to it so I suppose that means cheesy design is a given.

I should start a pool on how long it will take for the paint to start peeling from those fiberboard panels.
Interesting. I took a closeup look at Spice today, and noticed the same fibreboard panels.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #645  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 1:49 AM
dartmouthian's Avatar
dartmouthian dartmouthian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
the panels aren't that great, but at least it's better than what would probably otherwise be in its place, vinyl siding.
__________________
practice safe urban planning. use a condominium.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #646  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 2:21 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
Well, even the colour is inappropriate. It's really too bad. The scale and massing are decent.

I guess it's important to think of the "big picture" for the area, which is very positive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #647  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 1:12 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Perhaps we should start a Positive & Negative development thread/list? Maybe the negative feedback will make it back to the developer and they will improve their next building.

Positive Dev: 1.Martello 2.Trillium 3.Time & Space building 4. Tex-Park etc.

Negative Dev: 1. Sewage Treatment Plant 2. North & Agricola 3.Quinpool Centre. 4. Fort Massey Apts. 5. Churchill Apts. etc.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #648  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:18 AM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,574
I dunno, it's subjective - I don't mind the Fort Massey apartments at all. Quinpool Centre adds density to the street, the retail is a major draw, and it could've been much worse: at least the retail was configured to block the parking lot and maintain a streetwall, unlike so many other strip malls built around that time.

As an aside...I remember reading somewhere about the original proposal for that site. Two 32-story apartment towers, a 19 storey office block, and a couple smaller bits. Not surprisingly the plan was revised following local backlash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #649  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 12:00 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
As an aside...I remember reading somewhere about the original proposal for that site. Two 32-story apartment towers, a 19 storey office block, and a couple smaller bits.
Oh thank god that was shot down. A walkable, dense urban project would have been terrible for that street. Just terrible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #650  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 12:08 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I dunno, it's subjective - I don't mind the Fort Massey apartments at all. Quinpool Centre adds density to the street, the retail is a major draw, and it could've been much worse: at least the retail was configured to block the parking lot and maintain a streetwall, unlike so many other strip malls built around that time.

As an aside...I remember reading somewhere about the original proposal for that site. Two 32-story apartment towers, a 19 storey office block, and a couple smaller bits. Not surprisingly the plan was revised following local backlash.
It is subjective but there are buildings whrere it is obvious that the developer/architect has put notning extra into the building beyond keeping the rain out. Fort Massey is one of those buildings, square box with concrete exterior walls. Add Purdy's and the waterfront Marriott to the good list and the new addition to the Convent of the Sacred Heart to the thumbs down list. Those towers on Quinpool could have advanced the progress of the Quinpool strip by about 20 years.
__________________
Salty Town

Last edited by Empire; Mar 20, 2009 at 1:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #651  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 12:11 AM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,574
Fort Massey might be older, but I do think it's attractive. The windows on the top floor cap it off nicely, it has a little plaza out front, and solar panels! I don't mind concrete as an exterior cladding at all. I'm actually not a huge fan of the Harbourfront Marriott - it's sprawling, bland (IMO), and acts as a huge northern wall to the boardwalk. Even if the boardwalk does continue past it, the hotel contributes nothing - if I remember correctly, it's simply a concrete wall lined with benches and lamps. To me, it marks the point where the waterfront boardwalk gets a bit uninteresting.

I agree with you on Purdy's. I don't mind the Sacred Heart addition, it looks handsome enough for its purpose (nice and simple) and I don't know that we would've seen anything terribly interesting built there otherwise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #652  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:37 AM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post

I don't mind the Sacred Heart addition, it looks handsome enough for its purpose (nice and simple) and I don't know that we would've seen anything terribly interesting built there otherwise.
This is the new addition to the National Ballet School in Toronto. Big difference and the Sacred Heart site deserves more.

__________________
Salty Town

Last edited by Empire; Mar 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #653  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 3:28 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
It would have been amazing if we could have gotten an addition onto Sacred Heart of that caliber!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #654  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 3:25 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Here's a picture of the completed residential building at Agricola and Noth. Photo taken by me;

Accoridng to the Coast a new restaurant by the name of Caf Aroma Latino & Italian Gourmet will be opening up in the ground floor of this building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #655  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 9:32 PM
J.M.'s Avatar
J.M. J.M. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 174
I remember seeing on CTV a proposal for a New WTC, does anyone know of it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #656  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 11:05 PM
Phalanx Phalanx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
I remember seeing on CTV a proposal for a New WTC, does anyone know of it?
See here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=148136
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #657  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 11:06 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
I remember seeing on CTV a proposal for a New WTC, does anyone know of it?
I assume you mean the new (world trade) convention centre?

There are no renderings available to the public right now but any information we have is in the "New Convention Centre" thread.

Damn you beat me this time Phlanx
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #658  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 11:53 PM
J.M.'s Avatar
J.M. J.M. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I assume you mean the new (world trade) convention centre?

There are no renderings available to the public right now but any information we have is in the "New Convention Centre" thread.

Damn you beat me this time Phlanx
Thanks, should be an exciting project, oh and thanks to Phalanx (quoted the wrong person)

Last edited by J.M.; Apr 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: wrong quote, thanking another human being for directing me to the proper page
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #659  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 2:48 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I went for a lovely walk on the Bedford waterfront the other evening. It was actually the first time I'd ever been down there on foot. Quite nice...in some respects. I noticed they were doing a lot of infilling and a sign was up saying a development application was in for the site on the other side of Mill Cove. Does anyone know what this is for?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #660  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 3:01 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I went for a lovely walk on the Bedford waterfront the other evening. It was actually the first time I'd ever been down there on foot. Quite nice...in some respects. I noticed they were doing a lot of infilling and a sign was up saying a development application was in for the site on the other side of Mill Cove. Does anyone know what this is for?
I don't know exactly what one you are talking about since there's a lot of signs here in Bedford but well;

- The infilling itself is being done by the WDCL so they wouldn't require a sign,

- There's the Dockside development on one side of Mill Cove right next to the Provident Building. I don't know if the development sign is still up but theres a Sales Centre and marina in front of it,

- There's a lot for sale on the Bedford Highway right across the train tracks from the infilling. I think there was another sign up with it but I'm not very familiar with this one,

- And there's Southgate Village also on the Bedford Highway. It had a sign up last time I checked.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.