HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2001  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 4:12 AM
manny_santos's Avatar
manny_santos manny_santos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Westminster
Posts: 5,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Pizza 🞵🞵🞵🞵 is the shittiest. Goo (mozza filled crust) and gop (toppings).
Pizza Pizza: never eat the "by the slice" unless it is right at lunchtime. Your slice might have been fresh back when Abe Lincoln was President.
Dominoes: too much sauce, not enough cheese. burnt.

Personally, I like the "independents" for pizza. I especially miss Piazza Romana in Pointe Claire Village (Quebec), and for pizza by-the-slice, gotta go with Al Taib (Montreal, at Guy and de Maisonneuve). Here in London, I am partial to "Flying Tomato" and "Byron Pizza".
Not to get too far off topic, but the best place in London is Cousin Vinny's. $2.15 + tax for a jumbo slice of pizza on Tuesdays. I was just there tonight at 11 PM, and it was freshly made. The owner is a great guy, and I used to work with their delivery guy. Stobie's is also great, but a little more expensive.

You can't be more right about Pizza Pizza. The independent side isn't always great though. Angelo's in London, like Pizza Pizza, is best at lunchtime. At dinnertime I have seen pizza that has been sitting out for years and is hard enough to cut wood with.
     
     
  #2002  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 12:45 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
^hehe. Yeah, you need a mitre saw to work your way through PizzaPizza slices outside of lunchtime.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #2003  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 2:15 PM
highdensitysprawl's Avatar
highdensitysprawl highdensitysprawl is offline
Highrise
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Where is this "Roi de la Bière", and why have I not heard of it??

I agree, Boreale is the Bee's knees. I can pick up a six pack for 7.39 at my local dep. Can't beat that price.

I actually have a good friend who works for Boreale.. he got me two kegs of beer for my wedding for free. I am forever indebted to him.
Le Roi de la Biere is on the street that you turn north on once you hit the marina etc on rue Principale. It is on the left at a corner maybe 300 m north of the marina. It is technically a 'dep'.

Speaking of beer in Aylmer, is that restaurant between the 'British' and the marina any good for beer...can't remember the name of it but it is in an old house and near that place that peelers go to retire.
     
     
  #2004  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 6:15 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,446
^ not sure which resto you're referring to... Ambrosia?
     
     
  #2005  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 6:35 PM
highdensitysprawl's Avatar
highdensitysprawl highdensitysprawl is offline
Highrise
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
^ not sure which resto you're referring to... Ambrosia?

No, not the Ambrosia...I'm talking about this place.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=394

I trust that you used the word 'resto' to get my blood boiling...that and the words 'mains' 'appies' 'cappo' are some of the words in the english language that get my blood pressure up...a certain SSP poster uses them very often and I get a very pretentious vibe from them. You don't give me a pretentious vibe
     
     
  #2006  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:00 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdensitysprawl View Post
No, not the Ambrosia...I'm talking about this place.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp?PlaceID=394

I trust that you used the word 'resto' to get my blood boiling...that and the words 'mains' 'appies' 'cappo' are some of the words in the english language that get my blood pressure up...a certain SSP poster uses them very often and I get a very pretentious vibe from them. You don't give me a pretentious vibe
I think this is the place that in its advertising boasts of having the widest selection of different beers of any bar in Quebec.

Now, “resto” is a very common term for restaurant in French (likely how harls picked it up), but what do mains, appies and cappo mean?
     
     
  #2007  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:15 PM
highdensitysprawl's Avatar
highdensitysprawl highdensitysprawl is offline
Highrise
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think this is the place that in its advertising boasts of having the widest selection of different beers of any bar in Quebec.

Now, “resto” is a very common term for restaurant in French (likely how harls picked it up), but what do mains, appies and cappo mean?
Sorry for any misunderstanding but the 4 terms I listed really get on my nerves.

Mains = Main course
Appies = Appetizers
Cappo= frothy coffee

If they have the widest selection, I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Aylmer.....hopefully, they have some nice cask conditioned ales.
     
     
  #2008  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:18 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdensitysprawl View Post
Sorry for any misunderstanding but the 4 terms I listed really get on my nerves.

Mains = Main course
Appies = Appetizers
Cappo= frothy coffee

If they have the widest selection, I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Aylmer.....hopefully, they have some nice cask conditioned ales.
Thanks for the info. Now I’ll know how to sound cool if I venture into an anglo hispter haunt on the Ottawa side!
     
     
  #2009  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:26 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,446
Haha... didn't mean to come of all pretentious Acajack's right, I just picked that up from living in Quebec for so long.

I have seen this L'autre Oeil place, but never tried it. I hear it's good from my non-snooty friends.
     
     
  #2010  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 7:44 PM
highdensitysprawl's Avatar
highdensitysprawl highdensitysprawl is offline
Highrise
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Haha... didn't mean to come of all pretentious Acajack's right, I just picked that up from living in Quebec for so long.

I have seen this L'autre Oeil place, but never tried it. I hear it's good from my non-snooty friends.
Glad to hear that we are all on the same non-snooty page. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this L'autre Oeil place seems to be on the few 'pub' style places in the Outaouais (or at least what an anglo perceives a pub to be) ...aside from that place in Chelsea near the entrance to the Gatineau Park
     
     
  #2011  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 8:28 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdensitysprawl View Post
Glad to hear that we are all on the same non-snooty page. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this L'autre Oeil place seems to be on the few 'pub' style places in the Outaouais (or at least what an anglo perceives a pub to be) ...aside from that place in Chelsea near the entrance to the Gatineau Park
Not too much in the way of Royal Oak/Barley Mow-type places it is true. Most places to go for a drink in Gatineau would be best described as café-style bars. Although the traditional French names café/bistro/brasserie are now meaningless and often indistinguishable from one another in Quebec.

Same with many “pubs” in Ontario I suppose, the menus of which have little to do with traditional pub fare like meat pies, etc.
     
     
  #2012  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 8:39 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I wouldn't eat a meat pie at a pub. Lord knows what in the thing...
     
     
  #2013  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 12:58 AM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I wouldn't eat a meat pie at a pub. Lord knows what in the thing...
You've never even been in a pub.
     
     
  #2014  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 1:12 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,124
lol
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #2015  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 1:19 AM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I wouldn't eat a meat pie at a pub. Lord knows what in the thing...
Which pub was that?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #2016  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 1:53 AM
waterloowarrior's Avatar
waterloowarrior waterloowarrior is offline
National Capital Region
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 9,255
today at the Sens game




Stars shine at Sens game


THE OTTAWA CITIZENMARCH 11, 2009 9:07 PMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

OTTAWA-Senators fans are basking in the celebrity spotlight tonight as singers Carrie Underwood and Hilary Duff have been spotted among the rest of the Sens Army at Scotiabank Place, where the Senators are hosting the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Duff, a multi-platinum selling pop singer and actress, has been romantically linked to newly acquired Sens forward Mike Comrie, and Underwood — a Grammy Award winning country singer and former American Idol champ — is reportedly dating Mike Fisher.

Stay tuned for our story on the game’s outcome.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Mar 12, 2009 at 2:46 AM.
     
     
  #2017  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 2:17 AM
mr.John mr.John is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,021
Seen at the last Canadien's game chearing for the Kostitsyn brothers

     
     
  #2018  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 2:34 AM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,721
^muh hahahah!
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
     
     
  #2019  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 3:29 AM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
ROMMHEIM MEMO - - - - March 11, 2009

Good evening,

To those 'Canadians' who'd like to be or just pretend to be Americans because of Barack Obama's presidency, go 🞵🞵🞵🞵 yourselves.


Thank you.
     
     
  #2020  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 2:38 PM
circle33's Avatar
circle33 circle33 is offline
Has been
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 4,939
I have both Fisher and Comrie as late round picks in my pool. While they haven't been producing points at all (52 between them both, 3 more than the illustrious Nik Antropov has on his own), there's probably a pun about scoring in there somewhere.
__________________
signature
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:08 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.