HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion


View Poll Results: Are you planning to attend 2010 events?
Yes 108 62.07%
No 66 37.93%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 1:42 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
From the Vancouver Sun Feb 28th - anyone know where this is located exactly?


Workers lift the first of five giant Olympic rings into place at Vancouver International Airport on Friday.
Photograph by: Ian Lindsay, Vancouver Sun, Vancouver Sun
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 2:25 AM
zivan56 zivan56 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,207
^^ Right where the "Welcome to BC" sign is when leaving YVR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #223  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 3:56 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Thanks.
Expo legacy and Olympic legacy(?) next to each other.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 4:08 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Wow that is cool!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 5:24 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
^ omg, that is awesome! i wonder if it's coming from YVR's budget or VANOC's look of the games budget.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 7:27 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
They look to be done now


http://www.flickr.com/photos/41645839@N00/3320021443/ < EuroNorb

I wonder if they light up at night in the real colors!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 7:32 AM
raggedy13's Avatar
raggedy13 raggedy13 is offline
Dérive-r
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,450
^Awesome, thanks Yume-sama. I'm sure they'll light up and look great at night. I'd love to see a few more of those around the city, especially somewhere visible from downtown. It would be great to have a little extra night lighting to look at for the next year at least.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 7:51 AM
mooks28 mooks28 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
^Awesome, thanks Yume-sama. I'm sure they'll light up and look great at night. I'd love to see a few more of those around the city, especially somewhere visible from downtown. It would be great to have a little extra night lighting to look at for the next year at least.
Whatever happened to hanging them off of the Burrard and Lion's Gate bridges?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #229  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 8:26 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooks28 View Post
Whatever happened to hanging them off of the Burrard and Lion's Gate bridges?
Well, it's still a bit early. :p I would think you'd see them hanging off the Burrard Street Bridge and Lions Gate Bridge.



If you look carefully at the picture, the Olympic rings at the airport are edged with what appears to be lights....so they definitely do light up at night.

It also appears that the rings are held up together by tension cables.....I could so see some crazy protester going near it with clippers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 8:28 AM
raggedy13's Avatar
raggedy13 raggedy13 is offline
Dérive-r
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,450
^In that case I'd hope it becomes unstable and falls on them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #231  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:12 AM
djun djun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 78
Looks wonderful. I'm sure there will be other Olympic related landmarks scattered across the city.

On a side note, how was your training/orientation X2? I'm not sure if I saw you or not (I was checking people in...).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #232  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:15 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by djun View Post
Looks wonderful. I'm sure there will be other Olympic related landmarks scattered across the city.

On a side note, how was your training/orientation X2? I'm not sure if I saw you or not (I was checking people in...).
I was actually in a car accident on the way there, a guy on a cell rear ended me....didn't make it to the orientation unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #233  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:20 AM
djun djun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
I was actually in a car accident on the way there, a guy on a cell rear ended me....didn't make it to the orientation unfortunately.
That's very unfortunate! I hope you're okay as with your car. I think someone will be in contact with you to make rearrangements, but I think you can contact the Volunteer Information Centre (I forget the phone number, it's on the 2010 site somewhere) and mention your unfortunate circumstances (I'm not sure if they're able to make the changes, but you can always try).

Do you recall if you were coming in for the 1pm session?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #234  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 10:27 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Yea, I signed up for the 1pm session.

Left home at around 12.30ish, got hit from the behind a few blocks away, had to deal with the whole insurance/photo evidence/argument 🞵🞵🞵🞵 for 30 minutes, drove back home, felt crappy, and decided not to go....and transit would also have taken more than an hour from UBC, by the time I get there more than half of it would be over.

I'm planning on calling them tmrw to hopefully sign up for another session. argh.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #235  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 4:57 PM
Kodii Kodii is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 341
The Volunteer Center is 1-866-925-8657

It's on my cell phone... I pestered them
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #236  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 6:32 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,124
When will they outlaw using a mobile and driving at the same time? Even if 50% of people obeyed it, you'd see a reduction in accidents.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #237  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 1:00 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
argh....got home late, office is closed.



Quote:
More than 6,000 signs to help direct Olympic visitors


By Damian Inwood, The Province
March 2, 2009 4:02 PM


More than 6,000 temporary street and transit signs will be put up to help people find their way to the 2010 Olympics.

The signs will include Vancouver 2010 transportation operations at depots, compounds and park-and-rides, TransLink and B.C. Transit routes, municipalities around Greater Vancouver and the Sea-to-Sky corridor and celebration zones.

According to a tender document, TransLink will need between 3,378 and 3,598 signs, Vancouver will need 1,030 signs, Richmond will need between 706 and 997 signs, Vancouver 2010 will need 475 signs, West Vancouver will need 250 signs, the B.C. Ministry of Transport will need 69 signs and the University of B.C. will need 67 signs.

The number of signs needed in Whistler is still to be determined.

The signs need to have "visual uniformity" and integrate Vancouver 2010's "look of the Games."

They will be installed between Aug. 1 this year and Jan. 31, 2010.

The request-for-proposals document lists competition venues in Vancouver, Whistler, West Vancouver and Richmond.

It also lists non-competition venues, including four official hotels, Vancouver International Airport, B.C. Place Stadium, the Main Press Centre at Canada Place and the Olympic Villages at False Creek and in Whistler, celebration sites and three Vancouver practice rinks.

[email protected]
© Copyright © The Province
http://www.theprovince.com/More+than+signs+help+direct+Olympic+visitors/1345786/story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #238  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:59 PM
Delirium's Avatar
Delirium Delirium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,227
here's a pic showing the completed olympic rings at the airport (with lighting)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thephotowalla/3327075015/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #239  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:47 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
^ in another forum, there's this member that keeps insisting these rings are the same ones from Torino.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #240  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 6:54 PM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Can I guess who the member is?

They do look similar
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.