HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #901  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:05 PM
agrant's Avatar
agrant agrant is offline
Cheers!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Wow, 4 turf fields within a 5 minute walk of each other. Plus a possible 5th in SEFC west of the Olympic Village? Are that many really needed? (serious question). I had hoped this land could have been used as a medical office/reseach buildings.
I thought the medical buildings were going to go on the west side of this space, closer to Main.
     
     
  #902  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:14 PM
sacrifice333 sacrifice333 is offline
Vancouver User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,460
Not to mention the fact that grass isn't nearly as ecologically friendly as people think it is...
     
     
  #903  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:52 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Yeah I know Strathcona is regular grass, but 4 (or 5 with the Olympic Village) turf fields, plus the regular grass one, is a lot of sports fields in one area. That's all I was saying.

I wasn't aware there were going to be medical office buildings west of this space. If that is the case, then fantastic. I was under the impression that the hospital itself would take up pretty much all of the land west of this space.
     
     
  #904  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:15 PM
Jacques Jacques is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 430
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Work will start shortly on updating Pigeon Park, apparently there is talk of renaming it back to it's original name of Pioneer Place as well. Not too much is being done as they only have $187,000 left in the International village park fund but it will get a facelight. Work will be done shortly as they will do it at the same time they are working on the Carrell St Greenway on that block.

The proposal to build a canopy in the park is no longer being pursued. It was not widely supported by the public, and a majority of City staff working in theDowntown Eastside were not supportive of building a canopy in Pigeon Park
The proposed overhead grid lighting system has also been dropped because its installation requires a portion of the grid to be affixed to the ‘Merchants Bank’ building immediately adjacent to the park, and the timing of the renovation of this heritage building is uncertain. The location of the proposed public toilet has been shifted from the sidewalk on Hastings Street to the edge of Pigeon Park because the detailed analysis has revealed that the sidewalk is not wide enough to accommodate the toilet.

That is hilarious, they have only 187,000.00 dollars left in the coffer, I remember how they totally went over budget and timeline when they created the portion between" Pacific blvd and Pender ", reason being that Chinatown once again was crying how they never get anything. man it took a year, now what is the results for that area is leftovers plus cuts, come on, why don't they just fence the park inject huge flood lights that blinds everyone in sight and then call it a day, I reside in Gastown and I knew way back that from Hasting street going North we'd get the short end of the stick, well maybe its time I apply for one of those condo in false creek south and let the neighbourhood fall into the abyss.
BTW why one earth do they insist on installing a public toilet, FYI the one on Main&Powell and at Richard&Davie have never worked once, every time
I needed to use one of those wasted money pit, it was other out of order or busy, rather be safe and buy a coffee at Blenz and hope their toilets is cleaner. we all know these toilets are simply going to become a shooting heaven when it gets cold!
my two cents worth

Last edited by Jacques; Feb 25, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: adding comment
     
     
  #905  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:00 PM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
FYI the toilets are paid for by lamar who gets to advertise on them in exchange. Isnt there some small usage fee? That should dramatically reduce nefarious use.
     
     
  #906  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:54 PM
agrant's Avatar
agrant agrant is offline
Cheers!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,869
Better that they shoot up in there than in a place like Blenz. They could always install one of those black lights, so they can't see their veins. I've seen it done in the washroom of the Whalley Safeway, and in other places.
     
     
  #907  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:57 PM
agrant's Avatar
agrant agrant is offline
Cheers!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
Yeah I know Strathcona is regular grass, but 4 (or 5 with the Olympic Village) turf fields, plus the regular grass one, is a lot of sports fields in one area. That's all I was saying.
Olympic Village is getting one? Cool. 4 is nothing. Burnaby Lake has like 12.
     
     
  #908  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:01 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
Olympic Village is getting one? Cool. 4 is nothing. Burnaby Lake has like 12.
You're right, 4 is nothing... though I think Burnaby only has 5 or 6 turf fields, but it's been a couple years since I've lived there. I actually worked for Parks & Rec there, and they couldn't even come close to meeting demand. They're open almost every day, year round, whereas the grass fields are shut down for a lot of the winter. I think Vancouver could do a lot better providing turf fields around the City.

Also, sorry if this is posted somewhere: I remember seeing Livingstone looking really torn up last time I went by - does anyone know if they're replacing it with Sprint-turf (or if this has already happened)? Or are they keeping that spongey matting-type surface that's been on there for years...
     
     
  #909  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:02 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
You're right, 4 is nothing... though I think Burnaby only has 5 or 6 turf fields, but it's been a couple years since I've lived there. I actually worked for Parks & Rec there, and they couldn't even come close to meeting demand. They're open almost every day, year round, whereas the grass fields are shut down for a lot of the winter. I think Vancouver could do a lot better providing turf fields around the City.
they've just added a bunch at the burnaby lake complex

that area has changed a lot since last summer even
     
     
  #910  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:01 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Fieldturf or whatever product they end up using provided 5times the playtime of regular grass so these fields will greatly enhance usablity. Not to mention these don't even exist right now. The Livingstone park ones will be reinstalled in the spring, they are leveling the field and want to ensure these ones last longer then the old one. The Trillium Park site has been preloaded with sand for a full year and is now ready to proceed.

The $187,000 for Pigeon Park has nothing to do with the work on the Carrall St Greenway work done in Chinatown so far. The money is from DCLs paid out by Henderson to develop International village, most of the money went int Livingstone Park, Pigeon Park doesn't even fall under the International Village borders so the fact they are using that money at all on Pigeon Park is actually a bonus.
     
     
  #911  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 5:39 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Figured I'd post some pics of Trout lake community centre, it has received a new ice rink which will be an Olympic practice rink. The rest of the community centre will be updated post 2010. While it's no Richmond oval, the wood work is pretty impressive.

Back in Aug/08





Now what it looked like in Jan/09











Source http://vancouver.ca/parks/info/2010olympics/troutlake.htm
     
     
  #912  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 6:26 AM
nova9 nova9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
Everytime I walk past that I have to stop, I like how we're really beginning to see a consistency between all the new buildings built for 2010. What a wonderful legacy left in my hood..all thanks to 2010. — on that protestors!

Thanks for the pics jlousa!
     
     
  #913  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 6:47 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Thanks for the pics.
Saw it from the SkyTrain a couple of weeks ago - looks great!
     
     
  #914  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 11:17 PM
Jared's Avatar
Jared Jared is offline
senior something
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,051
Looks good. I can't wait to try out the new ice once it's finished. The rest of the community centre will be replaced in the coming years too, it seems (as per bond questions in 2008 elections)

What's Killarney rink looking like these days?
     
     
  #915  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 1:41 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,758
What building were those pictures taken from, jlousa? The view of downtown is sick.
     
     
  #916  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 1:47 AM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,166
I don't think there is anything that tall in the area, looks like it was taken out of a plane would be my guess.
     
     
  #917  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 2:05 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Helicopter actually. But if you stand at the western edge of the Nanaimo station you get the same view for free.
     
     
  #918  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 2:10 AM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
This is the Killarney construction gallery from the parks website. The pics aren't as dramatic as the Trout Lake ones but they're of interest. Of note are the windows and also the continuation of the wooden arch theme in the lobby.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/info/2010olympics/killarney_photos.htm
     
     
  #919  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 2:36 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
That venue is gorgeous.....wow. thx for sharing.
     
     
  #920  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 3:01 AM
metroXpress's Avatar
metroXpress metroXpress is offline
(||||||-||||-||||||)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 2,220
^ Indeed. Thanks for the wonderful pics jlousa!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.