HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #741  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 7:39 PM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 7,775
I was just watching a video news brief on the KGO website and they said that BART is considering reducing evening & weekend service levels in order to cut costs. During the periods in which trains currently run every 15 minutes, the wait times will now be 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #742  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 8:46 PM
rs913's Avatar
rs913 rs913 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I was just watching a video news brief on the KGO website and they said that BART is considering reducing evening & weekend service levels in order to cut costs. During the periods in which trains currently run every 15 minutes, the wait times will now be 20 minutes.
Didn't they just expand service a year or two ago, reducing the 20-minute intervals to 15 minutes during those times? If so, they'd basically rolling back that change.

I personally didn't think it was a huge deal when they reduced the waits to 15 - even at that interval, most people would try to time their station arrival to the train rather than just showing up and waiting for one (as people do with the NYC subway).

It's only when you're doing something like coming from one of the airports or from somewhere far from a station that you can't "time" it and risk getting stuck with the 20-minute wait.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #743  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 11:16 PM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 7,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs913 View Post
Didn't they just expand service a year or two ago, reducing the 20-minute intervals to 15 minutes during those times? If so, they'd basically rolling back that change.
Yup, KGO had mentioned during the video report that BART had just expanded the service to the 15 minute intervals a year ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #744  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 3:58 AM
quashlo quashlo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 566
I remember when they first announced those "improvements" and thinking to myself, "They'll just be rolling them back in a year or two." I must be psychic or something... The way they advertised it was ridiculous, too... They said they were doubling the frequency to/from the Peninsula stations by bringing another line down there, but if you pay any attention to the service patterns, the two trains come one after another, so the benefit is minimal.

Personally, I prefer the 15-minute headways over the 20-minute headways... Even though I still have to "time" when I should leave work to make it before my train, it gives me more options.

Seriously though, I think they need to get creative over there at BART... Every time they're in the red, they seem to immediately think service cut. They run 9- and 10-car Pittsburg trains well into the night when they're mostly empty... Huge waste of money in powering the cars and the extra wear/tear and maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if they could use shorter trains and keep (or improve) the frequency as is, without increasing O+M costs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #745  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:20 AM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 7,775
I posted a link to this video a couple years ago, but I thought some of the newer people might not have seen it yet. It's a 12+ minute video from 1968 regarding the progress of the BART construction. I think it's interesting.

Along the Way
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #746  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:28 AM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 7,775
And here's another video from 1967 that's 13+ minutes in length. Again interesting to watch.

Three to Get Ready: A Progress Report from BART
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #747  
Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 5:32 AM
Gordo's Avatar
Gordo Gordo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA/San Francisco, CA/Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Seriously though, I think they need to get creative over there at BART... Every time they're in the red, they seem to immediately think service cut. They run 9- and 10-car Pittsburg trains well into the night when they're mostly empty... Huge waste of money in powering the cars and the extra wear/tear and maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if they could use shorter trains and keep (or improve) the frequency as is, without increasing O+M costs.
I know that it seems like it must be costing a bunch extra to run those extra emtpy cars, but the logistics and extra manpower involved in getting those trains off the tracks, shortening the train, and putting it back into service probably cost more than they would save by just running that train through the end of the shift.

I can't seem to find a good pdf of the BART budget, but from what I remember, labor constitutes the overwhelming majority of operational costs, with power costs being almost inconsequential. Now, perhaps they could save some on maintenance labor costs and a little bit on wear and tear, but probably not enough to make a real difference. Real wear and tear costs (replacement vehicles) really isn't factor in BART budgets, because the money for those is likely to come from a different place than the typical annual budget (some type of supplemental).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #748  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 8:10 AM
jamesinclair jamesinclair is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I know that it seems like it must be costing a bunch extra to run those extra emtpy cars, but the logistics and extra manpower involved in getting those trains off the tracks, shortening the train, and putting it back into service probably cost more than they would save by just running that train through the end of the shift.

I can't seem to find a good pdf of the BART budget, but from what I remember, labor constitutes the overwhelming majority of operational costs, with power costs being almost inconsequential. Now, perhaps they could save some on maintenance labor costs and a little bit on wear and tear, but probably not enough to make a real difference. Real wear and tear costs (replacement vehicles) really isn't factor in BART budgets, because the money for those is likely to come from a different place than the typical annual budget (some type of supplemental).
Thats exactly right. The labor and time to separate and then join trains every day would cost more than any savings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #749  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:17 AM
quashlo quashlo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 566
I'm not entirely convinced of that... It's been done on other systems and has been proposed for BART before, so it's nothing new, but of course I don't work there, so I don't know. All I know is that at some point in the evening they switch the train length on Pittsburg/Bay Point trains from 9- and 10-car trains to 5-car trains... I am suggesting just rescheduling those 5-car trains to enter service earlier.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #750  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:23 AM
Gordo's Avatar
Gordo Gordo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA/San Francisco, CA/Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
I'm not entirely convinced of that... It's been done on other systems and has been proposed for BART before, so it's nothing new, but of course I don't work there, so I don't know. All I know is that at some point in the evening they switch the train length on Pittsburg/Bay Point trains from 9- and 10-car trains to 5-car trains... I am suggesting just rescheduling those 5-car trains to enter service earlier.
If it could mesh with scheduled shift changes, it could work, but if you have to mess with labor at all it probably would cost more than it would save.

It sure would be nice to convert BART to automated trains like Vancouver's Skytrain...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #751  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 4:32 PM
peanut gallery's Avatar
peanut gallery peanut gallery is offline
Only Mostly Dead
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marin
Posts: 5,234
It could be worse than a 5-minute increase between trains. From today's Chronicle:

Quote:
BART may raise fares, reduce service
Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, January 9, 2009


BART may be forced to raise fares and parking fees, close some stations on weekends, reduce the frequency of service and lay off employees to help close a projected $37 million budget deficit this year, agency officials said Thursday.

"Everything's on the table," said BART spokesman Linton Johnson.

The dramatic cost-cutting measures come as the regional transit agency is faced with lower-than-expected revenue from fares and taxes and anticipated state funding cuts.

The BART Board of Directors was to be presented with various budget-balancing options by the staff on Thursday, but delayed the review to hold a public hearing on the New Year's Day fatal shooting of an unarmed man by a BART police officer. The budget issue will be addressed at a future meeting, when more details will be provided.

The projected shortfall for the next fiscal year, which starts July 1, also is grim. Officials forecast a deficit from $45 million to $55 million in the next budget cycle.
Comments at sfgate mention the high wages at BART. If they are indeed the highest transit wages in the country, I think it's reasonable to discuss cuts there as well.
__________________
My other car is a Dakota Creek Advanced Multihull Design.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #752  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:07 PM
rs913's Avatar
rs913 rs913 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
It could be worse than a 5-minute increase between trains. From today's Chronicle:



Comments at sfgate mention the high wages at BART. If they are indeed the highest transit wages in the country, I think it's reasonable to discuss cuts there as well.

This is one of those rare times I wonder if the commenters are right: could BART's union-mandated high wages force it into a death spiral? They'll have to make cuts elsewhere, which will force more people into their cars, reduce ridership and revenues, and continue the cycle even further until BART goes bankrupt.

Is this realistic?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #753  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:53 PM
Gordo's Avatar
Gordo Gordo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA/San Francisco, CA/Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Comments at sfgate mention the high wages at BART. If they are indeed the highest transit wages in the country, I think it's reasonable to discuss cuts there as well.
They won't be able to discuss cuts to the union contract unless the agency goes into bankruptcy or brings in the governor or something. The current contract mandates that BART wages be no lower than the 2nd highest in the country. (but I believe that they are currently the highest) Regardless, the contract can't be renegotiated without outside involvement (governor or Feds intervening or bankruptcy by BART).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #754  
Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 11:40 PM
Reminiscence's Avatar
Reminiscence Reminiscence is offline
Green Berniecrat
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond/Eureka, CA
Posts: 1,689
What do they mean "may" increase fares? Isn't it only a matter of time before they do it anyways? This whole budget crisis just gives them another excuse, sigh.
__________________
Reject the lesser evil and fight for the greater good like our lives depend on it, because they do!
-- Dr. Jill Stein, 2016 Green Party Presidential Candidate
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #755  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 9:09 AM
CHapp CHapp is offline
mumble
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Enviable
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
What do they mean "may" increase fares?
Why be so vague about it? Everyone knows it'll happen.

Disgusting doubletalk.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #756  
Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 9:19 AM
CHapp CHapp is offline
mumble
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Enviable
Posts: 578
Yes! And once we quit worrying about those empty trains around Pittsburg we might as well expand that vision to the next segment and include Antioch.

It'll be a while before the funding for that BART extension comes through, but we might as well start getting used to it.

Last edited by CHapp; Jan 10, 2009 at 9:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #757  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 4:47 AM
Smiley Person's Avatar
Smiley Person Smiley Person is offline
of the bay area
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Berkeley
Posts: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
They won't be able to discuss cuts to the union contract unless the agency goes into bankruptcy or brings in the governor or something. The current contract mandates that BART wages be no lower than the 2nd highest in the country. (but I believe that they are currently the highest) Regardless, the contract can't be renegotiated without outside involvement (governor or Feds intervening or bankruptcy by BART).
If a couple other unions add a similar clause, things could really get out of hand...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #758  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:23 PM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 3,616
Lightbulb

SMART recently updated their web site, including a timeline of what must be accomplished to build and start their commuter rail project.

http://www.sonomamarintrain.org/index.php/plan/
http://www.sonomamarintrain.org/userfiles/file/BoardPresentation012109.pdf

This year, amongst the priority items they will be selecting this year is which DMU train to use.

http://www.sonomamarintrain.org/userfiles/file/SMART-14JAN09_Revised.pdf

They also must decide whether to buy and use non-FRA compliant (light) or compliant (heavy) DMUs. They have found five different manufactures for both light and heavy DMUs. It'll be interesting to see what they choose.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #759  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:30 PM
Gordo's Avatar
Gordo Gordo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle, WA/San Francisco, CA/Jackson Hole, WY
Posts: 4,256
I really hope they choose non-FRA compliant vehicles. Much more fuel-efficient and modern. Actually, what I'd rather see is a complete redo of FRA regs, but whatever.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #760  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 4:38 AM
northbay's Avatar
northbay northbay is offline
Sonoma Strong
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cotati - The Hub of Sonoma County
Posts: 1,881
ive been going to the smart operations committee meetings regularly, and they are as of now leaning that way. since colorado railcar went under, it would actually be easier and cheaper to go with non-compliant vehicles. feb 11 in san rafael they will be hearing from the manufacturers
__________________
"I firmly believe, from what I have seen, that this is the chosen spot of all this Earth as far as Nature is concerned." - Luther Burbank on Sonoma County.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.