HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #841  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:11 PM
vanlaw vanlaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I wonder if Price Smart can last there long - when i went last week it was really dead - the staff outnumbered the customers - a few people were walking around looking at prices and saying we can get that st superstore cheaper and we can that cheaper etc...

and from what I have heard the Canadian tire hasn't taken off yet - only the starbucks and boston pizza seem to be getting any good business there
It's kind of an awkward location and setup for access - almost as though they are hidden in the side street. I think perhaps it will start growing once people actually realize they are even there and figure out where the parking etc is.

I would rather pay a few cents more for something at Price Smart than having to walk into SS. I dont know what it is, but I despise their stores.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #842  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:38 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
I would rather pay a few cents more for something at Price Smart than having to walk into SS. I dont know what it is, but I despise their stores.
I'm on the other side. RCSS seems to have a loyal customer base. LOL. The place is a mess, I really hope Walmart and Price Smart force them to clean up their act.

How about Pet Smart? Now we have 3 giant pet stores within a few blocks? I'm betting one of them won't make it (my bet is on the old Petcetera closing).

This is the slow part of the year for retail. I'm not sure how Canadian Tire has done so well in the last 10 years but they must know something.

Walmart will do well virtually anywhere. It's the cheapest price for a lot of things, as long as they are turning a profit on their prices, they're laughing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #843  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:46 PM
vanlaw vanlaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm on the other side. RCSS seems to have a loyal customer base. LOL. The place is a mess, I really hope Walmart and Price Smart force them to clean up their act.

How about Pet Smart? Now we have 3 giant pet stores within a few blocks? I'm betting one of them won't make it (my bet is on the old Petcetera closing).
I think it is the messiness of SS that turns me off of it - especially on a Saturday - it's like a band of savages have run wild through the place throwing random items in random places.

I would put my money on Pet Smart surviving. Pet Cetera is gross. I walked in there a few weekends ago, and apart from their constant lack of staff, and usual dim crappy lighting, there was a huge trail of dog piss on the floor. Someone had taken the time to put a yellow "slippery" sign beside it. —? Wouldn’t it take as much time to just grab the f'n mop? They didn’t have what I was looking for so I actually drove to the Byrne Rd Pet Smart - walked in, the place is clean, bright (granted it is much newer) and lots of helpful staff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #844  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:50 PM
EastVanMark EastVanMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
Vancouver City proper could take 3 or 4 walmarts to be honest....with out any problems what so ever. Downtown needs one!
Agree. Putting one somewhere in the downtown eastside would do wonders for that neighbourhood the same way it did for a formerly nasty neighbourhood in Chicago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #845  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:53 PM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
Personally I'd rather see an Ikea downtown then a Walmart, one of those new urban smaller scale Ikeas would be great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #846  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:56 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Is there a traffic light into the Canadian Tire development from Grandview? That would be the determining factor for convenient access.
RCSS and Petcetera both have access off less busy Rupert Street.
... and dare I say that their surface parking lots are more appealing to shoppers than a parkade?

BTW - does this Walmart have a full grocery selection? i.e. the sign says "Supercentre". The Walmart at Capilano only has dry goods and prepackaged/processed refridgerated and frozen items.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #847  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:48 PM
Whalleyboy's Avatar
Whalleyboy Whalleyboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
yes Walmart has a new logo........new stores are getting it......

Vancouver City proper could take 3 or 4 walmarts to be honest....with out any problems what so ever. Downtown needs one!
ya vancouver needs to catch up to surrey for walmarts=P

just so kids from vancouver can be more like kids from surrey and be all like eww i dont want to go there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #848  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:05 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
That was Sears when I was growing up...now I don't care...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #849  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:10 PM
sacrifice333 sacrifice333 is offline
Vancouver User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
the sign says "Supercentre".
IIRC, in Walmart-ese 'supercentre' means this one also has groceries.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #850  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:55 PM
vanlaw vanlaw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Is there a traffic light into the Canadian Tire development from Grandview? That would be the determining factor for convenient access.
RCSS and Petcetera both have access off less busy Rupert Street.
... and dare I say that their surface parking lots are more appealing to shoppers than a parkade?

BTW - does this Walmart have a full grocery selection? i.e. the sign says "Supercentre". The Walmart at Capilano only has dry goods and prepackaged/processed refridgerated and frozen items.
Yes, I'm pretty sure a light at Bentall St, or it may be at Natal. Agree with surface over parkade - I think mentally it just looks "easier" for people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #851  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 11:23 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,166
yes there is a light and a dedicated turn lane IIRC.

Also wal-mart —. No more please.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #852  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 11:39 PM
Whalleyboy's Avatar
Whalleyboy Whalleyboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,014
I'm actually jealous of vancouver cause i hate big box stores and their freakin parking lots!
canadian tire is the worse for it in surrey
the superwalmart in south surrey doesnt even have as much parking spots as the canadian tire in surrey centre
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #853  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:26 AM
hollywoodnorth's Avatar
hollywoodnorth hollywoodnorth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 6,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Agree. Putting one somewhere in the downtown eastside would do wonders for that neighbourhood the same way it did for a formerly nasty neighbourhood in Chicago.
got a link on this? sounds interesting
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #854  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 4:56 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm on the other side. RCSS seems to have a loyal customer base. LOL. The place is a mess, I really hope Walmart and Price Smart force them to clean up their act.

How about Pet Smart? Now we have 3 giant pet stores within a few blocks? I'm betting one of them won't make it (my bet is on the old Petcetera closing).

This is the slow part of the year for retail. I'm not sure how Canadian Tire has done so well in the last 10 years but they must know something.

Walmart will do well virtually anywhere. It's the cheapest price for a lot of things, as long as they are turning a profit on their prices, they're laughing.
that RCSS location is pretty old

the new RCSS layout is really nice

they just redid the store on king george highway and its so much better - i bet the east van store will be made over soon - those two level photo booths are pretty much gone from every other store now - they have been reduced to a counter basically no one needs film developed anymore really
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #855  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:01 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Is there a traffic light into the Canadian Tire development from Grandview? That would be the determining factor for convenient access.
RCSS and Petcetera both have access off less busy Rupert Street.
... and dare I say that their surface parking lots are more appealing to shoppers than a parkade?

BTW - does this Walmart have a full grocery selection? i.e. the sign says "Supercentre". The Walmart at Capilano only has dry goods and prepackaged/processed refridgerated and frozen items.
1. they installed a traffic light for the Canadian Tire development on Natal street - so its navigable - a bit of a pain if you are driving along grandview cause you hit 4 lights in a very short time if you catch it wrong

2. the walmart has everything that the typical supercentre would - meat dept, fresh vegetable, produce, fruit etc, a deli, cheeses, bakery, full dairy etc. full grocery dept.

it is just all very condensed in all depts but offers everything - apparently its a "model" for how other new walmarts might work - they are using the ASDA model or some guy from ASDA from the UK for this store apparently - a smaller more "urban" store that doesn't require the large foot print of past stores
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #856  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 8:32 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #857  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 9:00 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
the outside of PAcific Centre where sephora will be is plastered with "Sephora opening summer 2009" posters
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #858  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 7:38 PM
johnjimbc johnjimbc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 766
I was out in West Van on Saturday and spoke with one of the employees of M Smart Design (offering eco-friendly furniture and linens) in the Villages of Park Royal shopping center. She explained they were opening a much larger downtown store in early summer.

She said it was either on or just off Hastings near Victory Park (she actually said the exact crossroad but I can't recall the cross street now). They aren't sure if they'll keep the current location in West Van or not as the lease expires shortly thereafter. She said they have a loyal following and their business continues to expand, but with the small location there they can't really display much furniture. They've also found that many of their customers live downtown and points south. The new much larger space will allow them to show much more of their wares and furnishings. I also got the sense that it will allow them to get much more space for about the same price, but I didn't want to pry.

Seems like a smart move to me since I always find the store appealing but small (the few pieces of furnishing they display are very nice, but it is such a small sampling). I could picture it fitting quite nicely with the emerging "design district" of modern and eclectic home furnishing stores in Gastown and over towards Beatty St. It may be a tricky time economically to move a business, but I imagine the rents are quite high there in the Villages so if they're getting a lot more space downtown and can eliminate the need for a separate warehouse (which they probably have to have now), the numbers might really work for them.

I found the store website via google. For those not familiar with them, here is the link: http://m-smartdesign.com/index.php

Last edited by johnjimbc; Jan 26, 2009 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Added website link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #859  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 2:30 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
I have a friend working at Hollister on opening day at Pacific Centre....it's opening Thusrday, Jan. 29.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #860  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 2:32 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
2 days away eh
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.