Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali
You seem tobe in this mindset that we cant do one AND the other.
|
Where did you get the idea that I believe improving a hood like DT can be achieved with one thing or the other, but not both, or a combination of factors?
However, when you say....
Quote:
|
Developers can spend their time making "citywatch" friendly filler for the deadzones all day and nite til the end of time. I still think...STILL... think that transit it a top priority. Besides, as it is now, we cant even fill the structures and space that is already downtown, lets not build more. Give the economy time to turn around, then worry about the next "Medallion" type filler.
|
You certainly do state that we're at a point where we can do one thing but not the other. And given the economy, you're correct.
However, I'll ask if you had the choice between improving the hood through the process of new devlpt vs improving transit----& you could select one but not both options----what would you pick?
Here's another question: I wonder who is gonna be more disappointed over the next several decades?
The ppl who believe improving LA, esp DT, depends on making transit alot better, even though the scale of mass transit projs probably won't come more than a fraction close to what exists in cities like NYC. Again, given the $$ required, & the amt of time & planning the MTA faces over the next few decades, extending the red line to west LA, & a few other light rail projs are going to be the extent of what we'll see in mass transit in LA, at least before we're all senior citizens.
Or ppl like me who believe improving LA, & mainly DT, depends on making hoods less fugly & depressing, even though the scale of new devlpt probably will never be more than a fraction of what exists in cities like Hong Kong, NYC or various cities in Europe. Again, alot of businesses & ppl with $$ in SoCa still seem to favor hoods other than, & in many case far removed from, DT.
And, ladowntowner, I defer to your POV, since you----unlike me or most SSPers----do live in DT. Beyond that, I'd give your opinion even more benefit of the doubt if I'd been able to notice most ppl through the yrs saying they liked DT, much less loved it.
However, I can never get over the many times I've heard & read very negative reactions from way too many ppl towards DT. It's at those moments I wanna say, hey, it's not as bad as you say it is! In fact, it's much better than you make it sound!