HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #981  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 6:58 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post

I don't think anyone has posted this one yet:


by ecstaticist
That's a nice aerial shot. Downtown Vancouver really is quite dense. Are they going to build out east (towards DTES?)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #982  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:01 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
Yes Seattle does have a good music scene but Vancouver's film industry can whup Seattle's. Also vancouver is much more dense than Seattle and to be honest, i *personally* have often found it quite boring there, simply because i am not a music scene person. Also the majority of Canadians don't go shopping in Seattle for the vibe, they go down to the depressing sprawl outlet malls for cheep deals. I feel we have some seattle trolls on our Vancouver photography forum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #983  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:11 PM
Only The Lonely..'s Avatar
Only The Lonely.. Only The Lonely.. is offline
Portage & Main 50 below
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,872
Nice picts! Keep em' coming.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #984  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 7:32 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yes Seattle does have a good music scene but Vancouver's film industry can whup Seattle's. Also vancouver is much more dense than Seattle and to be honest, i *personally* have often found it quite boring there, simply because i am not a music scene person. Also the majority of Canadians don't go shopping in Seattle for the vibe, they go down to the depressing sprawl outlet malls for cheep deals. I feel we have some seattle trolls on our Vancouver photography forum.
Someone took an unwaranted and frankly incorrect shot at Seattle... they are just defending their city. Im sure we would do the same in their position.

And Metro, if you find seattle boring maybe you should spend more time downtown and not at the "depressing sprawl outlet malls". Seattle's downtown is usually quite busy with quite a bit of bustle and noise almost any day of the year. There are a ton of cool restaurants, bars, jazz lounges etc that make the city a great place to visit or live.

Also how does our film industry make this a better/more vibrant place to live?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #985  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 8:28 PM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
I agree with you Leftcoaster. I used to hate on Seattle until I actually spent some time downtown last summer and was able to get a feel for the place. It was vibrant and interesting even on a Sunday morning, especially Pike Place Market. I would definitely go back and spend even more time there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #986  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:49 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I feel we have some seattle trolls on our Vancouver photography forum.
Better go get those spidey-senses of yours re-tooled.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #987  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 3:11 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
I personally just don't find Seattle entertaining, and yes i have spent time in the downtown area, which does feel rather small to me. Not to say there are not beautiful parts to it, and i would agree that they have a better music scene, but as i said before that is not my scene. And actually having major film productions can add a great vibe to a city, you would agree if you have ever been invited to a full scale production party

But if someone from Seattle does not like what someone on a Vancouver forum said about it then they don't have to come belittle Vancouver. We can all have our own opinions and to me Seattle is boring. Not everyone has to like Seattle. The same way not everyone has to like Vancouver, or Toronto, or Osaka, or Paris etc...

And saying its downtown is smaller than Van's is not trying to be provoking, it is just a geographical fact.

And it is also true that the majority of Canadians who cross the border here are only going to the outlet malls, which i find depressing (hence why i have only been to them twice in my life).

So why does everyone here have their — in knot?

Again, why is it wrong for me to have an opinion that i personally find Seattle boring? I *personally* have more fun in Edmonton, Reno, and Portland than i do in Seattle. My ex-girlfriend lived in Tacoma, so trust me, i have been to Seattle many times.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #988  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 7:18 AM
Hong Kongese's Avatar
Hong Kongese Hong Kongese is offline
Yellow Fever
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 506
I thought were not allowed to do the city vs city thing on this forum..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #989  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 8:08 AM
vansky vansky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong Kongese View Post
I thought were not allowed to do the city vs city thing on this forum..
we shouldnt waste time comparing cities, obviously vancouver is more interesting tha nseattle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #990  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 9:38 AM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
we shouldnt waste time comparing cities, obviously vancouver is more interesting tha nseattle.
I have to say that I like Seattle I enjoyed my time there when I went down there. It's a very beautiful place. Is downtown Vancouver "denser" - yeah, I think it is. There's a lot to do down in Seattle, some very interesting places, and lots of places to just hang out. Vancouver and Seattle both have their pros and cons, and I enjoy both cities. I love Vancouver, because well, this is where I'm from, and I love my city, but I'm not going to belittle Seattle, simply because I'm a Vancouverite.

Seattle's a great place, and there're lots of great things about the city (the Mariners - well, at least when they were winning, the Pike Place Market (that such a neat area. I think the first Starbucks store is there!). I'm planning on going down to Seattle with some friends in a few weeks time, so it'll be good to go down there again. I love the new(er) Premier Outlet malls, 'cause I can get some pretty good deals down there. Is it sprawl? Yeah, it is, but that doesn't hinder me and my friends from going down there and enjoying our time there. I think Seattle has a lot of potential still (Corporately, they are much MUCH stronger than Vancouver) to densify, and they will given time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #991  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:28 PM
Delirium's Avatar
Delirium Delirium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,227
here's more all from www.flickr.com










































Last edited by Delirium; Jan 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #992  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 2:01 AM
Hong Kongese's Avatar
Hong Kongese Hong Kongese is offline
Yellow Fever
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 506
^^ Nice cars!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #993  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:06 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Taken by me today, most of these were taken near Commercial Drive.

The fog has lifted! Well, mostly. Although while I post this, it's back extra thick again...


A perfect day for some pictures:


Hockey polo?? It's played here all the time:




Fruit & veg shoppers:


A Citroen and a Renault. Cooooooool:


I feel like I'm back in winter! There's hardly any snow left where I live, closer to Commercial Drive:


Hmmm, yeah, good idea. That ice isn't thick at all:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #994  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 7:53 PM
phesto phesto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: yvr/bwi
Posts: 2,699
^Great shots.

I stopped on the way down from Cypress yesterday to snap one of Shangri-la and Mt.Baker:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #995  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 9:55 PM
Spring2008 Spring2008 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lower Mount Royal, Calgary
Posts: 5,147
^Clever!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #996  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
Lighthouse Lighthouse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 14
sweet picture of the Shangri-la! I love fog season
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #997  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 10:01 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
I don't know why, but i feel this is one of the best skyline shots i have ever seen of Van

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #998  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 1:53 AM
touraccuracy's Avatar
touraccuracy touraccuracy is offline
Registered Loser
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,569
shangri-la looks massive!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #999  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 2:07 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Two shots from my balcony, just a short while ago:



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1000  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 2:12 PM
Delirium's Avatar
Delirium Delirium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I don't know why, but i feel this is one of the best skyline shots i have ever seen of Van

^ yeah.. i agree. two reasons for me. 1 because it shows mostly our commercial business district and few condos and 2, goes to show that we don't need mountains to have a nice looking skyline. also, the new Georgia tower is going to fill in that gap on the left really well.

Last edited by Delirium; Jan 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:05 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.