Quote:
|
Here's something you might not have known, that same hotel was restored ~15yrs ago, I know because I was involved in that project. It lasted only a few years before it was is such condition that it wasn't liveable again. Now here we go again. I'm glad you see it as an investment, but I can assure you that unless something dramatically changes from last time, this hotel will not be liveable anywhere near 25yrs from now.
|
Exactly, these rooms should come with a price, and the price is rehab. All homeless should be given a warm place to sleep, but while at that place they have to partake in rehab programs. Not just for drugs, but also to teach them proper hygene and room up keep. No more free rides. Yes i also agree that the mentally ill should have hospitals. I would be very happy to see my tax dollars going to mental health facilities. If one is not mentally ill (addiction not counted as a mental illness) or does not want to take on the responsibility of cleaning their own room and going to rehab, then they should be forced into enclosed rehab facilities. Where they would also be put into community services.
Sid note - While it is easy to blame the government for closing the hospitals, we should also blame the ultra liberals who demanded the hospitals be shut down because they felt it was cruel and against human rights to keep these mentally ill individuals in the hospitals. So they were all let go. Now i am no expert on human rights but what i see happening on the downtown east side (where most of these individuals ended up) is not humane. Now they are dirty, addicted to drugs and dying. I think the hospitals (managed properly) are a much safer and humane alternative than allowing them to kill themselves and rot on the streets.