HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #801  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 5:08 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784


Who was is recently saying that the city should install Christmas lights on Main St. between Temple Sq. and Gallivan Plaza?

It looks like they already do, but the quality and consistency of the lights is so bad it looks like something I would do.

The city should get whoever does the lights on Temple Sq. to install them along Main St.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #802  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 8:35 PM
ski_steve ski_steve is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

Who was is recently saying that the city should install Christmas lights on Main St. between Temple Sq. and Gallivan Plaza?

It looks like they already do, but the quality and consistency of the lights is so bad it looks like something I would do.

The city should get whoever does the lights on Temple Sq. to install them along Main St.
yea i said that, the night I went downtown those lights werent on. And i agree with you, they should be better placed, done better and more of them
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #803  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 10:29 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,759
I prefer the snow during Christmas and not the 80 degree weather, but I really like the lights in downtown Hollywood during the Holidays.

Hollywood Blvd.

by Micah 777

We use to have allot of great lights in downtown Salt Lake on Main and State Street. There also use to be some great decorations at each intersection. They were kind of suspended in the center of each intersection by wires running from the buildings. I really think that once CCC is up and running and Main Street picks up again, we'll see a resurgance of Christmas Spirit. I wouldn't expect to see too much before then though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #804  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 5:14 AM
blazefirelight's Avatar
blazefirelight blazefirelight is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 104
That does look cool, but it definitely needs to have atmosphere about it that's Christmasy. I don't think Christmas when I think Hollywood.

Does Gallivan get really lit up? I don't remember seeing it being really lit up. I'll probably have to check it out again when I go sometime.

I don't know if Main Street could pull off all the hanging lights. It may be able to, but all the TRAX wires would be very distracting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #805  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:06 AM
MetroFanatic MetroFanatic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazefirelight View Post
Does Gallivan get really lit up?
Only when nobody is looking. Just kidding.


I remember there being quite a few lights there last year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #806  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:46 AM
TANGELD_SLC's Avatar
TANGELD_SLC TANGELD_SLC is offline
The World Is Welcome Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 883
I went to Gallivan sunday too and it was lit up, just nothing spectacular. It was SOOOOO empty too. I was the only person there, and it was like 9:30
__________________
Espavo!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #807  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:54 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
I walked through Gallivan Plaza last night at around 6:30 and it was deserted as well. At first I thought the ice rink was closed, but it was open, there just wasn't anybody there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #808  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 5:04 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,759
I know many forumers have mentioned it before, but one business that this area really needs to kick 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on right now, is the movie industry. Whenever the economy is bad, people stay in and the movie business booms. I'm thinking that Blockbuster and Netflix are doing a very brisk business these days. We could give the movie companies a very good incentive, and the profit return to the state would still be many times the investment. We especially need to work on having several T.V. series in production right now along the metro. Salt Lake is missing out big-time by not capturing the CW crowd.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #809  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:34 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
If it's any consolation, I walked through Gallivan at about 6:00 on Tuesday night and there were quite a few people. The ice skating rink had a handful of people on it, with a small group watching, some people walking through, taking pictures with kids, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #810  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:10 PM
cololi cololi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I know many forumers have mentioned it before, but one business that this area really needs to kick 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on right now, is the movie industry. Whenever the economy is bad, people stay in and the movie business booms. I'm thinking that Blockbuster and Netflix are doing a very brisk business these days. We could give the movie companies a very good incentive, and the profit return to the state would still be many times the investment. We especially need to work on having several T.V. series in production right now along the metro. Salt Lake is missing out big-time by not capturing the CW crowd.
Diverge from topic: Movie production and TV production are two very different animals, primarily because TV production has to draw ratings and advertisers have to be willing to pay a premium to justify the costs to produce the TV show. Movie production relies on gate receipts. TV production costs are going through the roof right now. When the networks decide which shows to cut, production costs almost outweigh ratings. When a television show is shot in Utah, and likely other locations outside of Hollywood, they need to do most of their shoots on location because we do not have adequate studios here. It jacks up the production costs. Touched by An Angel and Everwood ended production because their ratings could not justify the production costs. Sometimes bad shows stay on the air for years because they are so cheap to make while good shows go off because they are way too expensive to produce. This is the reason that so many reality tv shows are on the air, particularly in the summertime. Meanwhile, a show like CSI can send a three man crew to Vegas to shoot some file footage of the city and then film the rest of the show in a studio or production lot in Vancouver or Hollywood. Ever notice that whenever they shoot inside of a casino, it is the same set that was built for the show "Las Vegas"?


Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #811  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 7:04 AM
MetroFanatic MetroFanatic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 298
A fifth level of cladding is now in place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #812  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 11:29 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,759
^^^
^^^
Cololi, much of what you are saying is very true. While there have been a few excellent studio developments over the last few years, I would be the first to admit that we could always use more. However, you would be surprised how little studio space is needed for a shows like CSI, Grey's Anatomy, Boston Legal, The OC, Desperate Housewives, etc. A significant amount of production is shot outdoors, throughout the local environs. I've worked regularly on most all of the top 20, and this area is more than capable of handling these productions, with the proper incentive package and cable deal in place.

To make a long story short, I've spent an inordinate amount of time in LA studios and on t.v. and movie productions over the past 12 years. Typically, I wouldn't even want to touch the major networks with a ten foot poll, as far as a series goes. Formats such as cable, (sci-fi, teen soaps,) etc., would be more ideal for the Wasatch. As far as movies, this area is potentially very competitive.
Really, it's all about the incentive package, which the state is working on and hopefully will nail down this coming year.
In short, there are many ways to skin a cat where Utah and film production are concerned. It's a business development that has served this state well in the past, and we need to continue to make every effort to develop it's potential.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #813  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 1:12 PM
MetroFanatic MetroFanatic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
^^^
Cololi, much of what you are saying is very true. While there have been a few excellent studio developments over the last few years, I would be the first to admit that we could always use more. However, you would be surprised how little studio space is needed for a shows like CSI, Grey's Anatomy, Boston Legal, The OC, Desperate Housewives, etc. A significant amount of production is shot outdoors, throughout the local environs. I've worked regularly on most all of the top 20, and this area is more than capable of handling these productions, with the proper incentive package and cable deal in place.

To make a long story short, I've spent an inordinate amount of time in LA studios and on t.v. and movie productions over the past 12 years. Typically, I wouldn't even want to touch the major networks with a ten foot poll, as far as a series goes. Formats such as cable, (sci-fi, teen soaps,) etc., would be more ideal for the Wasatch. As far as movies, this area is potentially very competitive.
Really, it's all about the incentive package, which the state is working on and hopefully will nail down this coming year.
In short, there are many ways to skin a cat where Utah and film production are concerned. It's a business development that has served this state well in the past, and we need to continue to make every effort to develop it's potential.
This film student agrees.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #814  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 6:12 PM
blazefirelight's Avatar
blazefirelight blazefirelight is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 104
You guys can probably continue all of this discussion about the movie industry on the Salt Lake Skyline on Mad TV thread. It kinda turned into a Salt Lake City/Utah entertainment industry thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #815  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 6:25 AM
MetroFanatic MetroFanatic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 298
Hey Projects, you might want to add http://www.222main.com/ to the highrise thread.

Also, the building itself has topped off, but when do you guy suspect the crown will be completed?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #816  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 8:42 AM
TANGELD_SLC's Avatar
TANGELD_SLC TANGELD_SLC is offline
The World Is Welcome Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 883
Someone needs to get some pics of 222. I'm in Arizona right now or I would.
__________________
Espavo!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #817  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 9:51 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Yeah, I don't want that Hollywood Blvd. 🞵🞵🞵🞵. It looks like something from a 60s game show...very gaudy.

Anyway, I took this photo Friday night.



The thread where it's from:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=162292
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #818  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 3:37 AM
blazefirelight's Avatar
blazefirelight blazefirelight is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 104


Beautiful building, that! It looks really nice. I can't wait until more of it is completed. Like, half of the front and a little bit of the back side. I can't wait to see what will be in the retail portion of the building!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #819  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 3:19 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
I don't understand why many of you would want to demolish the Benion Jewelers Building for a glass tower. I think it looks nice and fits in with the historic character of Main Street. I'd rather see a glass tower on the 100 South and State Street.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #820  
Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:08 AM
skierforlife17's Avatar
skierforlife17 skierforlife17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Park City/Salt Lake City
Posts: 141



I sure hope one day we consider building like this downtown. So unique and awesome .. What about doing this with that little white bank( Former Eagle Emporium) downtown on main street!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.