HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
Levar obviously doesn't understand what makes successful cities but he's partly right. Outsiders have been pretty awful at making design decisions for too many cities and neighborhoods. It's a problem that's rarely ever solved for.

At the same time, that rendering shown for Jefferson Park is hugely problematic. It might be dense, but it's street presence is severely compromised on two sides. The side street is held hostage by the driveway and garage component. The front of the building is compromised by its superblock status. These are exactly the kind of buildings that fail miserably when you're walking alongside them at night.
yeah, It's really not that appealing. I'm wishing we could put something...nicer there. cooler? It's not gonna happen until Levar is dead, though. He owns the ward. It makes me sick. suuuure, I bet all those businesses and people with Levar signs all over actually have a choice in supporting the fat bastard

the superblock status you mentioned...it's just kind of a tough situation right there. You got lawrence reaching between milwaukee and the train/I-90, with some one ways in the mix. It's just a weird area. I'm sure with all the creative talent in the world, somebody could think of something that would satisfy the situation. And if they did, you've got a development within a halfblock of the interstate, cta buses, the el, pace buses, and metra. jimminy christmas. I don't think there is a better place to be in the entire city when it comes to transportation (other than downtown)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 5:02 AM
Registered

^ But that's just it... seeing such crap architecture in such an exciting environment with such potential.... it just makes me sick. What you describe is the kind of complexity and challenge that the good architects would kill for. That's the cake right there.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ But that's just it... seeing such crap architecture in such an exciting environment with such potential.... it just makes me sick. What you describe is the kind of complexity and challenge that the good architects would kill for. That's the cake right there.
Agreed. Additionally, the design for the plot shown on the previous page is a great example of pretentious "Architecture", in which silly little superfluous details that are a shallow and cheap imitation of their respective inspirations are tacked on to appeal to the lowest common denominator of taste. Either the "architects" who designed this junk truly find these elements aesthetically valuable, or they know that the general populace is too stupid and undiscerning to appreciate anything, well, not pretentious, shallow, and cheap. There are too many of these details in the development to mention, but the offset "Jefferson Village" planter/sing/piece-of-crap/whatever thing is particularly tacky and useless. Do these honestly look classy and appealing to anyone? I'm actually afraid to know the answer.

I know that the apartment building at Harlem and Ontario in Oak Park is sort of love/hate around here, but I prefer that 100x over to the Jefferson Village pile. In fact, not only do I prefer it, but I enjoy it. At least it's honest. I'm just so damn sick of all the fake BS, and it's far too pervasive. It already ruined a substantial portion of Mag Mile, and it's going to get worse with the Ritz. When will the city achieve some beneficial disillusionment?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 7:08 AM

Have there been any updates to this project that spyguy posted about earlier this summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
On the site of the Sears Auto Center
13 story, 160 unit building facing Lawrence with three levels of retail
50 townhome units on the northern part of the site
4 story parking garage in between both developments

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 8:07 AM

Earth moving equipment has been working at the little North/Clybourn triangular lot.
Somehow I doubt Apple is moving in there anytime soon. Maybe just gas station remediation?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
^Its a dead project. The rendering you posted Viva was of the older proposal. Lavar wouldn't support the project in part because of the bike store fiasco. The developer (MEGA) however, has had a friendly relationship with Lavar in the past, and Lavar's ward offices were even located in one of MEGA's developments, Veteran's Plaza (the big, brown brick 10 story office building attached to a strip mall). MEGA in the past had been building a plethora of ugly little strip malls up and down Milwaukee Avenue, but has in recent years turned to constructing fairly decent mixed use development.

The plan latter changed to building a six story building and a 10 story building with a plaza in the middle, then no plaza at all and just sandwiching the hold out bike shop between the two buildings. It was actually a good plan. The height allowed for generous setbacks on Lawrence Avenue for a much wider sidewalk, and a setback along the alley to the south for some buffer space for the neighbors. The parking was to be all under ground, for both the condos and some even set aside for the retail. The community FREAKED OUT, and I was one of the many people who sat through a community meeting that ran for about 3 hours. Sam Assafa tried to do a presentation on TOD benefits but couldn't even get through it without being interrupted multiple times by screaming NIMBYs. I was a lamb set out to slaughter when I supported the project in front of the angry mob.

(...)
For a different angle on this development, Ben Joravsky wrote an article on it a couple years ago. http://www.chicagoreader.com/tifarchive/060224/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 3:40 PM

^ thanks for the link. Zordani is just a dick, even to people who buy from him (yup, I've bought a bike from him. never again). But it makes me slightly happy that he was such an effective dick to levar. But I do wish the store would go. And who thinks he could have gotten 1.3 million bucks on the open market at the time like he claimed?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 4:49 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I know that the apartment building at Harlem and Ontario in Oak Park is sort of love/hate around here, but I prefer that 100x over to the Jefferson Village pile. In fact, not only do I prefer it, but I enjoy it. At least it's honest. I'm just so damn sick of all the fake BS, and it's far too pervasive. It already ruined a substantial portion of Mag Mile, and it's going to get worse with the Ritz. When will the city achieve some beneficial disillusionment?
Exactly.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 11:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Grant Park Conservancy and Grant Park Advisory Council public meeting:

Thursday, December 18, 2008, 6:30pm

Daley Bicentennial Plaza Fieldhouse
337 E. Randolph ( just east of Columbus Drive)

Planning for the Southwest Corner of Grant Park: public input

EDAW and Adrian Smith +Gordon Gill Architecture are working with the Grant Park Conservancy and Advisory Council and Chicago Park District to design a world-class, sustainable park at the SW corner of Grant Park at Roosevelt Road and Michigan Avenue (east of the Agora sculptures to Columbus Drive) where the railroad tracks and huge empty railroad beds are now. The planners and architects will be making a presentation. Your input will contribute to what could be the most innovative and green park in the country.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 11:55 PM
BANNED

I cannot make it to the meeting but if you can share my thoughts about this issue. Feel free to quote me directly if you want.

Please lord cover the tracks.

Someone call Obama, about this and the McCormick Place truck marshaling yards need a complete and utter covering ala MP but without the massive parking areas and the needed weight to support any super structures. Just give us a green top and the 2016 thingy will be so much better off and the city in the long haul.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 12:12 AM
Registered

Great news that Smith+Gill is doing that design... let's hope it's spectacular.

Also, I forgot to mention that a trio of buildings was the topic at last week's landmarks meeting:

- The Chicago Orphan Asylum, 5120 S. King Drive

- What they're calling "Lincoln Avenue Row House District," 1928-1936 N. Lincoln Avenue

- Lindblom Tech, 6130 S. Wolcott Avenue

A nice group of buildings to round out a decent year at the Commission.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 12:43 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Grant Park Conservancy and Grant Park Advisory Council public meeting:

Thursday, December 18, 2008, 6:30pm

Daley Bicentennial Plaza Fieldhouse
337 E. Randolph ( just east of Columbus Drive)

Planning for the Southwest Corner of Grant Park: public input

EDAW and Adrian Smith +Gordon Gill Architecture are working with the Grant Park Conservancy and Advisory Council and Chicago Park District to design a world-class, sustainable park at the SW corner of Grant Park at Roosevelt Road and Michigan Avenue (east of the Agora sculptures to Columbus Drive) where the railroad tracks and huge empty railroad beds are now. The planners and architects will be making a presentation. Your input will contribute to what could be the most innovative and green park in the country.
I'm curious to know how far north the plan to cover the tracks goes. Balbo? Congress? Jackson? Monroe???

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:09 AM
THAT Guy

http://www.uptownupdate.com/2008/12/...maryville.html

'Centrum Properties' To Develop Maryville Site

"A representative from Centrum Properties contacted us today to ask about scheduling a meeting with the community. This process will begin to move fast, and we as a community need to understand and clearly relay our concerns, demands, and questions to the developer and the Alderman's office.

So please come to the meeting Thursday night at 7pm at Kahawa Coffee House, 838 W. Montrose so we can discuss our concerns and questions. This project will have a large impact upon the neighborhood and our quality of life over the next couple of years."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 5:03 AM
THAT Guy

Good and Bad news

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...03&TM=86103.41

New life for Schoenhofen building
East Pilsen-based brothers envision commercial in historic structure

By KATE GARDINER

...The building is now undergoing renovation by the East Pilsen-based firm Athens Construction. The company, which bought the building for about $400,000 two years ago, has budgeted more than $2 million for its renovation into modern commercial space that could include galleries, music, a bar or restaurant. On the western edge of the existing structure, the firm will build a service shaft for stairs and elevators.
---------------

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...569&TM=86091.9

End of the line for St. Boniface?
Coptics disappointed as preservationists vow a fight

By MICAH MAIDENBERG

The Archdiocese of Chicago has applied for a permit to demolish the long-shuttered St. Boniface campus in West Town three months after it asked developers to submit bids for redevelopment of the site.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:10 AM
TL;DR

I'll try to make it to the meeting about the Grant Park South plan. EDAW and Smith/Gill working together can only be good.

HOWEVER - there's no guarantee this thing will actually be built. As far as I know, the city is not involved in any sort of meaningful fashion, besides helping to shape the plan on a rough level, and they have not committed to paying for anything yet. Also, I'm way too cynical about the Park District to believe that they would build anything with good design - the wonders of Millennium Park came about as a result of private money, remember.

Also, I doubt anything built down here would be a tourist attraction on the level of Millennium Park. MP is a straight shot down Madison from Union and Ogilvie Stations, it sits above a third Metra station, it's two blocks from State Street, and 4 blocks away from the beginning of the Mag Mile - i.e., perfectly-placed to draw people. Grant Park South will be much more of a residents' park, I think. It is relatively close to the Museum Campus and the Roosevelt CTA/Metra Electric stations, so it's not in a bad location either - but it seems like a museum trip is a more self-contained trip, where you drive there and park across the street, whereas visitors to State Street or the Mag Mile, a pedestrian-oriented experience, can go to MP as just another thing to do.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'll try to make it to the meeting about the Grant Park South plan. EDAW and Smith/Gill working together can only be good.

HOWEVER - there's no guarantee this thing will actually be built. As far as I know, the city is not involved in any sort of meaningful fashion, besides helping to shape the plan on a rough level, and they have not committed to paying for anything yet. Also, I'm way too cynical about the Park District to believe that they would build anything with good design - the wonders of Millennium Park came about as a result of private money, remember.

Also, I doubt anything built down here would be a tourist attraction on the level of Millennium Park. MP is a straight shot down Madison from Union and Ogilvie Stations, it sits above a third Metra station, it's two blocks from State Street, and 4 blocks away from the beginning of the Mag Mile - i.e., perfectly-placed to draw people. Grant Park South will be much more of a residents' park, I think. It is relatively close to the Museum Campus and the Roosevelt CTA/Metra Electric stations, so it's not in a bad location either - but it seems like a museum trip is a more self-contained trip, where you drive there and park across the street, whereas visitors to State Street or the Mag Mile, a pedestrian-oriented experience, can go to MP as just another thing to do.
^^^All the more reason for a michigan ave / museum camput circulator...maybe circulating as far north as Hancock area and as far south as Science and Industry

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:50 PM
TL;DR

A lot of suburbanites won't take a bus, unfortunately, and the free "trolleys" are now canceled. I don't think the city is actively planning any sort of circulator route besides the Carroll Street line that connects Mag Mile/Navy Pier to the West Loop train stations.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...569&TM=86091.9

End of the line for St. Boniface?
Coptics disappointed as preservationists vow a fight

By MICAH MAIDENBERG

The Archdiocese of Chicago has applied for a permit to demolish the long-shuttered St. Boniface campus in West Town three months after it asked developers to submit bids for redevelopment of the site.
The church is magnificent and ideally will be saved if possible, but of course large churches tend to be total albatrosses that are very costly to maintain or adapt to other uses (smaller churches can at least go condo).

At the same time, I have some philosophical issues with the idea that tax-exempt organizations like the Archdiocese maintain a vested right to maximize return on their assets without broader consideration for the well-being of the taxpayers who subsidize their continued existence and operation, but that's sort of a whole other issue that won't come into play for this go-round. Chances are this church is a goner.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:03 PM

Hey I havent been on here in a while and I was wondering if there has been any new updates on the new Barneys New York Department Store at Rush and Oak? When is the expected completion date? I know it should be getting pretty close?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:48 PM
BANNED

^^^ Its almost done, they are putting the final touches on the building and have been working on the sidewalks and street-scaping, will probably be done in January, as to when it opens, who knows, depends on how long it takes them to move everything over from the old building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development