HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2881  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 5:54 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
Because they are spoilt little children who want it their way or the highway, exactly, close your dam blinds and dont be such a —. My parents have a pull dont blind at their house that leaves the room so dark, it makes it look like night when it is day, so i don't believe the sleep excuse.
     
     
  #2882  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 5:58 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Because they are spoilt little children who want it their way or the highway, exactly, close your dam blinds and dont be such a —.
edit.
     
     
  #2883  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 5:58 AM
raggedy13's Avatar
raggedy13 raggedy13 is offline
Dérive-r
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,450
Alright, try to take things down a notch and just agree to disagree.

Metro-One, you got your point across and I'm sure many agree with you on the forum (including myself) but lets not let this discussion degrade any further. I know you can be a passionate guy when it comes to certain issues but try to keep any name calling to a minimum. Thanks.
     
     
  #2884  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 5:59 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
Fair enough, I appologize to ckkelley. I am just a guy who loves his city, so i will try and make my passion more constructive next time.
     
     
  #2885  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 5:59 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I'd think rule number one in living downtown is to get blinds ??? If not for the light from nearby buildings but for your own privacy as well. Why should you complain when there are clear simple things you could do to improve your own living space to avoid light from nearby buildings ? I'd understand it if the lighting is so bright that it penetrates your blinds and distracts your sleep and whatnot. However, I doubt that is the case...
Because I like my night-time view the way it is. I don't want to have to close my blinds.

That's why.
     
     
  #2886  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:00 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Fair enough, I appologize to ckkelley
Accepted and my comments removed.
     
     
  #2887  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:01 AM
NetMapel's Avatar
NetMapel NetMapel is offline
Hello World
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
Because I like my night-time view the way it is. I don't want to have to close my blinds.

That's why.
I suppose. I've lived in other downtown before where it's bright. I just close the blind before I go to sleep and open it again the next morning. I don't think you'd be enjoying the awesome view when you're sleeping anyways, right ?
     
     
  #2888  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:03 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
I suppose. I've lived in other downtown before where it's bright. I just close the blind before I go to sleep and open it again the next morning. I don't think you'd be enjoying the awesome view when you're sleeping anyways, right ?
I'm talking about when I'm doing my general living. Anyway the situation is purely hypothetical.
     
     
  #2889  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:04 AM
raggedy13's Avatar
raggedy13 raggedy13 is offline
Dérive-r
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,450
Well here's to hoping that the Residences at the Hotel Georgia lighting will be enjoyable for all.

I remain optimistic.
     
     
  #2890  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:05 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
Yes indeed. It sounds beautiful from the descriptions and will add great atmosphere to downtown if it matches what i imagine.
     
     
  #2891  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:06 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
People that live downtown are anywhere shouldn't need to close their blinds, they bought their units because of the view, not to hide from it.

And to clarify I don't live downtown, but i do live in the city and in the area I current live I'm very active in pursuing densification and more amenties to make that area less "sleepy".
I also have a large sum of money invested in 2 condos d/t in a neighbourhood that needs improving, I've put my money where my mouth is and will be moving into one of them and doing what I can to improve the area. I won't be using my blinds though but that's fine as no one will be able to see me.

Downtown today is much better then it was before there were all the condos, take it from someone old enough to remember, you might think they are hurting the "entertainment district" but without all those people living d/t there would not be nearly as much vibe nor would there be as many services available. Downtown during the 70s and 80s was terrible.
     
     
  #2892  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:07 AM
raggedy13's Avatar
raggedy13 raggedy13 is offline
Dérive-r
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 4,450
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the raindrop lighting effect turns out. I'm also really looking forward to seeing what happens with those squares on the Shangri-La. I'm hoping that December is the month that they'll be turned on if they are in fact lighting.
     
     
  #2893  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:12 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
Well of course you have your blinds open during the day and when you want to be looking upon the world, but i think it is more cutious to the city, its public and privite corporations and the atmosphere at large that when trying to sleep one should do what is easily able to be done in their own power (such as closing the blinds) before expecting everyone outside to turn off their lights for you. Just my path of thought. The world is full of give and take an no matter where you live (the suburbs, downtown, on a farm) there will be expected sacrafices on your behalf.

PS - walked by Fairmont today and it is looking good!
     
     
  #2894  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:18 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well of course you have your blinds open during the day and when you want to be looking upon the world, but i think it is more cutious to the city, its public and privite corporations and the atmosphere at large that when trying to sleep one should do what is easily able to be done in their own power (such as closing the blinds) before expecting everyone outside to turn off their lights for you. Just my path of thought. The world is full of give and take an no matter where you live (the suburbs, downtown, on a farm) there will be expected sacrafices on your behalf.

PS - walked by Fairmont today and it is looking good!
I'm not gonna harp on about it. Call me a nimby, I just don't care.

For the record I expect that the RHG will be the centerpiece of my view.

Day or night.
     
     
  #2895  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:19 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
well then i dont need to say anymore, those who read my side and your side can decide for themsleves.
     
     
  #2896  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:20 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
well then i dont need to say anymore, those who read my side and your side can decide for themsleves.
We have a deal.
     
     
  #2897  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:21 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
The windows aren't due to be washed at Shangri-la for a while still, but they will be before the opening of the hotel.
The only purpose of the squares is to reflect light at 12:00 on the equinoxes. It's amazing what happens, unfortunately it only happens twice year and it's usually cloudy and/or raining.

Anyways some good news that somehow no one has posted yet, the provincial government is investing over $10Million in upgrading Science World and expanding it to include a science park outside.
     
     
  #2898  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:29 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,371
ahh nevermind I cant' figure out how to embed a youtube video.

Anyways I can't find the document anymore which had some cool pics of the upgrades but I found this snipet online.

The B.C. government has decided to give Science World BC $10.5 million for upgrades and a new outdoor science park. Science World is a non-profit organization which promotes science and technology and will be building a 7,803-sqm park with part of the money. The park will explore science and sustainbility, including ideas such as clean energy and earth science. Science World was originally the site of Expo 86 and was only scheduled for the fair, now almost 23 years later it's time for a long needed upgrade. Both the interior and exterior of Science World with get some well deserved attention. Now called Telus World of Science, it attracts more than 525,000 visitors annually, as well as 180,000 children, educators and parents .

Last edited by jlousa; Dec 10, 2008 at 6:46 AM.
     
     
  #2899  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:55 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
Because I like my night-time view the way it is. I don't want to have to close my blinds.

That's why.
and people with binoculars thank you

thats the one fave sport when visiting my friends in their west end highrises bring out the binoculars and check the buildings
     
     
  #2900  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 9:34 AM
Hed Kandi's Avatar
Hed Kandi Hed Kandi is offline
+
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Lets clear some stuff up shall we. First my name is jlousa not jlouse, I won't nitpick spelling normally as I'm a terrible speller, but you did it repeatedly thru out your post. It's inconsiderate.
Hahahaha.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:44 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.