HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #761  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:51 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Looking at that first pic it looks like crews are working on the crown.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #762  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 8:11 AM
TANGELD_SLC's Avatar
TANGELD_SLC TANGELD_SLC is offline
The World Is Welcome Here
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 883
I can't believe it's almost topped off
Time sure has flown by. I'm starting to like the cladding more and more, Especially in pics of downtown when it's just rained.
Anybody know why though they are being so SLOOOOOOW with getting the cladding done?
__________________
Espavo!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #763  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 11:07 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Then I'm on board!

But seriously, nice design. It would look good on that corner. Do you think if five or six of us went into Zion's Bank and asked for a loan, we could build it?
Yeah, I have to agree. Every time my friend and I would go to a Jazz playoff game the past two seasons, we'd stop there and get food.

That place, though, is scary. I remember a date, my friend and his buddy went to the Utes-Wyoming game last year and then the Jazz-Grizzlies game later that night and prior to the game, we stopped off there. After eating, leaving the restaurant, some homeless lady saw us and started talking about the Jazz and tried to hug us all. I knew right away what she was doing, so I bolted, but my friend wasn't as lucky.

Freaking psychos. But it makes for interesting stories.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #764  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 3:48 PM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Maybe it'll be a classier place if its inside a high-rise.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #765  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 3:56 PM
blazefirelight's Avatar
blazefirelight blazefirelight is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 104
It probably would be. And like I said, it would probably get a ton more business. From people just visiting the city or working, and from people who live in the condos above. Maybe I should work on the designs more and send it into some firm and see if they think it's a good idea? Or maybe some sort of city commission?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #766  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 10:50 PM
Stenar's Avatar
Stenar Stenar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,234
Radio City

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Anyway, I'd also like to see something built across the street where that bar is. It's two small buildings ajoined. One is empty and rotting and the other is a bar, but I can't recall the name. It's got the Olympic logo painted on the South side of it. Anyone know the one I'm talking about? I think that would be a great spot for a tower. Behind it there is just parking all the way over to 2nd east.
The bar in question is called Radio City and it's the oldest operating gay bar west of the Mississippi. It's been a gay bar since the 1950s. But the people who go there nowadays are the same ones who went there in the 1950s.

I'm opposed to tearing it down just for its historical value of having been a gay bar in SLC for over 50 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #767  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:00 AM
MetroFanatic MetroFanatic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
After eating, leaving the restaurant, some homeless lady saw us and started talking about the Jazz and tried to hug us all. I knew right away what she was doing, so I bolted, but my friend wasn't as lucky.
That reminds me of the time I was at a McDonalds in Washington D.C. a homeless guy pressed his face against the glass and gave us puppy eyes as we were leaving.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #768  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:18 AM
Ute_City's Avatar
Ute_City Ute_City is offline
Gone Fishing.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC Metro
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Anyway, I'd also like to see something built across the street where that bar is. It's two small buildings ajoined. One is empty and rotting and the other is a bar, but I can't recall the name. It's got the Olympic logo painted on the South side of it. Anyone know the one I'm talking about? I think that would be a great spot for a tower. Behind it there is just parking all the way over to 2nd east.
I will occasionally catch the bus at the stop by this bar there but I often prefer to walk to another stop to not have to wait there even if it means an extra walk. Public intoxication and begging is common. I have heard that this bar is a drug haven and it would do much good for the downtown core to have this eyesore gone. Not all old buildings have to be preserved.
__________________
Something witty...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #769  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 7:32 AM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ute_City View Post
I will occasionally catch the bus at the stop by this bar there but I often prefer to walk to another stop to not have to wait there even if it means an extra walk. Public intoxication and begging is common. I have heard that this bar is a drug haven and it would do much good for the downtown core to have this eyesore gone. Not all old buildings have to be preserved.
These are not reasons to tear down a building. The public smoking ban will take place soon anyway, which will take care of the intoxication part. Also, if someone begs you for money, you just tell them NO! Salt Lake City takes very good care of it's homeless population.

According to Stenar, this building is a landmark and has historic significance on a national level. It could possibly become an attraction in the not too distant future: when gay and lesbian citizens are treated equally under the law. Like Stenar said, this bar is the oldest operating gay bar west of the Mississippi. For a bar of this nature to stay alive for so long in what was, and sometimes still is, a hostile environment, is a big accomplishment! This building is a piece of history, one that Salt Lake City residents can be proud of.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #770  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:01 AM
nickfreakingrules's Avatar
nickfreakingrules nickfreakingrules is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: S.L.U.T. (the good part)
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ute_City View Post
I will occasionally catch the bus at the stop by this bar there but I often prefer to walk to another stop to not have to wait there even if it means an extra walk. Public intoxication and begging is common. I have heard that this bar is a drug haven and it would do much good for the downtown core to have this eyesore gone. Not all old buildings have to be preserved.
WOW! You HEARD its a drug heaven, huh?! Well that proves it. Better tear it down, and while you're at how about pioneer park. And hey, I've actually seen drug deals go down with my own eyes at the main city library. Better tear that down too, and the gateway. I can't count the amount of public intoxication and begging I've seen around that place, and its a REAL eyesore for downtown. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't drug deals going down at Temple Square. Lord knows enough of them go down in the suburban homes of the holier that thou faithful. (that includes all religions, so do think I'm bashing just mormons, I'm bashing them all. ) Ever heard of the drug rates of house wives in this state? At least there aren't children in a bar.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you sound like an old school marm.

I'm sure there is a better solution than tearing the place down. I had no idea that place was a gay bar, or that it had been open for so long! Very impressive, considering its in one of the most unfriendly states for gays. I know its no Stonewall or anything (famous gay bar on the national register of historic places) but it sounds pretty historic to me. Just the thought of there being a gay bar in slc in the super homophobic 50's.

Just because its not your history doesn't mean its not historic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #771  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:08 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
I guess I don't understand the statement, "It could possibly become an attraction in the not too distant future: when gay and lesbian citizens are treated equally under the law."

Can gay and lesbian citizens not take vacations, or sight see? I just got back from a vacation with my boyfriend and I would say that I did not encounter any bigotry or large "NO GAYS" signs. If anything I find that the vast majority of people are very pleasant and accepting.

Not trying to fan any flames that just makes no sense to me, and neither does saying that a public smoking ban will stop intoxicated people from being on the streets. If they can't smoke in bars...that shouldn't stop homeless dudes from getting trashed on the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #772  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:45 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Just a little note on the bar. According to the director of Downtown Rising the owner of the bar is the original owner who is now in his 90's and he is finally considering hanging it up and selling the bar. So if he chooses to sell it to the city or to UTA then that is his business. He will most likely sell it to the organization or person that makes him the best offer.

So when he sells it to the city or UTA I don't want to hear a bunch of people bitching about how hateful the city is towards gay people, it just simply comes down to the fact that the city and uta were interested in the property for a transit center and he decided it was time to sell.

I have nothing against any of you on here that are gay, straight, LDS, or any other religion. I often times think that people on both sides of many different issues, not just this one, seem to look at everything as an attach on them and their way of life.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #773  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:19 PM
UTPlanner's Avatar
UTPlanner UTPlanner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 941
Perhaps I shouldn't have said anything earlier. I am not trying to incite any fervor. I have lived in a number of cities in this country and I honestly have never found a city where I was treated better than good ole SLC. Though there are some bad apples here and there, generally this is a very accepting and generous community!

As a sidenote FutureMayor I won't judge you based on your assumed heterosexuality. (That was an attempt at a joke.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #774  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:17 PM
cololi cololi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
The public smoking ban will take place soon anyway, which will take care of the intoxication part.
Ban smoking, and less drunks? Who knew that public intoxication has such a simple solution.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #775  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:21 PM
Ronald-Dregan's Avatar
Ronald-Dregan Ronald-Dregan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Lake 801
Posts: 112
people tend to disregaurd other peoples beliefs or lifestyles. I used to think this state was pretty open minded.. but the truth is people are so set in their ways and beliefs they cant comprehend alternative reason. Its like people are programed for so long when change happens its like personal vendetta.

If I could give any advice it would be:

Be as open minded as you can, that doesn't mean you have to agree or like it, but don't personalize it or take it as war. You wonder why so many wars are going on, and have gone on in the history of this world. People stop communicating and stop accepting differences.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #776  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 6:31 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
I don't mean to sound like a 🞵🞵🞵, but do you guys think we could take this debate over to the Salt Lake Thread? This thread is about 222 South Main and has gotten way off the subject.


Also it looks like something is going on at 222 South Main. Looking at the webcam it looks like there is a group of people starting in front of the building with a few more people on the 4th floor. Maybe it's a press conference?
Not sure, but check out the live cam.
http://www.homeviewtech.com/hamilton/protected.html
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Dec 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #777  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 7:50 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Yeah, there's definitely something going on down there:




Perhaps it's an unveiling ceremony for the leasing phone number they recently placed on the newly installed section of facade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #778  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 7:57 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,755
... if so, those people are easily entertained...LOL
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #779  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 7:59 PM
urbanboy urbanboy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Downtown Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
Ban smoking, and less drunks? Who knew that public intoxication has such a simple solution.
Haha Yeah, that was silly, I didn't equate intoxication with drinking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #780  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 9:31 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,755
Welcome Nickfreakingrules, I enjoyed your post.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.