HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #481  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 12:06 AM
Wishblade's Avatar
Wishblade Wishblade is offline
You talkin' to me?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
Theres plans for 2 more highrises on the old mt&t site they were just waiting for demand to get back up after summit. They'll be starting one of the buildings in the spring.
That's good news. Do you have any details on it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #482  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 12:56 AM
dartmouthian's Avatar
dartmouthian dartmouthian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 51
hopefully they,re better looking than the summit. the desin of it was kind of dissapointing and bland. A really modern glass highrise would look great on the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #483  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 3:09 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Once again I got very bored tonight so I went out to Wal-Mart and took the very long way home. Willow Ridge (the one in the picture) has Phase I complete.

Also Trinity-Harbourview has a few townhouses complete. Theres no sign of the multi-unit buildings right now.

I'm really starting to hate the slowness of the snow removal here. Its been a day since the storm and the 118 collector lanes still haven't been plowed. I was only going 30-40km/h!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #484  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 4:50 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
To my knowledge there was only one other building planned for the site next to summit. The eight storey building that was approved by community council at least 3 years ago now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #485  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 5:31 AM
wackypacky's Avatar
wackypacky wackypacky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 56
I have a relative that works for dexter and they are supposed to be starting in spring and they are both going to be similar to the 2 buildings there now. I think the problem with the summit is that its penthouse looks incomplete. Something more like horizon would look much better. I think maybe they changed the original plan for the 8 story because under hrm by design that land is zoned for high density residential and they allow for a much higher building without the approval process. But thats just speculation im just a noob.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #486  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 8:34 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
I have a relative that works for dexter and they are supposed to be starting in spring and they are both going to be similar to the 2 buildings there now. I think the problem with the summit is that its penthouse looks incomplete. Something more like horizon would look much better. I think maybe they changed the original plan for the 8 story because under hrm by design that land is zoned for high density residential and they allow for a much higher building without the approval process. But thats just speculation im just a noob.
HRM by Design only applies to downtown halifax, not the Circ area. I haven't heard of any plans that would change the heights there. Maybe the municipality allowed for higher buildings without a development agreement?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #487  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 11:30 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackypacky View Post
I have a relative that works for dexter and they are supposed to be starting in spring and they are both going to be similar to the 2 buildings there now. I think the problem with the summit is that its penthouse looks incomplete. Something more like horizon would look much better. I think maybe they changed the original plan for the 8 story because under hrm by design that land is zoned for high density residential and they allow for a much higher building without the approval process. But thats just speculation im just a noob.
They will still require a development agreement, which has been granted for a 8 storey building. HRM by design doesn't deal with this area yet, and besides HRM by design needs to be approved by the spring to proceed under its rules.

I believe they would be starting in the spring if the global economic crisis wasn't the way it is. Financing is extremely difficult right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #488  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:51 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,994
Something random to mention: I read an article a while ago implying that the plans for the Herald Lands are fairly concrete and that there are architectural renderings. Once a convention centre plan is chosen we should get the details for what will happen with these blocks one way or the other (as I've mentioned before, I'm simply hoping it goes mixed use with some office space, residential, and retail).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #489  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:32 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
With regards to the Herald lands. They already had a development ready to be released when the city went looking for proposals for the new Trade Centre and it was to be mixed use residential and office and retail. So I would assume their Trade Centre proposal would still have all of those components. One can hope at least. Speaking of which, shouldn't the winner be chosen soon?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #490  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:44 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
I'm hoping and praying for some residential, office and retail components for this convention center (which I'm assuming will be on the herald lands, simply because it's the easiest solution, so HRM and that numb nuts Kelly will naturally gravitate towards it) but my gut feeling tells me that it's going to be a white elephant
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #491  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 8:51 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
I was around East Dartmouth today for the first time in years. Just some things i noticed:

- From what i saw on the Circ Russell Lake West is looking very nicely.

- Some nearby condos (part of Russell Lake West?) are looking nice as well.

- NSCC CBE is coming along nicely.

- What is happening on Pleasant St at the Circ? I noticed a lot of construction equipment and new curbs.

- Not in East Dartmouth but the Highfield Office Building looks really big. Does anyone have the square-foot of the building?

-And the site of the old YMCA which is proposed of the United Gulf Towers had some construction crews on it...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #492  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 10:51 PM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
- What is happening on Pleasant St at the Circ? I noticed a lot of construction equipment and new curbs.
No idea, although I get stuck in it every day. Far as I know that's it, new curbs; I can't see it being related in any way to the construction activity at the old Moirs factory.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #493  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 1:08 AM
Haliguy's Avatar
Haliguy Haliguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
No idea, although I get stuck in it every day. Far as I know that's it, new curbs; I can't see it being related in any way to the construction activity at the old Moirs factory.

I drive by ther everyday. It appears to be related to the Moirs redevelopment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #494  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 1:22 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
One thing i forgot to ask was;

- Hows the Penhorn Mall redevelopment coming along? I noticed some construction equipment and i could see part of a building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #495  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2008, 1:44 AM
Wishblade's Avatar
Wishblade Wishblade is offline
You talkin' to me?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
One thing i forgot to ask was;

- Hows the Penhorn Mall redevelopment coming along? I noticed some construction equipment and i could see part of a building.
Yeah, thats the new Sobeys under construction, which is being built where the old Wal Mart was. The building seems to be getting closer to completion at this point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #496  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 2:56 AM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
Regarding the construction on Pleasant Street, they were doing some road widening to incorporate a center turning lane. Excellent, because so often people making a left turn into the strip mall by the gas station would back up traffic in the left lane, and a lot of people seem to turn in there (myself included, to get my morning Robins coffee). It's a shame this couldn't be continued all the way up to the intersection with Atlantic Avenue, a dedicated left turning lane for the cars and buses heading to the ferry terminal.
They created a new entrance/driveway to the old Moirs building almost directly opposite the gas station, so the center turning lane will also serve that in the opposite direction. Anybody know much about what's going on in there? Lot of construction activity and renovations on the building. Last I heard some sort of retail development, and I also heard that Valu Village may be involved as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #497  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 4:53 AM
wackypacky's Avatar
wackypacky wackypacky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 56
the only thing i can tell you is that value village is moving in there and they plan on moving in march so its a little ways off yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #498  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 1:45 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
As most people know, the Marquee Club on Gottingen is closing - for good this time.

Rumors have been swirling about it - and the old gas station/automotive place place beside it - being knocked down for condos. I haven't read anything substantial to back this up though.

Given the decent sized lot behind it, proximity to other residences, and the pseudo-facelift of Gottingen going on with the Theatre Lofts, Falkland st constuction and apparent condos planned for the old Met/Envirostore building, it doesn't seem to far from the truth to believe the rumor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #499  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 1:55 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
As most people know, the Marquee Club on Gottingen is closing - for good this time.

Rumors have been swirling about it - and the old gas station/automotive place place beside it - being knocked down for condos. I haven't read anything substantial to back this up though.

Given the decent sized lot behind it, proximity to other residences, and the pseudo-facelift of Gottingen going on with the Theatre Lofts, Falkland st constuction and apparent condos planned for the old Met/Envirostore building, it doesn't seem to far from the truth to believe the rumor.
Not sure if the marquee will be sold to the developer, but i believe a developer owns the rest of the block to staples, plus the buildings besides the Trinity site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #500  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 2:05 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
I should ad I've also heard Victor is in talks with the owners of the rest of the block. It could potentially be a large development.

Hopefully if this happens there will be some ground floor retail. That was a real opportunity lost with 5505 Falkland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:20 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.